Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if we can put 2 fog light in the sport model and operate them at the same time? That is one is at the front aero bumper and the other one is at the headlight.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic '2 fog lights for sport model'

Ofcourse you can. Whether it's legal or not is another thing...:D

·
Registered
510 Posts

Hi Jes,

I own a Luxury Hatch that has the Fog Lights built into the Head-light unit ....

The switch is located on the actual head-light switch as well, so in theory as Steve said, you could put the Second set of Fog lights on the Aero Bumper is you chose, but I believe you would have to have another switch, located on the Lower panel near the steering wheel......

BUT, I also don't think it would be legal in Australia, mainly for the fact that oncoming traffic would be very angry at you for you flashing Two sets of foglights at them !!!!!!!!!!!

It's bad enough with one pair, believe me !

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Rod, why not simply tie the second pair of foglights with a split connector to the same wires that goes to the ones in the headlights? Then they are switched on and off at the same time using the same switch.

But it*s probably illegal anyway

·
Registered
510 Posts

That could be done as well..................illegally !!!!!:hoho :hoho

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

One could also addan extra switch to turn the second pair of foglights on and off.

Illegal On/Illegal Off so to speak...:D

·
Registered
510 Posts

:p
I better not say anything else...........

I can hear the Siren's coming now, better go and hide !!! :D :D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Reading Topic: 2 fog lights for sport model

In America its not a problem the only illegal thing about lights here is having offroad fog lamps above the roofline of the vehicle powered on while driving. Anything below the windshield goes, as long as they are white or yellow (not blue, or red symbolizing police). It it possible here to order the dealer installed fog lamps that fit exactly into the openings in the front of the car, along with a surrounding inset that completely fills the space and matches the paint, however the option is $200+ USD. I am planning on getting some anyway, because I think it would really improve the appearance of the car.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Thanks for the information diesel, I was wondering if it was legal too. I'm in Canada and I did a research and found out the exact same thing as you said.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

You did your research the easy way....:) I found out the hard way, I got pulled over awhile back for having my rollbar lamps on on my truck while driving on the road. So far it's been pretty much the same from state to state...(not the getting pulled over part :))

·
Registered
76 Posts

ok...pardon my ignorance...in the NA 6's...fully loaded (premium + sports pkg, etc.)...the fog lights are integrated w/ the headlights or are they in the front bumper...me confused

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

They are integrated with the headlights on the sports package. If you dont gete the sports package, and want the fog lamps, the dealer can add them on once they receive the car, but it will be in the lower part below the headlights.

Also, in NA, to use the fog lights you have to have your headlights on as well... You cannot drive with just parking lights on w/ fog lamps or without any headlights on and fog lamps. God I hate stupid NA car laws...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I wondered why if they were fog lamps, I couldn't turn them on unless the headlights were on...thought it was Mazda's doing. That is pretty stupid in my opinion, who came up with that law?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

In Sweden it's illegal to use the fog light with low beam. Research has shown that visability is reduced by a few percent and night vision as well. Thus increasing accidents.

That's the reason for this law (no matter how ridiculous it may seem at first...)

·
Registered
76 Posts

ok..thanks for informing me :D I guess I'll have to get an extra set installed in the front bumper so - like diesel said - the appearance of the car improves...not that it needs it heh :hoho

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by Absolut
            They are integrated with the headlights on the sports package.  If you dont gete the sports package, and want the fog lamps, the dealer can add them on once they receive the car, but it will be in the lower part below the headlights.

Also, in NA, to use the fog lights you have to have your headlights on as well... You cannot drive with just parking lights on w/ fog lamps or without any headlights on and fog lamps.  God I hate stupid NA car laws...[/b]
You wouldn't happen to know if the dealer could install them even if you have the Sports Package? I can't see why it would be a problem, unless they are violating any laws.

BTW, the only cars I have encountered that haven't wired the car so that they only come on with the headlights, were brand new Dodge Durango' and Dodge trucks.

But if they are anything like most cars, there is probably one lead going into the headlight switch (do you just pull the switch out to activate the fog lights?) that activates the fog lights. If someone IDs which wire it is, you can reroute that wire to have the fog lights behave however you'd like. For example, splice it into the parking lights lead to have the fogs automatically come on with the parking lights.

If someone has the tool that you can put over a wire to measure current (whats that called?) we could systematically ID all the leads coming into the headlight switch.

·
Registered
391 Posts

diesel5599

You did your research the easy way.... I found out the hard way, I got pulled over awhile back for having my rollbar lamps on on my truck while driving on the road. So far it's been pretty much the same from state to state...(not the getting pulled over part )  [/b]
I have a police station on the street next to mine. I simply asked... :)

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic '2 fog lights for sport model'

I don't see there being a problem with getting the dealer to add an extra set of fog lights below even if you already have them integrated. I don't think its breaking any laws.

The fog light switch is right next to the headlight one. It works just like the headlights do.

I think the way the wiring works is that the fog lights are wired into the headlight switch or lead wire. When that wire is turned on or power is forced through it, the fog lights will also light if the switch is on. I'm sure you can change that with no problem if you want... The tool you're looking for is a voltmeter to measure when power is flowing through the wire or not.

Just remember, if a cop wants to be a dick about it, you can get a ticket for driving with fog lights on but no headlights.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

My dealer said it would be no problem installing additional fog lamps, of course he would say that, would you pass on $200? At the dealer the only way they will install them is to integrate them with the parking lights, but it's like Green said, it's very easy to reroute the wire. Voltmeters are relatively more expensive than continuity testers, which is all I usually use when dealing with automotive electronics.
I've pretty much gotten used to having fog lamps only on when the parking lights are on, so I'll probably leave them that way.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Actually the tool I was thinking about isn't a voltmeter. I already have two voltmeters, but you have to actually make contact with the wire the measure the current. I saw this tool on Horsepower TV where all you have to do is pass the wire between two poles (think of the field goal uprights on an american football field) and the tool measures the current, electro-magnetic forces or something. Actually is this what a continuity tester is?

The fact that there is a separate switch for the lights will make the "fog light mod", as it will be known, even easier to accomplish!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts