Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's thoughts on the upcoming 2004 Chevy Malibu...looks to be a strong contender in the sedan market...my question, what does everyone think about the styling and features compared to that of the 6 and the rest of the market?...it will probably be competitive in pricing....one downside with the malibu seems to be that their 2.2-liter Ecotec four-cylinder will be only 140 horsepower..though, they have a 3.5-liter V6 200 horse as well..what are your opinions? Right now im leaning towards the 6 still.. :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: 2004 Malibu vs Mazda6

Well, we haven't driven this Malibu, as it's "upcoming", but based on GM, I can take a guess.

The car will have a bland interior with mediocre (at best) fit and finish. The car will be heavy and feel heavy. It will be squishy. A car for an old man.

That's my guess.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Let me put it that way...if my grandfather would still be alive, he'd certainly buy the malibu. I wouldn't. I wouldn't even take it into consideration.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Never say never but thus far, GM's attempts at a sports sedan have failed miserably here in the U.S.. The Pontiac Grand Prix comes close, except for the styling of course. The new Saturns suck, the Catera failed, the CTS is rather bizarre....need I go on? Who knows, maybe they'll get it right with the new Malibu but I wouldn't hold my breath. From what I've seen, it looks like another bland, generic GM sedan.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Impossible to say - the new Malibu doesn't exist.

Even though they're claiming the car will have great handling characteristics and won't be dumbed down for the US market I'm skeptical.

The Malibu has never been about real driving. Nor has it's 'sportier' sibling the Impala. Unless Chevy is making a wholesale change in the target market of the Malibu, and in the way they build cars, I'd expect something just this side of plain vanilla.

·
Registered
315 Posts

If you can find a pict look at GM's new Chevrolet SS concept. It's a 4 door but looks like a coupe.
Gorgeous car, absolutely stunning work in term of design. If it were available right now at about $30k, I would seriously consider it over the 6. However, it may be a couple more years till we see it, if not longer. This is a car GM NEEDS to build.

Meanwhile, the GTO is set to go this summer. RWD and a V8. Reviews have been very good.
This car comes via the Australian division of GM.

The current issue of Motor Trend has the SS on the cover.

Tome

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Googled it and it looks like quite a nice car, though it has some strange design solutions.

Ok. But..

Uglu mofu:)

This drawing is sweet though!

·
Registered
315 Posts

The Malibu or the SS?

The Malibu is boring as artificial vanila but the SS is one sweet piece.

Tome

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

There's supposed to be a "Malibu Maxx" as well, which will be a hatchback version. Looks like everyone's jumping on the hatchback bandwagon. Mazda, you'd better hurry up or people will think you're ripping off the Malibu!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Replying to Topic '2004 Malibu vs Mazda6'

Is the new Malibu going to be based on the Opel Vectra ??

Not in looks, but maybe the chasis and suspension systems etc........

·
Registered
205 Posts

Yes, the '04 Malibu uses the same platform as the Opel Vectra. This is GM's new global platform and is named the Epsilon. Other cars using it include the Saab 9-3, and the next Pontiac Grand Am.

·
Registered
178 Posts

All I have to say is it is a GM. I must say GM Had its time in the late 50s to early 70s but they do not do any thing for me anymore.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Yuck! That is a ghastly looking car. Nothing seems to fit or blend together just right. It looks like about 2 or 3 styles mixed together. Must be designed by the same imbiciles who drew up that new Vectra.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Originally posted by Blackbird

Googled it and it looks like quite a nice car, though it has some strange design solutions.

This drawing is sweet though!
[/b]
The drawing looks good but as you can tell by the real pictures, the drawing NEVER looks how the car will actually turn out :)

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic '2004 Malibu vs Mazda6'

Plus 20" rims nearly make every car look good.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic '2004 Malibu vs Mazda6'

That doesn't do anything for me. In fact, if I had to take a side, I would have to say I don't like it. The styling isn't bold or innovative, it's typical plain and boring GM.

·
Registered
315 Posts

It'll outsell the Mazda 6.
A lot of people like plain in this country and GM sells A LOT of cars to them.

Tome

1 - 20 of 31 Posts