Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got around to dynoing the car as a baseline without my intake on, (had it off for dealer work)

3k miles on the mobil 1 5w20.

here's the dyno. 4th gear pulls.

25k miles on the car. redline mt90 in the trans.

look at the a/f ratios. notice that it doesnt get pig rich. this holds with the idea crossbow had that the 05's had a different ecu tune. I think the 05's make more power than the 03-04's because of it. discuss.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Nice Dyno....

I also hate you stupid MTX's.... with your less drive train loss. Those are the numbers I put down w/ the cp-e. save a ffew less torque

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Yeah, I see the A/F. Interesting. They look like good numbers though! Get the CP-E back on though! =)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I also agree that the ecu is different on the 05+ models compared to the earlier models. That would also explain why a lot of 05 owners haven't received a cel with the aem, k&n, and mazdaspeed CAI.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think the CEL with regard to intakes is caused by increasing the pipe diameter around where the MAF takes a sample, making the reading incorrect. now, the a/f table in the 2005's might run a bit richer when cruising, thus the reason for less cel's... that might be possible.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i think the CEL with regard to intakes is caused by increasing the pipe diameter around where the MAF takes a sample, making the reading incorrect. now, the a/f table in the 2005's might run a bit richer when cruising, thus the reason for less cel's... that might be possible.
[/b]

At cruise they are in closed loop trying to accomplish 14.7:1 a/f as with any emssions controlled vehicle.

A more likely reason for less CEL on 05s with aftermarket intakes would be that the in the 05s when you change the MAF housing (with an CAI) the % of sampled air from the MAF doesnt change as much as it did in previous years..

It would be realy nice if someone would make a CAI with the proper sized MAF housing, so that it would retain the stock MAF operation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Got around to dynoing the car as a baseline without my intake on, (had it off for dealer work)

3k miles on the mobil 1 5w20.

here's the dyno. 4th gear pulls.

25k miles on the car. redline mt90 in the trans.

look at the a/f ratios. notice that it doesnt get pig rich. this holds with the idea crossbow had that the 05's had a different ecu tune. I think the 05's make more power than the 03-04's because of it. discuss.
[/b]
Wow your A/F is way better than mine, and this was witht he stock air box back on??

Now I hate to be mean, but you do realize your #s are in STD correction. SAE correction would put the numbers slightly lower. SAE correction factory is considered the industry standard for chassis dyno's. STD was in the past used for engine dyno correction, and there for some shops continue to use it for chassis dynos, but it does make for high #s. I dont recall the exact #s but I believe this is close.

SAE corrects to 77 degrees, and a baro of 29.23. STD corrects to 60 degrees, and a baro of 29.92. As you can see STD makes from more favorable conditions, conditions that rarely exhist unless you are in some cool states with very low humidity..

Now it doest make a huge differane on the power levels these cars make but I will give you an example. My 6S made 196whp 190wtq at SAE correction, at STD correction these #s jump up to 199.68whp and 194wtq.

Its just something to keep an eye on when compairing dyno #s so that you can insure you are getting accurate infomration. There is nothing wrong with STD #s but you want to remain consistant in the correction factor you are using, especialy when looking at the benifits or lack of with certain modifications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts