Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good safe nitrous option to go with our car?? I have a 2003 and mainly am pursuing the style route (JL Audio system, painted calipers, removed all the badges, neons under the car) and figured that purging feature of nitrous would be stylish and I would have a little bit of nitrous to back it up. I don't want a turbo because mostly I just like to cruise in the 6 and don't want to have to deal with the cost and maintence of a turbo and lower gas mileage but I would love to have power to at least be able to beat a scion tc or something when they decided to be an idiot! What usually breaks first for people who are running like 50 shots?

·
Registered
281 Posts
You can have Nitro for show off only...
I don't know M6 which have engine alive after it...

P.S. Personally I don't like show off... I like stock view with LOT of additional power under the hood and use it at track.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have you looked into CO2 instead. Its about the 3rd of the cost too fill up and you can but a basix set-up from jc whitneys for less.. about $400us. If its just for show then its better then spending 3 bucks a pound for NO2.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not just for show I would use it sometime but not at a track. What do you guys recommend upgrading first just so that nothing breaks? Also what kits and companies are good?

Edit: I'm looking at these CO2 systems right now but I can't really find anything about performance gains, what is expected gain with one of these?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Edit: I'm looking at these CO2 systems right now but I can't really find anything about performance gains, what is expected gain with one of these?
[/b]

He meant to get cO2 for show (to purge) instead of nitrous because it is cheaper. You can't spray cO2 into an engine... Engines burn OXYGEN and fuel to run. ;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
alright check it, while chambers car is not stock ( because of internals ) my engine is stock! except for CAI , Headers, SAFC II, and exhaust...

ive beening running nitrous longer than chambers....( not by much ) and have sprayed over countless of times with a 50 and my engine has lasted....you can call it luck i guess.

if you get nitrous one rule of thumb....if you use it alot youll abuse it....only use it when needed...and it is EXTREMELY good for shows....thats the route i would take if i were you.

if you want a little more punch, CAI Headers, and exhaust will do the trick....since you dont want to go turbo :sarc:

·
Registered
172 Posts
He meant to get cO2 for show (to purge) instead of nitrous because it is cheaper. You can't spray cO2 into an engine... Engines burn OXYGEN and fuel to run. ;)
[/b]
Well sorry BUT YOU CAN RUN CO2 in youyr engine. WHy??? ITs liquid CO2 and once it is released from the tank and is exposed to air it becomes very cold something like negitive 80 degrees.. JUST like NOS.

It's not just for show I would use it sometime but not at a track. What do you guys recommend upgrading first just so that nothing breaks? Also what kits and companies are good?
[/b]
Im us sure about the p[erfomance gains but My thinking it might be anywhere from 5hp to 20hp depending on what kinda setup you use... but it will NOT produce the same amouth that NOS can.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
might wanna do some reading Jack, the 2 are far from the same when put in the engine.

CO2 for cooling, Nitrous for cooling or combustion

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nightmare I want to run something like what you have, can you suggest the parts/kits you have and that have not really given you problems?

·
Registered
603 Posts
i am using a universal kit with dual purge....all you need is a CAI, Header, Exhaust and ur all set....the usage depends on you crazy....dont get to Crazy ( LOL ) if you do it properly and responsibily....youll be fine.

BUT....when using NO2 it involves luck....you can spray for the first time and blow your engine up....understand that it is a risk and that nothing is safe when using that....you just have a better chance to prevent it...but eventually it will start to hurt your engine....which is why i HARDLY spray....longevity is a key my friend LOL unless you run a properly built setup ( chambers ) with internals and what not like posted earlier.

chambers is also running nitrous....mind getting on here and giving some adittional advice chamby?

·
Registered
172 Posts
might wanna do some reading Jack, the 2 are far from the same when put in the engine.

CO2 for cooling, Nitrous for cooling or combustion
[/quotI would have to disagree with that. NOS when released into air is super cold just like CO2. SO colder air is denser then hotter air. denser air = more horsepower potential. That is why a car in the cold morning when it is just started seems faster then one on a 100 dregree day warmed up already does.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nitrous Oxide is nothing more than a Oxidizing agent, meaning it (N2O) transfers more Oxygen into the engine! The Nitrogen actually acts like a buffer in the engine and stabalilzes the oxygen for a less volital explosion.

In racing, nitrous oxide (often just "nitrous" in this context) is sometimes injected into the intake manifold (or prior to the intake manifold; some systems directly inject it into the cylinder) to increase power: even though the gas itself is not flammable, it delivers more oxygen than atmospheric air by breaking down at elevated temperatures, thus allowing the engine to burn more fuel and air. Additionally, since nitrous oxide is stored as a liquid, the evaporation of liquid nitrous oxide in the intake manifold causes a large drop in intake charge temperature. This results in a denser charge, and can reduce detonation, as well as increase power available to the engine.

Some would say its just like adding a turbo or supercharger in the fact that it just basically adds more oxygen molecules to the combustion, therefore you must add fuel (gasoline) in order to keep from running an extreme lean condition.

Hope this Helps all that needed some brushing up!

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
...yup

and please don't blow your engine with nitrous then take it all off and take the car in for warranty replacement!

·
Registered
172 Posts
That is great too hear... WHy tho?? is simple terms (to me that is) colder intake charge then more fuel can be injected... colder denser air with more fuel = more hp.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
colder (denser) air does allow for more HP, that wasn't the problem. the problem is Nitrous makes it's power from what it chemicly is, it's state leads to a temp change as an added bonus.

...and we have yet to see (that i remember) an I4 intake manifold expode....V6 yes, us no

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i am using a universal kit with dual purge....all you need is a CAI, Header, Exhaust and ur all set....the usage depends on you crazy....dont get to Crazy ( LOL ) if you do it properly and responsibily....youll be fine.

BUT....when using NO2 it involves luck....you can spray for the first time and blow your engine up....understand that it is a risk and that nothing is safe when using that....you just have a better chance to prevent it...but eventually it will start to hurt your engine....which is why i HARDLY spray....longevity is a key my friend LOL unless you run a properly built setup ( chambers ) with internals and what not like posted earlier.
chambers is also running nitrous....mind getting on here and giving some adittional advice chamby?[/b]
hmm.. advice from me.... dont count your chickens before they hatch and never run nitrous with a fram oil filter cartrage unless you replace the "cap" as well. lol
nah your fine just make sure you get your car dynoed at your local dyno to get your air/fuel mixture good and clean. then you are good to go.... faster.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts