Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planned to do an oil change and the first drain and fill of the tranny fluid, but got stopped by the tranny drain plug.
So #1, what size is that stinkin Allen head so I can remove the ATX fluid? (Corollary: where to fill it?)
#2, the 820S filter is HUGE. I put it on by hand, but in 5K miles, I'd have to be the Hulk to pull it off that way. What size wrench will I need to remove it?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I cannot help with the trans plug but for the oil filter, I use a plier type oil filter wrench and I have yet to come across a filter that it can't handle.

prod_1625542412.jpeg

These things rock!! I still have the old band type wrenches but these are my go to. Even if at a slight angel, you can spin the filter vs having to be square with the band type.

·
Rally Racer
1,881 Posts
Planned to do an oil change and the first drain and fill of the tranny fluid, but got stopped by the tranny drain plug.
So #1, what size is that stinkin Allen head so I can remove the ATX fluid? (Corollary: where to fill it?)
#2, the 820S filter is HUGE. I put it on by hand, but in 5K miles, I'd have to be the Hulk to pull it off that way. What size wrench will I need to remove it?
The drain plug on the bottom of the 5-speed ATX (JA5A-EL) is a 24mm 6pt. To fill the ATX you use the fluid check dipstick. Measure what comes out during drain (I used a dollar store pitcher and marked the side with marker) and replace the same amount through the dipstick hole.

If you are changing the fluid on the 5-speed MTX (A65M-R ) the drain plug is an H10 (10mm Allen). Use a gear oil pump and tube to fill the trans-axle (through the fill plug) until it is at the same level as the bottom of the opening.

Note: if you do this with the front of the vehicle in the air the trans will be filled a tiny bit overfull since the fluid will move to the back of the trans-axle case. I have never had this as a problem in other cars but I thought I would note it.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just noticed I don't have a signature. Sorry. 05 wagon, so its the 6 speed ATX. What size Allen?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts