Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says: post up your fuel economy numbers!

I'm getting a solid 22 MPG in city driving, and as much as 32 MPG on the highway if I keep my speed below 75 and never leave the right lane.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My average is around 7.5-7.6 L/100kms, which is right where the Hwy mileage is supposed to be. I don't do a lot of city driving, mostly highway or rural.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I drive 500 miles a week, a combination of backroads and highway. Very little city driving. Trip A gets reset every fill up and consistently averages about 30.5mpg. Trip B has never been reset since new and is at 29.9mpg (5700 miles on the odometer)

·
Registered
89 Posts
So far with all city mileage I'm getting 22.8 MPG on regular fuel, and it's been really hot here so the A/C has been running continuously!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do we know how trustworthy the car is at calculating fuel mileage? I know other cars are famously inconsistent re: how accurate they are, but I don't know about the Mazda6.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1600 miles

28 combined.
I sit in slow moving West Side Highway traffic in NYC everyday.
My last car was a Jeep and not even close with the gas mileage computer, so I would use pen and paper at the pump.
This car's computer has been really close.
I'm getting almost 10 more miles a gallon so I am going to stop with the pen and paper.
Close enough for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do we know how trustworthy the car is at calculating fuel mileage? I know other cars are famously inconsistent re: how accurate they are, but I don't know about the Mazda6.
Mazda fuel calculators seem to be very accurate. I always calculate mileage every fill up, and both my 18' Mazda 6 and 18' CX-9 are always within .2 or .3 MPG of actual. Sometimes they are exact. Now Honda's on the other hand... All of my Honda and Acura vehicles would be anywhere from 1-2 MPG off, and usual to the worse (they were always optimistic, or just trying to make you feel better).

I have about 1,700 miles on my 6 now, and do a mostly in city driving. The average has been right around 23 MPG. One all highway drive I got 34.8 MPG driving 70 MPH pretty much the whole time. These numbers are very close to my 16' Mazda 6 without the turbo, so I'm pretty impressed! Of course, if you are having fun on the back roads, MPG does dive quite a bit.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mazda fuel calculators seem to be very accurate. I always calculate mileage every fill up, and both my 18' Mazda 6 and 18' CX-9 are always within .2 or .3 MPG of actual. Sometimes they are exact. Now Honda's on the other hand... All of my Honda and Acura vehicles would be anywhere from 1-2 MPG off, and usual to the worse (they were always optimistic, or just trying to make you feel better).

I have about 1,700 miles on my 6 now, and do a mostly in city driving. The average has been right around 23 MPG. One all highway drive I got 34.8 MPG driving 70 MPH pretty much the whole time. These numbers are very close to my 16' Mazda 6 without the turbo, so I'm pretty impressed! Of course, if you are having fun on the back roads, MPG does dive quite a bit.

So almost no penalty in MPG with more power over the ‘16? Sounds like a win to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Mostly rural driving here. Speed limits 45-55. Long stretches mixed with sharp bends so quite a bit of slowing down and accelerating. Lead foot enjoying the turbo coming out of those bends. A/C running constantly. Temps in the 90s+ Exxon 93 exclusively. My average has crept up from 26 mpg to 28.9 mpg. I’ve found the trip computer to be pretty accurate as well always within a couple tenths of my calculated numbers.

I’m going to switch to Shell the next tank and stay with that for awhile and see if perfromance and feel mileage changes.

·
Banned
703 Posts
The best way to calculate your fuel economy is to fill up a full tank, reset the trip counter, drive until tank is empty and then note how much fuel was needed to fill the tank up to full again. Take the mileage driven and the amount of fuel filled up, head over to google and find a fuel economy calculator and punch the numbers in. Simple and accurate.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Divide miles driven by gallons used. Boom. Simple math.

I'll add that keeping a record of this also helps track performance of the car. The car's computers have gotten better, but a ton of data figured with good, old fashioned math is a great resource.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use fuelly to record my fillups and my average mpg so far, is at 22.3 over the last 7 fills. Mostly city driving here in Irvine with 45-55mph speed limits and lots of stop and go from all the signals I hit and a/c always running.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use fuelly to record my fillups and my average mpg so far, is at 22.3 over the last 7 fills. Mostly city driving here in Irvine with 45-55mph speed limits and lots of stop and go from all the signals I hit and a/c always running.
I concur, I drive almost the same type of route and speed. If my car is on, so is the A/C. Getting 22.5 mpg also.
Look forward to an all highway trip in cooler temps with a/c off, to see why type of mpg can be obtained.

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just for kicks, I ran my fuel tank below zero-mile range (maybe drove an extra 5 miles or so), and filled up with 90-octane, zero-ethanol gasoline.

I've been averaging 26 MPG on 93-octane up until now, it'll be interesting if/how much that goes up (or down)...

·
Banned
703 Posts
Just for kicks, I ran my fuel tank below zero-mile range (maybe drove an extra 5 miles or so), and filled up with 90-octane, zero-ethanol gasoline.

I've been averaging 26 MPG on 93-octane up until now, it'll be interesting if/how much that goes up (or down)...
It would be very interesting to note what sort of fuel economy you get with etanol-free fuel. In my experience. fuel economy improved considerably and was much more consistent with aggressive driving.

You got about 5L of fuel left when the gauge reads completely empty, BTW.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My signature on fuelly hand calculated*

Due to my current consulting job, I've burned ONE tank of fuel since January 31- August 18!

·
Registered
194 Posts
My signature on fuelly hand calculated*

Due to my current consulting job, I've burned ONE tank of fuel since January 31- August 18!
Psst, this thread is for the MPG for just the 18 2.5 Turbo motors not the 17 and older n/a models. :wink2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've hand calculated 29.7 in the time I've owned the car (May until now), but I do a lot of highway driving for work. I'm usually around 75/25 highway vs. city. My leadfoot tendencies around the city will drop that figure on the weekends. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Best I've gotten was a hair over 34 MPG two weeks ago driving to/from northern Wisconsin. 3 adults and two kids in the car, trunk full of luggage and A/C on the whole way. 87 octane gas. That was all highway miles. Probably 80% of that was around 70-75 MPH. I usually get around 25-26 MPG on my normal usage, commuting to work, which is around 80/20 city/hwy. I'm at around 5700 miles on the clock. Usually run 87 octane on 75-80% of my tanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts