Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2004 Mazda 6 V-6. I have a question about the cooling fans on the engine. The fans on my car have a variable speed operation. They seem to speed up and slow down as needed. They are loud (air noise). I have driven a new 2006 V-6 and it does not have this fan operating characteristic.

Can some of you 2004 V-6 owners tell me if this is normal? I am trying to avoid the expense of going to the dealer to figure this out.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It would be normal for the fan to speed up and slow down, but the V6 has had problems with the fan control module so if it seems like the fan is running on high a lot and the car is fairly cool that could be the culprit.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Does the fan stay on after you shut off the car? If so, then your fan module is going bad and needs to be replaced at the dealer.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the fan does run after the car has been shutdown. And the fan will run when the engine is not up to normal operating temperature.

I guess I need to make a trip to the dealer. Thanks for all the information

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yes the fan does run after the car has been shutdown. And the fan will run when the engine is not up to normal operating temperature.

I guess I need to make a trip to the dealer. Thanks for all the information
[/b]

Yea i just notice that myself with my car that i can hear the fan going up and down in speed and also when i get out of my car the fan will run for a few more seconds before it stops. I thought that was odd as i don't remember that ever happening before. So you are saying the module is going bad?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need a new fan control module.

I just took mine to the dealer a few weeks ago for the same problem. My fan was really loud, seemed to go up and down in speed, and would stay on after the car was turned off. Took it to the dealer and they replace the module for free under warranty. Its a common problem, just take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the same problem. I will take it to the dealer. I knew that was different sound than last summer! Thanks for the post!

-ben

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Lapis6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing