Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving around about a week ago and the battery light comes on and it kept stalling out when I would slow down to come to a stop. New battery and terminals (since the negative broke off) and an alternator and it's still doing it. The strange thing about it is, if I crank it up the light isn't on, but when I move my steering wheel from side to side it appears. When I'm coming to a stop the rpms drop to low to keep it running. Any suggestions for what might be going on ??

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,591 Posts
Was driving around about a week ago and the battery light comes on and it kept stalling out when I would slow down to come to a stop. New battery and terminals (since the negative broke off) and an alternator and it's still doing it. The strange thing about it is, if I crank it up the light isn't on, but when I move my steering wheel from side to side it appears. When I'm coming to a stop the rpms drop to low to keep it running. Any suggestions for what might be going on ??
Hello, a few things come to mind.
If your idle speed is too low, say from a vacuum leak, the alternator will not rotate fast enough to charge. Moving the power steering puts load on the engine and slows it down even more. This might be enough for the light to come on.

You engine idle speed can also be low from a faulty charging system. The system is fused (check those and replace with know good fuse) and must complete a full circuit. Check where the battery ground cables attach to the body and motor, they must be clean.

You could also have a slipping drive belt, faulty or damaged alternator plug/wiring or replacement parts. New parts are sometimes faulty so it always pays to test.

Put a multi tester on your battery with the car off. The voltage should read 12.4v or above for a charged battery. My battery is reading 12.6v at 65 degrees F.
When the car is started it should read in the 13.6v-14.3v range. As it idles and recharges the battery, after the starting drain, the voltage will drop slowly but should never really go below13.5v

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts