Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 2004 6 3.0 with 134k miles on it. Sometimes during cold start it makes an odd rattling noise for a second, and also a noise at 1-2k revs sometimes when warm. The car is throwing the p0345 (cam position sensor circuit ) and p0012 (intake cam bank 1 over - retarded). The car runs great, never had a vehicle pull so hard when accelerating, never had it fail to start and it always idles smooth. I can confirm at the moment there is an exhaust leak, and I am repairing that shortly but I don't think these noises are related. I have seen threads with similar symptoms saying that it is the vvt actuator but they are all on the 2.3l, and I was wondering if the same applies to the 3l and how expensive it is to replace if it is bad.

·
Rally Racer
3,360 Posts
The VVT actuator can have the same effect with the v6 except only 1 bank will suffer generally. The valve is not difficult to replace but the seal around it is a bit more challenging to source. I have some part numbers on my profile page that may be helpful for you in finding them. There are also several threads on this site that deal with the seals if you would rather go that route.
Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts