Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats right, the 6 was named an Automobile 2003 All Star. They had nothing but great things to say. And of all the cars in the competition, the Mazda6 was the ONLY car to receive the vote of every single one of us.

It is not yet on the website, but a great win for Mazda and the 6. A 10Best and now an Automobile All Star. Of all awards, I respect most the Automobile rankings, always have felt they were the most unbiased and I really like the way they break it into categories, rather than just 10Best from ALL cars.

Edit: Okay I'll type the whole thing out so you can read it.....
With the Mazda6, you get pretty much the same deal as a big-time sport sedan from one of those fancy places in Germany. On the road, the Mazda6 practically sings with liveliness. It turns briskly into corners with a kind of athletic purpose, evidence of the development put into the control-arm fron suspensiona dn uniquely packaged multi-link rear setup. You can even throw the Mazda6 into corners like a rally car if you like, because it doesn't lose its poise when the tires are working hard. There's a terrific spread of power across the rev range from the 220hp, 3.0Liter V-6, thanks to Mazda-engineered variable valve timing. Just as important, Mazda has transformed the sound and feel of this engine so you'd never suspect its origins line in the pedestrian Ford Duratec V6. The 160hp, 2.3Liter in-line four, with its counterrotating balance shafts is equally great: smooth when you're cruising and crisp when you're not. The Mazda6 is a sport sedan, and its high content of engineering and luxury features shows you that it takes this mission seriously. At the same time, it has a simplicity that makes it affordable. WE particularly like it because it ends the stranglehold that family values have had on cars in this segment.

From the editors note at the beginning of the magazine.....
"So I see my job here as letting you know about the also-rans but still-wonderfuls that made our hearts beat fast. But First, a deep round of applause for the magnificent Mazda6, the only All Star to receive the vote of every single one of us. Mazda has found its stride with the 6, injecting a welcome dose of heat an dlight into a category known for quality, refinement, resale value, value for dollar-every fine family sedan value but heat and light. Mazda's hotshot was, if you will, the MVP of this year's team."

Later "Not that the Focus was a shoo-in. The rowdy Mini Cooper S lost by one tiny little Mazdaspeed Protege Vote, which I swear would have made a stronger showing if it hadn't thrown some three-dollar part that put it out of comission on the 2nd day of our 3 day test. We're anxiously awaiting a long Ann Arbor visit form that metallic orange Japanese scream-sicle."

On a sad note, the Mazda Miata fell from the list. I believe they revamped the sports car categories of below and above 30K into one sports car category, and the Boxster won. This is the first time since the All Star awards started 13 years ago that the Miata has not made it. Up to this point, the Miata was the ONLY 12 time automobile all star. Sad to see it go :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
Reading Topic: 2003 Automobile All Star

Too bad on the Miata, but Bravo! to the 6!!!

I am now 750 miles into mine and cannot be more pleased with it. It not only surpasses the hype, it does it with grace and style AND power. I love it!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Niiiiice...

So sad to see the elimination of the Miata...I guess one Mazda is their quota.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yeah. I think they are saving up a round of applause for the RX-8 also... they can't rant too much about the Miata now as they are awaiting the new miracle sports car from Mazda... I guess...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

And it had been Allstar for 12 times so I't might have fullfilled it's task of being a nice little zoomer :D

·
Registered
231 Posts

I think it is kinda stupid to eliminate the budget sports car category and lump the MX5 in with Porsches and stuff... not fair to that whole category of the under 30000 US$ sports machine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts