Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, I think it’s time for me to let go of my Mazda since I just got two cars for free (boring slow and automatic, but free none the less).

This car has had an interesting life so far, and ideally it will be passed on to a person willing to put a little work to get her back up to 100%

This was my first new car and I babied the hell out of it, taking great care in maintenance both mechanically and cosmetically. The car has never been garaged, and had to be parked on the street for a good portion of it’s life, therefore, the front bumper has been repainted twice and it needs it again. The rear bumper has been repainted once and it needs it again. There is a dent in the rocker under the side skirts from when I accidentally slid off the road in VT. The door that was damaged in the same accident was re-skinned, and the quarter panel was body-worked and the whole repair painted. You’d be hard pressed to tell that there’s been a repair without looking behind the trunk liner inside the trunk. Unfortunately there is a small area of rust poking through on the bottom corner of the door.

At 7XXXX miles the front pre-cat shat itself and took out my engine. I dropped the engine and replaced the short block with a salvaged one from a mercury sable with 32,xxx miles on it. This was when most of the modifications took place (engine mounts, clutch, flywheel etc (all outlined below)

I ran a set of ebay headers for a few months, but they’re junk so I ended up just grabbing a salvage front exhaust manifold with good pre-cats in it and putting that on.

The car has no check engine light and runs perfect, but I got a nice surprise when I went in for CT emissions testing. It didn’t pass, not because it was emitting, but because the CT computers can’t talk with my car. There is a communication error. I have yet to get under the dash and test the wires for continuity, but that is honestly the only thing I can think of doing. I’m hoping I can sort this out, but no guarantees.

The oil pressure gauge sender drips a tiny bit of oil, and the coolant overflow reservoir nipple broke and has been crudely repaired. I’m also starting to get the popping in the front control arms that many have experienced. These aren’t major issues, and as I mentioned the car runs and handles great.

All of this has been taken into account with my price.

KBB fair value is $5,850 I think this is a fair price given all of the extra things that come with this car.

If you are interested in the car at all, let’s talk.

Lapis Blue 2004 Mazda 6 S
- Original owner, purchased in June of 2004
- No options
- Beige cloth interior (with brown dash/upper door panels)
- 5 Speed Manual Transmission
- Traction Control
- Automatic Climate Control
- Includes factory service manual

- Interior
[FONT=&quot]o Autovation Racing Pedals[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Monster Knobs shift knob with custom aluminum spacer (have stock knob)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Black aluminum e-brake handle and Custom carbon fiber vinyl ebrake handle boot (have stock parts)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Custom carbon fiber vinyl shift boot (have stock boot)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Mazdaspeed short shifter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Kick panel speaker mounts for 4” midrange[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Reinforced/modified inner door panels for 6.75” speakers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Two sets of wire (one 14awg, one 16awg) run through molex into each door[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Stock Black all weather (winter) mats[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Aeroforce Interceptor OBDII Gauge, Glowshift Electronic Oil Pressure and Volt gauges in Glowshift pillar pod (this car does not have side airbags)[/FONT]
- Exterior
[FONT=&quot]o ATH front lip and side skirts (installed on the car, front lip is thick urethane, side skirts are FRP)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o ATH rear lip (FRP needs to be extended and painted in order to be installed)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Front and rear mudflaps[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Front side marker tinted overlays[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Stock lower fog lights with switch on the stalk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Apexcone 35 watt 6000k low beams[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Badgeless grille (stock grille included)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Removed mesh from lower grille[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Euro tail lights (no bulge) with translucent red overlay[/FONT]
- Engine/driveline
[FONT=&quot]o Replaced short block at 72,xxx miles with used short block with 32,xxx miles on it[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o New oil pump[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o New gaskets[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o New Plugs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Weapon X ignition coils at 60,XXX miles[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o AWR engine mounts, left and right[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o CPE dog-bone mount[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Fidanzia 9lb aluminum flywheel[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Exedy Stock replacement clutch[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o New throw out bearing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Custom 2.5” mandrel bent single exhaust with Magnaflow resonator and muffler (stock catback is installed now)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Wired for CPE Maf customizer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Redline synthetic transmission fluid[/FONT]
- Suspension/tires/brakes
[FONT=&quot]o Mazdaspeed springs and shocks (have the stock set to go with car)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o OE 16x7” wheels with stock Michelin tires (lots of tread left)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Mazda RX-8 16x7.5” wheels with Hankook RS-2 summer tires (ok for auto-crossing, but not great for daily driving)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Racing Beat rear sway bar and endlinks[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o Front and rear brakes completely re-done with engine swap. Hawk HPS pads, Napa Premium Rotors, black painted calipers and brackets(front only), new caliper hardware[/FONT]
The car will come with the stock stereo installed, aftermarket speakers in the front and stock speakers in the rear. Currently there is 1/0 power wire run throughout and some pretty extensive stereo mods. I’ll be pulling all of those. If you’re interested in an upgraded stereo, we can talk…

I’ll finish by saying this car is fun to drive. The way it is set up now if you are pushing it to the limits you will get throttle lift oversteer. When I autocrossed this car I would run the rears at 35psi and the fronts at 45psi to keep the car pretty neutral. The light-weight flywheel and short shifter make it a blast to row through the gears and the aluminum pedals make heel-toe downshifting much easier.

If I don’t get any action over the next few weeks on the car the way it is, I’ll start parting it out to get it back to stock-ish and sell it to Carmax. Thanks for your time guys!

If you are interested, please contact me at daveavino at gmail dot com

I realize the car is filthy in these pictures, I'll do my best to clean it up and get more pictures for those interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess no one is interested...gonna have to start parting it.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
another OG heading out....best of luck Dave

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tea, that's the way things go isn't it? If it were up to me I'd never get rid of this car, but it just doesn't make sense to keep it. Really makes me sad. I love this car.

As far as the shifter and shocks/springs: The shifter will require that you send your stock unit to me so that the car is still functional. I can ship first, but I will need the core. It really makes it easier for everyone. I'm not sure what the shifter goes for these days, but I'd be willing to part with it for $110

I'm not interested in removing the springs/shocks, it wouldn't be worth my time as it takes a pretty good amount of labor to do. Plus, if I were you I wouldn't want springs/shocks with 70k+ on them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tea, that's the way things go isn't it? If it were up to me I'd never get rid of this car, but it just doesn't make sense to keep it. Really makes me sad. I love this car.

As far as the shifter and shocks/springs: The shifter will require that you send your stock unit to me so that the car is still functional. I can ship first, but I will need the core. It really makes it easier for everyone. I'm not sure what the shifter goes for these days, but I'd be willing to part with it for $110

I'm not interested in removing the springs/shocks, it wouldn't be worth my time as it takes a pretty good amount of labor to do. Plus, if I were you I wouldn't want springs/shocks with 70k+ on them.
Hmm, I can get a new one for $155, so I'll probably just go that route, saving everyone some trouble. Thanks though.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm flexible, if you think my price is unreasonable, let me know what you'd consider reasonable. I was also saying 110 shipped to you. In case you don't know, the Mazdaspeed and TWM shifters require you to cut your stock shifter in order to install them. I'd be sending you the aftermarket shifter with the already modified stock parts. All you'd have to do is pull out your old one, slap this one in and then send me your stock part. I guarantee that my shifter is in mint condition, I can get pictures of it if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sold it to carmax for 3500. Just glad to have it out of my hair at this point. The emissions thing would have been a major hassle, so it was worth just offloading it.

I still have lots of parts
AWR engine mounts
RX-8 16's
single 2.5 exhaust
gauges and pod
metra kit
molded metra kit with stock flashers
CF shift boot, monster knob, custom spacer, CF ebrake boot and ebrake knob

I'll try to get threads posted for that stuff asap, just a pain in the neck to pull it out and get pix. If anyone is interested now feel free to PM me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts