Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love it and I hate it. I dunno, I like it. :) Its got extreme fuel efficiency too. I was thinking about buying a Prius so I can run around in real estate with very high mpg and then make my money to buy the Mazda6/Miata/RX-8 as a weekend car... At the same time, I could just buy the Mazda6 and get 19/27 city/highway mpg vs the Prius' 52/45/48 city/highway/combined mpg. The Prius seems like the practical one while any of the three above listed Mazdas seem like fun weekend cars.

Pics below:

My only concern is seeing over that dashboard in the last pic?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Reading Topic: 2004 Toyota Prius

Yeah it looks quite radical, even....Futuristic....Very Daring for Toyota to do so....

Looks very space efficient too & Dashboard area is very different for a production model....

I think it will be much more popular than previous Prius, but still not as popular as "regular" everyday cars ...??

What will the cost be I wonder ??

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The old Prius was like $20,000 to start. This one, I imagine, won't be too much more than that. At the same time, the U.S. government gives Prius owners a one-time $2,000 tax deduction off their yearly taxes. So, that in itself, pays for the car.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Replying to Topic '2

Originally posted by Gecko_2k2

I love it and I hate it. I dunno, I like it. :) Its got extreme fuel efficiency too. I was thinking about buying a Prius so I can run around in real estate with very high mpg and then make my money to buy the Mazda6/Miata/RX-8 as a weekend car... At the same time, I could just buy the Mazda6 and get 19/27 city/highway mpg vs the Prius' 52/45/48 city/highway/combined mpg. The Prius seems like the practical one while any of the three above listed Mazdas seem like fun weekend cars.[/b]
Yeah.. but... but but but.. but.. it's UGLY! :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Its different. Let's just leave it at that. ;)

Besides, if I get a Prius and then use all that money I saved on gas towards getting an RX-8, I could be driving beauty on the weekend and "different" during the week. :D

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic '2004 Toyota Prius'

The thing I found cool when one first came up to the shop is that there wasn't a sound. The only thing was a few little pebbles under the tires. Nothing else made any sound from the car. There's something to be said for that. :D

·
Registered
319 Posts

Personally a diesel VW would be my pick. Hybrids seem great, but I'm a bit skeptical of the batteries needing to be replaced and the associated costs. In addition, cars such as the Prius and Civic Hybrid are made to be fuel economy machines with hard rubber tires, not much sound deadening, and not too great handling.

The VW's on the other hand (TDI Golf, Jetta, Beetle) get 42/49 I believe in the 5 speed tranny, but other than the engine they're a REAL car. Real tires, real handling, good room, etc. And there is no doubt the diesel motor will last longer than the hybrid systems. You can pick up some of these diesel cars for ~$18,000. Probably more standard features than on the Prius too.

I'm disappointed we can't get more diesels in America. Everyone still thinks they're stinky, bucket of marbles, sooty machines. Drive any modern diesel, and in many instances they are better than their gasoline counterparts. Gobs of torque, decent hp, and great fuel economy. In anything but a sports car, diesel just makes sense in my book.

That's my opinion. Just remember too, you may pay $20,000 for a Prius and get the $2000 discount, but if you bought a Corolla or Civic (non hybrid) it would take you a LONG time to make up the price difference in gas savings. Look at it from a money view and they make even less sense. However, if you are doing it for environmental reasons, I can certainly understand that, and saving gas is good if you don't mind doing so.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Its different. Let's just leave it at that. ;)

Besides, if I get a Prius and then use all that money I saved on gas towards getting an RX-8, I could be driving beauty on the weekend and "different" during the week. :D[/b]
Let's say Prius at 50mpg and the Mazda6 at 20mpg

35,000 miles per year

Prius =700 gallons per year at what ... $1.50/gal = $1,050

Mazda6 = 1750 Gals @ $1.50 = $2,625

Savings $1,575 or $131 per month -

At 25,000 miles a years the savings drop to $94 per month

But then you would have the extra cost of double upkeep and insuring two cars.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Ok, I'm back. Down with Prius! Just kidding! ;) I didn't know VW released Diesel's stateside. What models do they have in the diesel form?

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Reading Topic: 2004

The Mazda6 comes in Europe with a decent diesel engine. I'm getting it :D

It gives you a 35.8 mpg.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Ok, I'm back. Down with Prius! Just kidding! ;) I didn't know VW released Diesel's stateside. What models do they have in the diesel form?[/b]
I believe they have a Gold TDI and a Jetta TDI. In 2006 when the new low sulfur standard goes in for diesel, you'll see more clean running diesels released here in the States. As for the Prius, feh. I'm indifferent to the whole Hybrid thing. It's very half-assed, IMO. Nice technology showcase, but the costs never even out, in spite of manufacturer subsidies.

·
Registered
350 Posts

I'm actually thinking of getting a Prius as my next car.
They could have done better on design but it's ok, and I'll buy a motorcycle to have the funny part of life with.

·
Registered
611 Posts

They're getting closer. It still suffers from an unfortunate case of ugly. Something about the tires just makes me look away.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

It's the size of the wheels and tires. They have econobox written all over them. Think Ford Fiesta. *Shudders* Overall I think it's significantly more attractive than the last generation Prius, but that ain't sayin' a lot.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: 2004 Toyota Prius

VW sells the Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, and this fall the Passat with Diesel engines. The jetta, Golf, and NB use the 1.9L turbo diesel that's been around for awhile. I believe the Passat is coming with the latest turbo diesel, though I don't know its size.

Mercedes is hoping to have the E class back with diesel soon.

Chrysler is planning to put a Diesel in the Jeep Liberty soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts