Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003-05 grill removal

I need to replace my grill on a 2003 m6s. Do I need to remove the front bumper?
I've tried removing the two screws on top of the grille but there is a nut holding it and it just spins.

thanks,

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, the bumper can stay on. Besides, the screws on top, there are 4 plastic clips along the bottom in between the grill and bumper that you need to release. Should come right off after that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i cannot get the 2 screws on top of grille off because it seems like there's a nut locking it screw. so, the screw just turns when i tried to unscrew it.

i've tried using a pylier, wrench to hold nut but there isn't just enough gap to get a good grip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the two screws you are refering to that look like they have a washer around them are not screws at all. if you look all over your car they are in the trunk area and underneath the car. they are actually a pop rivet. take a flathead screwdriver and place it in the space between the screw head and the washer and push the screw up. Should pop right out.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i cannot get the 2 screws on top of grille off because it seems like there's a nut locking it screw. so, the screw just turns when i tried to unscrew it.

i've tried using a pylier, wrench to hold nut but there isn't just enough gap to get a good grip.
I know exactly what you are talking about. It's like there is a clip with a nut attached to it but the nut broke off of the clip and just spins freely when you try to unscrew it.

The one on my driver's side is doing the same thing. I haven't figured out how to break it free. I sprayed it down with some pb blaster and found that a 10mm socket fits it. Maybe I'll have another go at it tonight.

Let me know if you figure anything out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know exactly what you are talking about. It's like there is a clip with a nut attached to it but the nut broke off of the clip and just spins freely when you try to unscrew it.

The one on my driver's side is doing the same thing. I haven't figured out how to break it free. I sprayed it down with some pb blaster and found that a 10mm socket fits it. Maybe I'll have another go at it tonight.

Let me know if you figure anything out.
hey, i'm just checking to see if you figured out yet to unscrew that screw on top of grille.
thanks

C

·
0 Posts
4 years later...did either of you guys manage to get those screws loose? I'm at a loss. And not quite sure how I'd get the nuts back on if I did get it loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts