Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my passenger side motor mount yesterday and had a lot of trouble getting this bolt to go in. It was taking so much effort just to turn at this point (shown in pic) that the inside of the motor mount was starting to turn with the bolt. That didn't look right so I stopped and snapped a picture. Took bolt out and bolt threads aren't any different than before. Still goes into old mount smoothly/without any issues. Peeked inside new motor mount but couldn't see any threads severed or debris of any kind. I feel like my options are to get a new motor mount, get some washers or rent a tap and die set just to be sure the threads are working properly. Would be happy to hear what you all think. Am I just too weak to screw a bolt all the way in? Haha
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably a different thread pitch. Did the new mount come with a nut? Make visit to the hardware store and try a different pitch.
New mount did not come with its own bolt. The bolt is about 2.5 inches long and it goes in about 3/4 of the way just fine, just has trouble finishing. Could the pitch difference be small enough to not notice it until I'm that far in? It's not a gradual increase in difficulty of threading it in, it's as if it bottoms out, but there is definitely space in there for more bolt. I took it off and cleaned the inside threads of the mount as best I could with a wire brush, reseated the bolt with some washers as spacers for now. Probably not a permanent solution though. I'll have to do as you suggest sometime soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the threadpitch is a little different and the metal very hard then it could happen. It does seem unlikely to get that far only to be stopped then by thread pitch. I would imagine you would just torque right through it at that point.
Can you screw the nut on upside down? It could have some damage on it that has been cut out of the original mount thereby allowing it to operate smoothly.
It's a fairly hard bolt, as I understand it (grade 10.9). I considered powering through, but I was seeing more movement within the motor mount than I felt comfortable with. The bolt screws right into the motor mount and there is no way to thread it upside down. At this point, and in-lieu of my washer "solution," I can't imagine I would lose too much structural integrity if I cut the bolt half an inch shorter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts