Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my passenger side motor mount yesterday and had a lot of trouble getting this bolt to go in. It was taking so much effort just to turn at this point (shown in pic) that the inside of the motor mount was starting to turn with the bolt. That didn't look right so I stopped and snapped a picture. Took bolt out and bolt threads aren't any different than before. Still goes into old mount smoothly/without any issues. Peeked inside new motor mount but couldn't see any threads severed or debris of any kind. I feel like my options are to get a new motor mount, get some washers or rent a tap and die set just to be sure the threads are working properly. Would be happy to hear what you all think. Am I just too weak to screw a bolt all the way in? Haha
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,403 Posts
Changed my passenger side motor mount yesterday and had a lot of trouble getting this bolt to go in. It was taking so much effort just to turn at this point (shown in pic) that the inside of the motor mount was starting to turn with the bolt. That didn't look right so I stopped and snapped a picture. Took bolt out and bolt threads aren't any different than before. Still goes into old mount smoothly/without any issues. Peeked inside new motor mount but couldn't see any threads severed or debris of any kind. I feel like my options are to get a new motor mount, get some washers or rent a tap and die set just to be sure the threads are working properly. Would be happy to hear what you all think. Am I just too weak to screw a bolt all the way in? Haha
Probably a different thread pitch. Did the new mount come with a nut? Make visit to the hardware store and try a different pitch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably a different thread pitch. Did the new mount come with a nut? Make visit to the hardware store and try a different pitch.
New mount did not come with its own bolt. The bolt is about 2.5 inches long and it goes in about 3/4 of the way just fine, just has trouble finishing. Could the pitch difference be small enough to not notice it until I'm that far in? It's not a gradual increase in difficulty of threading it in, it's as if it bottoms out, but there is definitely space in there for more bolt. I took it off and cleaned the inside threads of the mount as best I could with a wire brush, reseated the bolt with some washers as spacers for now. Probably not a permanent solution though. I'll have to do as you suggest sometime soon.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,403 Posts
New mount did not come with its own bolt. The bolt is about 2.5 inches long and it goes in about 3/4 of the way just fine, just has trouble finishing. Could the pitch difference be small enough to not notice it until I'm that far in? It's not a gradual increase in difficulty of threading it in, it's as if it bottoms out, but there is definitely space in there for more bolt. I took it off and cleaned the inside threads of the mount as best I could with a wire brush, reseated the bolt with some washers as spacers for now. Probably not a permanent solution though. I'll have to do as you suggest sometime soon.
If the threadpitch is a little different and the metal very hard then it could happen. It does seem unlikely to get that far only to be stopped then by thread pitch. I would imagine you would just torque right through it at that point.
Can you screw the nut on upside down? It could have some damage on it that has been cut out of the original mount thereby allowing it to operate smoothly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the threadpitch is a little different and the metal very hard then it could happen. It does seem unlikely to get that far only to be stopped then by thread pitch. I would imagine you would just torque right through it at that point.
Can you screw the nut on upside down? It could have some damage on it that has been cut out of the original mount thereby allowing it to operate smoothly.
It's a fairly hard bolt, as I understand it (grade 10.9). I considered powering through, but I was seeing more movement within the motor mount than I felt comfortable with. The bolt screws right into the motor mount and there is no way to thread it upside down. At this point, and in-lieu of my washer "solution," I can't imagine I would lose too much structural integrity if I cut the bolt half an inch shorter.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought a mount once with bad threads and had to tap them out to make it work. Also you could have the wrong bolt because if I recall correctly there actually are two different bolts that Mazda used at various times and so you might have a mismatch. Hardware store trip is in order.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,403 Posts
It's a fairly hard bolt, as I understand it (grade 10.9). I considered powering through, but I was seeing more movement within the motor mount than I felt comfortable with. The bolt screws right into the motor mount and there is no way to thread it upside down. At this point, and in-lieu of my washer "solution," I can't imagine I would lose too much structural integrity if I cut the bolt half an inch shorter.
Right. I was under the impression it was a nut. It is a bolt and the threads are damaged or not cut deep enough down inside the mount. Exchange the mount.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,403 Posts
Would a tap and die set not come in handy in this situation? Or better to just not bother and swap the whole thing out?
Its up to you. I love "making things work" and relish the opportunity to fix it , (minding that the reason it was replaced was to do just that).
I have taps so it would be something I would have likely done as soon as it resisted but if I had to go rent them, and then return them, and possibly still have to replace the mount, I would likely not. I am too busy these days and I don't even have to go to the back of the envelope to figure out it is not worth my time. You could of course repair it and find out that there is an incompatability or other issue with the bolt and be back at square one. "So many unknowns the future." "Uncertain it is."

·
Registered
42 Posts
When searching for a replacement part of this mount, many reviewers ran into this with aftermarket parts. The OEM part matches the nut, but many of the non-OEMs had a different thread and people were (I think doing) what you are considering ... head to the hardware store for alternates.
You might search through some reviews of the part you bought. Other people may have the solution you need.

Reactions: DrFeelGood
1 - 10 of 10 Posts