Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was recently on RPM's website to order the Ipod audiolink and there is a warning listed that 2004 models may need to mod the headunit.... I sent Donny a PM and he said that not all models are affected and the mod that needs to be done involves opening the head unit and soldering which voids the unit.... the link that donny sent me said any 2004 models purchased on or after Jan 2004 could be affected....the only way to find out if the car is affected is to try the audiolink... i just dont want to purchase it if i may not be able to return it because i dont want to open my headunit or do soldering......

I purchased my 6 in Sept 2004 and my car was built June 2004.... could those who have a 2004 in the same time period as me post if they have the Ipod audiolink and if it did not work....

thanks..

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
if you must mod your radio- the mod invovles shorting a jumper inside the HU. it doesn't look too hard. basically, all you have to do is open the HU, scrap away the conformal coating around jumber L716, and jumper the contacts.

there's a post from JOHNNY called "my spanish aux in" it shows the mod in detail. i wouldn't worry too much. i use the the AL with my '06; it works great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's not hard at all. Don't get too worked up over it. The little bit of work that you need to put into it is totally worth it. The removal of the HU from the car takes all of 10 minutes (first time). The longest part is figuring out how to take the bottom off of the HU to get to the PC board. I used just a bit of flux on the board and did not need to scrape anything. Just a dab with the soldering iron did the trick. Reinstall took a bit longer than removal just because I was trying to keep everything from getting scratched and such.

Tip: Once you have removed the shift plate cover or shift boot cover (automatic or manual respectively), make sure you put the shift knob back on the shifter. This will prevent you from inadvertently sliding the HU into the shifter, thus scratching the shit out of your HU.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
bump
[/b]
i'm confused. is there another question here? are you trying to find someone to do the work for you? have you already bought and installed the AL, and now have new questions? tnx.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i'm confused. is there another question here? are you trying to find someone to do the work for you? have you already bought and installed the AL, and now have new questions? tnx.
[/b]

I was quite sure we answered his/her question thoroughly. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
that was my opinion as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
mk706
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing