Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Mazda 6 v6 the headlights won't work, it's just the lows and blinkers. Checked the fuses and relay and the bulbs. None of them are are burned out or popped. The person I bought the car from looked like he did some work to the radio area could this be related?

·
Rally Racer
2,951 Posts
Hello,
do you mean the high beam headlights don't work and the low (beam headlights) and blinkers do work?
Anything is possible.
If you are indeed talking about the low beams they are on separate fuses so it is pretty unlikely that each one is blown downstream and more likely the controller or switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is the low beams not working, I thought they were supposed to turn on when the car was on? If not then how would I check the switch?

·
Rally Racer
2,951 Posts
Yes it is the low beams not working, I thought they were supposed to turn on when the car was on? If not then how would I check the switch?
The low beams will work any time the switch on the stalk is turned to the headlight position, (2 clicks from off). There is an auto timer that will turn the lights off (~30 seconds) if the key is removed from the ignition and the light switch is ON for any position. This could be a source of problems.

If you have a non-USA car then it will have DRL (daytime running lights) that will turn on when running (and parking brake off I believe). In that case the high beams are illuminated at a percentage below normal (65w).

As @TalonTsi90 indicated moving the headlight/turn stalk forward (with the headlight low beams ON) will illuminate both the low beams and the high beams simultaneously, (both integrated fog lamps and lower mount fog lamps will go out if ON)

Fog lamps (integrated and factory lower) will only work with the headlight stalk in the ON position for low beams and the inner fog light ring switch on the headlight/turn stalk in the ON position.

Flash-to-Pass is always available and that is when you pull the headlight/turn stalk back (toward rear of car). This will illuminate both high and low beams at normal current.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The low beams will work any time the switch on the stalk is turned to the headlight position, (2 clicks from off). There is an auto timer that will turn the lights off (~30 seconds) if the key is removed from the ignition and the light switch is ON for any position. This could be a source of problems.

If you have a non-USA car then it will have DRL (daytime running lights) that will turn on when running (and parking brake off I believe). In that case the high beams are illuminated at a percentage below normal (65w).

As @TalonTsi90 indicated moving the headlight/turn stalk forward (with the headlight low beams ON) will illuminate both the low beams and the high beams simultaneously, (both integrated fog lamps and lower mount fog lamps will go out if ON)

Fog lamps (integrated and factory lower) will only work with the headlight stalk in the ON position for low beams and the inner fog light ring switch on the headlight/turn stalk in the ON position.

Flash-to-Pass is always available and that is when you pull the headlight/turn stalk back (toward rear of car). This will illuminate both high and low beams at normal current.

View attachment 238944
Ok, so I checked to make sure the stalk was turned on, which it is; but the low beams and the front indicators still don't work. The bulbs aren't burned out and the fuses are fine. I also replaced the relay but this didn't do anything. Also when I do turn my highs on there is a click coming from the fuse box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, the indicators in the front don't turn on at all not even for hazard, same with lows.

Yes.(highs work lows don't.)

I believe this is a wiring issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts