Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I somewhat new here but I have a question.

Does it matter if you use synthetic or natural oil? Does using synthetic void the warranty?

Also anyone know of any good deals on the cartridge tool & cartridges?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Using a synthetic oil made by a reputable company won't void anything, and it can be better for your engine depending on your circumstances.

For warranty purposes, I'd highly recommend using Mazda filters. If you buy an aftermarket filter and it collapses, or otherwise blocks oil flow, and you suffer an engine problem, Mazda won't warranty your repair.

You can buy a cap-style filter wrench at any automotive store. Just be sure it's the correct size & flute number. I believe that information is stickied somewhere in a DIY section in this forum.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
do you know how much mazda charges to change the oil and the filter?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think its close to $30 here, not too sure though I got free oil changes for 50,000 miles...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello All,

I am curious about the oil change time my owners manual says 7500 miles but Mazda e-mailed me to say i neeed to change it at 5000 miles. Also i thought that the first oil should be break in oil which needed to be changed earlioer does anyone know this info? I am at 3000 miles
>Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mazda recommends the oil be changed at 7500 mile intervals for "normal" driving conditions and at 5000 miles for "severe" conditions. If you live in almost any large city and do a lot of stop and go driving and/or short trip driving and if you live in a cold area during the winter you would be wise to follow the severe schedule. There is no need any more to drain the "break in" oil at an earlier interval. Manufacturers haven't used true break in oil for many years now. They just recommend moderate driving for the first 500 miles and change it at the normal interval for your driving conditions. I hope that this answers your questions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here are some GREAT CHEAP OILS
-Motorcraft Semi-syn 5-20 would be my choice
-Penzoil Yellow Bottle
-Napa oils are Valvoline

Off the shelf Syn
-Mobil1
-Penzoil Plat
-Napa Syn are Valvoline and can be found for around $3qt.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You don't have to use a Mazda filter but I would stick with a better brand name like Wix. Not Fram.

Here are some GREAT CHEAP OILS
-Motorcraft Semi-syn 5-20 would be my choice
I haven't been able to absolutely confirm it but I've read multiple sources that say Motorcraft is repackaged Conoco/Phillips oil.

I got a few cases of Phillips 66 Trop-Arctic Semi-syn for $1.79 a quart some time back. I was pleasantly suprised how high it was regarded on sites like BITOG. I was even more suprised at how good it actually was.

I keep telling myself I'm going to try the Motorcraft....and then I pick up the big white bottle of Valvoline anyway.

I don't dislike Pennzoil/QuakerState. I just prefer how clear and clean Valvoline is when it comes out of the bottle. I know that doesn't make a bit of difference in how the oil protects and lubricates. I just feel better about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im totally confused now....i own a 09' that i just bought about a week ago...i always loved full synthetic oil for all my cars...Im a big fan of Mobil 1 even though its $7.00 a quart...im confused with the oil filter...can someone tell me if my model uses a cartridge or spin off...im familiar with both but i havent lifted the car yet....too lazy....the manual i think says that the japanese model uses the cartridge and us models use the spin off...can someone confirm that for me...thanks in advance...also what do you guys think about using 91 instead of 87 fuel...

·
Registered
16 Posts
For the 2.5 liter 4, 2009 engines all used the cartridge filter. My 2010 2.5L uses a spin on filter. If you look up the filter at an auto parts counter, even the 2010 shows both a cartridge and the spin on as being used. I can only assume that the filter manufacturers don't know what filter is being used, or Mazda made the change sometime after the 2010's came out. I have not been able to confirm this though. My 2010 was built in Oct 2009, so I would assume that is a fairly early 2010. One possibility that I haven't considered until now is that maybe they made the change right at the end of 2009 production, which means that 2009's built in the Aug/Sep 2009 time frame may also have a spin on filter. Once again, I haven't really checked this out, maybe some one out there has a 2009 with a spin on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mobil1 full synthetic oil cost around $27.00 @ Walmart.
mazda Oil filter- I bought mine online for $5.56. Free shipping if you order is over $50.00. I ordered 4 oil filter, 1 cabin filter, 1 air filter @
OE Discount Parts

You can easily see the oil filter if you open the hood.It is in between radiator and the engine. If it is white it is spin off.

I think it is easier to drain the oil at the oil filter first before you lift the car.

oops sorry, i didn't check the date. my post is 1 year late

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question I bought a 2011 Mazda 6 2.5 and it wants the 0w-20 oil which Is $9.00 a quart.. I also decided to look into how much money this "supposedly" fuel saving oil actually saves you.. The average consumer saves an average of $400 in the lifetime of the vehicle.. Well I religiously change my oil every 3000 miles and it's gonna cost me more to use this ridiculously expensive oil and ultimately I will save no money but just pay more..

My ultimate question in this rant has anyone used 5w-20 or 5w-30.. or heard anything about using it over 0w-20?

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what I understand Mazda "recommends" 0w20 for fuel economy reasons so a 5w20 should not void your warranty as long as it is API SM or later. The viscosity will still be a 20W at operating temperature. The benefit of the 0w20 is mainly better cold starting than a 5w20 and the "fuel economy" benefits which is most likely nil.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah my mother had a 2006 Civic hybrid that called for 0W-20 oil aswell. Since it was new it never got that kind of oil it always had 5w-20 and it did fine all the way up to 145000 when she got rid of it . So you should be fine using the 5W-20 :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts