Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. Not sure if any of you have recieved your issue yet, but checking ther website today shows C&D what they think of the new Maxima.

Some POIs:

In the Maxima, the V-6 produces 265 horsepower and 255 pound-feet of torque, much of which is available throughout a broad engine-speed range. In fact, so torquey is this engine that the driver must take care to launch with relatively few revs on the dial to avoid abusing the clutch.[/b]
Such are the risks one runs with preproduction cars, so don't be surprised to see the figures improve when we test a final-spec production Maxima. However, what probably won't improve is the fairly pronounced torque steer that afflicted our car. Because the Maxima is built on the same front-engine, front-wheel-drive large-car platform as the Altima, it exhibits the same weaving responses to aggressive throttle application, and the same wheel-tugging steering fight.[/b]
Guess those Maxima drivers will be along side those Altima drivers have to drive with white knuckles.

Another unusual feature is included in the Elite package, which provides two rear bucket seats in place of the usual bench. In this configuration, the center console continues from front to back and provides the rear occupants with generous cup holders, storage compartments, and—if so ordered—a switch to operate a rear window blind.[/b]
Thus, with more power, more style, more colors, and more variation, Nissan clearly hopes the Maxima will not only pick up where its worthy predecessor left off but also bring more believers into the fold. Without the torque steer, it would have been a pushover.[/b]
Seems that C&D really liked it, but just couldn't get over the terrible toruesteer it has. IMO, I think it's an alright car, I for oen do not like the styling of it and it would not be a car at the top of my list.

If you care to read the entire story..
<a href="http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2003/march/0303_roadtest_maxima.xml
" target="_blank">http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2003/march/0303_roadtest_maxima.xml
://http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Cara...st_maxima.xml
</a>

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Reading Topic: 2004 Nissan Maxima

Here's a novel idea: Use rear or all wheel drive for cars with over 220 hp! Take a cue from Mitsubishi (not subaru); people, All Wheel Drive sports cars are the best!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Why not Subaru? Why not Porsche? Why not Lamborghini? Why not Jaguar? Why not Audi?

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

No.. Nissan should have taken cues from Porche about how to manage the power they have up front instead of switching it to RWD. It's possible to have that much power up front as long as it's well managed!

·
Registered
791 Posts

The Max can't be RWD, cause then it'd be the G35. Agreed though- all performance cars, 220+ hp or not, should be RWD. Those with 250+ hp should have an AWD option.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic '2004 Nissan Maxima'

Originally posted by Phrosted

Here's a novel idea:  Use rear or all wheel drive for cars with over 220 hp!  Take a cue from Mitsubishi (not subaru); people, All Wheel Drive sports cars are the best![/b]
Hmmm...can an AWD car be a sports car? I shan't get into that now...

But I agree - much unlike the horsepower whores, I think 200ish is quite a good spot for a sedan. I'll agree with the AWD here, be the sedan 200 or 350 horses.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I was just referring to the 3000 GT, the 4wd supercar that I would most like to drive.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Is the 3000GT a "real" supercar or "just" a sportscar? I mean can it compete with cars like 911 Turbo or Murceilago?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

The 3000GT has only one real claim to fame, and it's not handling, 0-60, quarter mile or even HP/L, it is top speed. During it's production run, it was the fastest car (top speed wise) in that price range.

As for AWD, I firmly believe in it, and so did Zora-Arkus Duntov, the father of the Corvette Z06 Big Tank (Original Z06). In the 1960s, Duntov moved into CorvetteWorks and turned out concept after conceptual Corvette. Almost every single one of them featured two things, mid-engine design and AWD. Engines in mid-engine configurations ranging from Chevy 400 small block V8s to 2 and 4-rotor Wankel rotary engines. Despite the performance numbers it put down, despite the fact that those designs could lay to waste Corvettes almost two decades after their original design, both on the strip and on the track, they were all canned. Why?

Because what is demonstrated right here and all over North America, people seem to think anything outside of front engine and RWD, is not a sports car.

Other dead-end Vettes by Duntov include an all-aluminum body and frame (NSX-style) in the 1970s, produced by Reynold's Aluminum, but production costs were too high for the Corvette then and they stayed with fiberglass. Another notable one was the 4-seater Corvette, but when the then president of GM got into the backseat of the prototype, the seat release latch broke and the president was stuck in the back seat until they removed the front ones. Thus killed the 4-seater Corvette.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Real sportcars have AWD or 4WD. Like 911 Turbo, Skyline, WRX, Lancer EVO, Murceilago ect.

With enough power, the weight is sacrificed to handling.

·
Registered
432 Posts

The 3KGT's top speed wasnt all that impressive. It hit mid 150's, but wasnt governed. All the other big Japanese supercars did the same but were limited; just think what they could have done without the governor.

·
Registered
895 Posts

Hmm... the 3000GT is pretty fast. But after a $0 mod (gut 3 cats) it's even faster. Add another $2800 (GT357 turbos and some reinforcing) and it's a neck snapping mofo that will leave a Viper very quickly.

Not to mention it's extremely safe (lots of "I'm alive because I drove this car" stories on the web); extremely fun to drive (take turns at speeds that shouldn't be possible); and as for the top speed - a few guys with the above mentioned mods have hit 180. Check out 3si.org (great 3000GT enthusiast site ... that never goes down) for more info. That kind of top speed is pretty dangerous - I've read a few guys with aftermarket sunroofs that were literally ripped off their roofs at those speeds due to the tremendous pressure created by the windshield uplift.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: 2004 Nissan Maxima

As opposed to posting about postwhoring, which is most definitely p/w'ish. :D

·
Registered
895 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: 2004 Nissan Maxima

Damn, half my post count happened last night when I was on a Hydrocodone / Caffeine / (tiny bit of) alcohol buzz. Craziness

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Replying to Topic '2004 Nissan Maxima'

Originally posted by kenoka

As opposed to posting about postwhoring, which is most definitely p/w'ish.  :D[/b]
Or posting about posting about postwhoring - how p/w'ish isn't that!? :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts