Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last August I bought a 2005 Sport Wagon 3.0L and I'm new to the forum. I like the car a lot, it seems in pretty good condition overall, but needs a right side valve cover replacement (oil leak at the DVT). I've been searching for the valve cover with no luck so far. Any sources that any of you know of? Or, is there another fix that will handle the oil pressure at that point? Or, is the burning oil smell something that's just normal for 1st gen cars?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Another LONG TOP!! Welcome to the forum. There is a guy in the community (The Great NY if memory serves correctly) who has figured out and comissioned a set of oil seals to replace that built in gasket for the VVT solenoid. I've installed them in my wagon and have been leak free ever since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much, Alex – very nice of you and that sounds promising. I was hoping that there would be an alternative to just letting it leak and smelling the burning oil. I wonder how to get in touch with the oil seal guy? Is there a place on the forum to check or put a call out for the gasket? (So, it's actually "VVT"? Good to know.)

·
Rally Racer
2,353 Posts
Hey @Gary_6_Sport Great looking wagon and welcome to the forum. The only DVT I know of is Deep Vein Thrombosis and its not a good thing. :p

If you are looking for a valve cover I would go to a salvage yard for that. If you are looking for the seal on the oil control valve OCV I believe I have sourced one from Misumi USA AE1538E5
They are sitting on my bench and although I have not put them in yet they do match the dimensions of the originals. Two cost me $12.92 ($22.83 delivered). I believe another user also sold those here as @waughoo mentioned. The GreatNY sells them through his page Twisted Tuning.

Also, if not leaking from the valve cover then the most common place I have heard (mine included) is oil leaking from the timing cover. From there it drips down onto the exhaust and smoke gets sucked into the cabin fresh port.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha Ha Ha!!

Thanks, DFG! Nice of you to help out, too.

DVT, VVT, OCV – whatever it takes. You're right, DVT would not be good. Glad it's not that.

Do you think the difference in dimensions on your Misumi seal compared to the original is going to cause a problem for you when you do the replacement?

Man, you guys have some deep knowledge of the 6s!!

Many thanks,
Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts