Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just recently bought a black 2005 fully loaded 6S with 7300 miles. I love the car and I think this is a great site. One thing I noticed is a ticking noise in the engine. I was not sure this is normal so I looked around and found the TCB on this site about the cam ticking noise. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Is the v6 generally quiet or is a ticking noise normal for this engine? Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
You will hear a light ticking noise if you are standing outside of the vehicle. You shouldn't hear anything from the inside.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Mine tends to go away as soon as the RPM needle drops at idle indicating the car has warmed up. Usually ticks for maybe 4-5 seconds after first being turned on.

Doh, mines an 04

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hello,
I just recently bought a black 2005 fully loaded 6S with 7300 miles. I love the car and I think this is a great site. One thing I noticed is a ticking noise in the engine. I was not sure this is normal so I looked around and found the TCB on this site about the cam ticking noise. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Is the v6 generally quiet or is a ticking noise normal for this engine? Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks
[/b]
Mine ticks somewhat on warm (above 75 degrees F) days when the engine is completely warm. Based on what the repair listed in on the TSB is I haven't bothered to do anything about it. The 3.0, however, is NOT a quiet motor at all, at least compared to the 1.8t Audi I had before it and particularly compared to the BMW 325 I had before the Audi. Lots of little mechanical rattles and ticks (fuel injectors, belt, pulleys, etc. etc. etc.). To make myself feel better about it I just tell myself it's a Porsche-designed motor and Porsche concentrates on performance not noise ;)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Porsche designed motor ? really ?
[/b]
Porsche was involved with the initial design of the Duratec 25.

From Wikipedia:

The 2.5 L and 3.0 L V6 Duratecs are evolutions of the same design, first used in the 1994 Ford Mondeo. It is a modern aluminum DOHC V6 with a 60° bank angle. The primary engineering input came from Porsche, who were developing a similar V6 before selling the engineering to Ford, and Cosworth, who helped with cylinder head manufacturing.[/b]

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Porsche designed motor ? really ?
[/b]
yeah, this engine was a little slut when it came to mazda, ford, and porsche... i think there was one more, but can't remember if there was.

i do have ticking a good bit, but mostly eliminated when using 89octane gas in my 3.0L. still can't get rid of it all though, *sigh*

·
Registered
634 Posts
yeah, this engine was a little slut when it came to mazda, ford, and porsche... i think there was one more, but can't remember if there was. [/b]
Porsche never used it, they just did a lot of the design work. Cosworth had a hand in it as well.

All of the FoMoCo brands save Range Rover, Aston Martin, and Volvo (I think...not sure about the SUV) have used it.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Porsche never used it, they just did a lot of the design work. Cosworth had a hand in it as well.

All of the FoMoCo brands save Range Rover, Aston Martin, and Volvo (I think...not sure about the SUV) have used it.
[/b]
Yamaha's went into the XC90's, again Mr. Taylor u r correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts