1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daniel Heraud test drives a 2003 Viper.

Some points of note:

"the soft top is rather ordinary and is not even electrically driven. "
It's called weight savings! And that's a good thing. I guess because the Viper is already such a cow, we might as well throw in a power convertible top!

"This does not seem to provide adequate occupant protection given the car's performance capabilities. "
I'm not sure how to take this...
Does that mean the car is so fast that you're almost certain to get into a severe accident?
Does that mean the car performs so poorly that you won't be able to avoid a severe accident?
Is that saying "It's okay to drive this ultra-high performance machine to dangerous limits, to limits where you'll surely get into an accident?"
Is that saying "People are going to drive this ultra-high performance machine at dangerous levels on public roads?"

"Furthermore, the heat produced by the exhaust system prevents you from bracing yourself on the door sills"
Interesting...

"Also, pants are a must"
You know, I was going to buy a Viper, but I frequently like to drive around naked. Guess the Viper's out.

"However, the parking brake gets in the way when in use. "
I hate it when the parking brake gets in my way when in use while I'm trying to drive.

"It produces lateral acceleration that exceeds the magical 1.0 g mark. "
Sweeeeeeeet!

"Seats: Their ergonomic form and consistent padding provide perfect lumbar and lateral support but the lack of adjustments makes it impossible to find a comfortable position. 75%"
So, we give 75%'s to seats that are uncomfortable?

"Noise: The engine's rumble is worthy of a Sunday drag race and gives you the constant impression that you're not alone on board. Add to this road noise generated by the tires and wind noise that infiltrates the cabin from all sides. 10%"
10%?? It's a muscle/GT/performace car, for cryin' out loud! That's part of the car's soul! Would anyone buy a car like this without an engine that growls like a tiger?

"Climate Control: The simple system nevertheless gets the job done. Thank goodness, because the engine and exhaust system give off so much heat that you'll need to operate the air conditioning even during the fall and spring to avoid being cooked alive. "
I just found this amusing.

"Satisfaction: Information in this respect is scarce, whether from the manufacturer or owners. "
Maybe they're all dead due to lack of adequate occupant protection!

Viper : 8.3-liter, 6-speed manual
Engine: 8.3-liter V10
Horsepower: 500 @ 5600
Torque: 525 @ 4200

Acceleration: 0-60 mph in 4.0 sec. 1/4-mile in 12.6 sec.

Top Speed: 165 mph

Braking: 60-0 mph in 126 ft.

Road Holding: 1.15 g.

Fuel Economy: 11 (City) / 23 (Highway)

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Lol.. I hope this guy doesn't work for any car magazines. What a hideous review of a beautiful car. This guy obviously wouldn't know a sports car from a Kia if it hit him on the head.

Man this guys rips on the car for trunk space.. sheesh...

"Trunk Volume: Far from being considered enormous, there is enough room to store a golf bag or two small Louis Vuitton bags. On the minus side, the trunk is not upholstered and gets quite hot with the engine running. "

last time I checked this wouldn't be the car I would be taking to the airport and stoage luggage in. It would be perfect for taking to the golf course to store your clubs etc.

"Lack of practical storage in the cabin"

Hmm.. Well considering that sports cars are supposed to be small and nimble.. This should go without saying. When was the last time you heard about the corvette having the most ample cabin and trunck space. Never.

EDIT: It's worse than I thought. He's a reviewer for MSN Autos.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Replying to Topic '2003 Viper'

Still though, if I had that much money I would not spend it on a Viper (as amazing as that car is). My money is going towards a Porsche 911 GT2.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Reading Topic: 2003 Viper

What a dumba$$! That guy is completely clueless about what a car like the Viper is supposed to do and be.

As for the Viper, it's awesome but my heart belongs to Aston Martin, although a Ferrari 360 Modena or Jag XKR Silverstone would do quite nicely also :D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Topic '2003 Viper'

Originally posted by chindo

Still though, if I had that much money I would not spend it on a Viper (as amazing as that car is).  My money is going towards a Porsche 911 GT2.[/b]
Agreed - the Viper isn't on my list, either.

·
Registered
980 Posts

The Viper is not a great car all around IMO....the selling point of the viper has always been it's "machoness". It's about it's aggressive styling and monster power. However, overall I have heard that it's not great (wouldnt know personally though as I've never driven one before.)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

From what I've heard the "older" Vipers were monsters - one split lack of attention and you're off the road in a ditch. The new one is supposed to take care of that.

But the Viper is about raw power, and it does that well. It's just not what I'm about.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Neither am I. I dont understand those people who love drag racing (1/4 mile) so much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts