Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I have an 04 mazda 6 v6 3.0L and am wanting to make it run a little bit smoother and better acceleration. It really could probably use a tune up but I'm thinking about adding a cold air intake before getting a tune. I've never done any mods to a vehicle so I'm really just looking for opinions and any information I may not be thinking about before doing it. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
You cant get a tune for those. I ran the equivalent of an SRI in mine for years with no ill effect. I have it listed for sale for shipping and ill include the MAF too. Dont think it added much if any HP, but you can certainly hear the valve overlap which is the main point for that kind of setup.

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Automotive side-view mirror

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,851 Posts
Hey everyone I have an 04 mazda 6 v6 3.0L and am wanting to make it run a little bit smoother and better acceleration. It really could probably use a tune up but I'm thinking about adding a cold air intake before getting a tune. I've never done any mods to a vehicle so I'm really just looking for opinions and any information I may not be thinking about before doing it. Thanks!
First thing I would do is make sure your ignition system (coils and plugs) are in good shape. If you have over 80,000mi (and those have never been changed) I would replace them both first. Good PCV, air cleaner, etc are always the first place to start. If you have an automatic then make sure the fluid is healthy.

My v6 ran smoother by pulling out the CMP and CKP sensors and wiping off the accumulated metal shavings. I also cleaned the MAF/IAT and the throttle body (off the car) in addition to replacing worn motor mounts. All those things combined made it feel new.

There is very little you can do from a bolt on perspective for the v6. You can put a cold air intake (CAI) on but in my experience it does not really do that much unless you spend a lot of time above 4000RPM.
I have an INJEN SP6072BLK (automatic) that has worked code free for a while now. It draws cold air from outside the hot motor compartment but is still subject to heat soak when moving slow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts