Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Mazda 6 with the 2.3L motor

Bought the car to resell and ended up keeping it for a while since I liked it sooo much. Last week I was driving it and and the engine just shut off, and the rpm's just dropped on me. No bang, I was just cruising at about 30mph, nothing major.

Got it towed home, saw it had no oil in it, filled up the oil, checked the CEL and got a p0340 for a camshaft sensor. Replaced the sensor, nothing.

So the car is cranking, it gets gas up until the fuel rail, and i can smell gas on the spark plugs, so I know the injectors are firing; checked the spark, and I only get one spark while cranking it.(pretty sure its suppose to be more then one spark)

I also replaced the Crank sensor, and the Coil, no change in spark.

I removed the plugs one by one, and did a compression test and here are the numbers:

1:95
2:155
3:90
4:95

Could the numbers be this low because of too much fuel in the cylinders causing it to not get proper compression?

running out of ideas on what to do next?timing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
that code set with no oil in the car is set due to a few things. mainly the vvt can not work with the oil that low... this can cause the timing to jump and the vvt to break. the timing job could fix it if you replace All of the timing parts. but its still possible that something got damaged when the timing jumped. also the best way to see if your psi is due to gas would be to get a little oil in the cyl then run the test. return the sensor if you can. thats not going to help you at all. remember that a timing job can not be done without the timing tools. so i wouldn't jump into the job if you don't have the tools. also dont pull the harmonic cause that will let timing go also. if you have the option i would get another motor and swap it in. let of a risk and cheaper lol

hope this was helpful! and good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input,
I really dont want to just toss in a new engine in it, cause im looking at around 1500 for a used motor.

other then doing the compression test, is there a way to see if the timing belt jumping could of broke anything?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This motor is chain not belt. And the only thing i can think is to get the valve cover off and get tdc on cyl#1and see if both cam lobes are pointing out even if they are way off then i would say you jumped. Have you ever done a job like this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2005 mazda 6, no spark, bad compression, no oil before

Sorry for the late reply, the timing on the car is good, I used a screwdriver in cyl #1 to see where it was the highest to find TDC. Then I popped of the valve cover to look at the lobes and they were extremely close to being flat straight across, maybe off by a degree or two?

What I had also done was grab a coil and toss it on, that did nothing for the spark. Lastly a mechianic had suggested the Crank shaft position sensor. I replaced that in a odd way, unstead of buying the TDC tool, I just used a chalk to mark exactly where the old sensor was and tossed on the new one in the same position. Nothing im at the same spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts