Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that the shift from 2 to 3 is slightly rough in my AT 6s. It's not really noticeable unless you're in traffic and accelerating slowly. The shift point seems to be around 2300. The transmission seems to be a little slow shifting allowing to revs to blip a bit.

It's not really a problem, I just wanted to know if anyone else has a similar experience.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Reading Topic: 2-3 shift roughness

I notice the rough shift when my wife drives since she's the only one who drives it in automatic but in the steptronic i have no problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts

When driving the 6S slow I noticed an abrupt bang today when it shifted. I stopped at a light and drove slow again and it did it again. Driving the car hard it seems to shift fine.....HMmmm

Anyone Else?

·
Registered
94 Posts

I have been having shifting roughness between first and second usually when driving in the parking deck. The AT seems to let the engine rev higher than normal before shifting. I have the 6s.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Is this occuring before the car is warmed up? Some transmissions, in my experience, are a little sticky until they get all toasty warm.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Is this occuring before the car is warmed up? Some transmissions, in my experience, are a little sticky until they get all toasty warm.
[/b]
I'm going to revive this ANCIENT thread because this is getting to be an issue that I notice more and more in my car. I really don't think this is a normal thing.

I've complained about this before on the boards and nobody else understood what I was getting at or could replicate it. My 2-3 shift if I'm driving slow isn't just slow, it clunks. Sometimes it's strong, sometimes it's not. Once in a while it's harsh enough to get a good noise from the dash, like you've nailed a pothole.

The harshness of the shift isn't worse when it's cold outside or the ATX isn't fully warmed up, it just makes it more difficult to cause, but either way I can almost always cause the issue. Now lately I've noticed it shifts harshly in manual mode as well, and I've also noticed that a 4-3 downshift in manual mode will sometimes cause it to slam into third very hard, particularly if I'm not on the throttle.

Any thoughts?? I think I'm going to bring this in to a dealer and get someone to ride with me so I can show them what it's doing. If they can't or won't do anything I'm going to try another place, it just can't be right.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I'm going to revive this ANCIENT thread because this is getting to be an issue that I notice more and more in my car. I really don't think this is a normal thing.

I've complained about this before on the boards and nobody else understood what I was getting at or could replicate it. My 2-3 shift if I'm driving slow isn't just slow, it clunks. Sometimes it's strong, sometimes it's not. Once in a while it's harsh enough to get a good noise from the dash, like you've nailed a pothole.

The harshness of the shift isn't worse when it's cold outside or the ATX isn't fully warmed up, it just makes it more difficult to cause, but either way I can almost always cause the issue. Now lately I've noticed it shifts harshly in manual mode as well, and I've also noticed that a 4-3 downshift in manual mode will sometimes cause it to slam into third very hard, particularly if I'm not on the throttle.

Any thoughts?? I think I'm going to bring this in to a dealer and get someone to ride with me so I can show them what it's doing. If they can't or won't do anything I'm going to try another place, it just can't be right.
[/b]
Have you been going to your dealer and getting the tcm flashed? I did mine recently because of an electrical/comp problem where it erased or couldnt "relearn" the flash of the "Shift Shock", 40-50mph surge and the MSP10. All have been recognized by Mazda and you can get a complete listing of the bulletins/recalls from Rosenthal Mazda, a very well known sponsor of this site. I would read through it and see if any of these apply to you in particular. But it does sound like dealer time! :)

Linky,
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda...tins_index.html
Good luck!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Have you been going to your dealer and getting the tcm flashed? I did mine recently because of an electrical/comp problem where it erased or couldnt "relearn" the flash of the "Shift Shock", 40-50mph surge and the MSP10. All have been recognized by Mazda and you can get a complete listing of the bulletins/recalls from Rosenthal Mazda, a very well known sponsor of this site. I would read through it and see if any of these apply to you in particular. But it does sound like dealer time! :)

Linky,
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda...tins_index.html
Good luck!
[/b]
I have twice in the past complained about how the transmissions shifts and they basically send me on my way. They won't reflash the thing on customer request, they want a good reason. My fear is if it has needed a reflash this whole time that now, after 25k miles real damage has been caused.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've noticed that the shift from 2 to 3 is slightly rough in my AT 6s. It's not really noticeable unless you're in traffic and accelerating slowly. The shift point seems to be around 2300. The transmission seems to be a little slow shifting allowing to revs to blip a bit.
[/b]

...and I've also noticed that a 4-3 downshift in manual mode will sometimes cause it to slam into third very hard, particularly if I'm not on the throttle.

[/b]

Guys - I have PRECISELY the same problem. The "1-2 Shift Shock" TSB update didn't help the problem either.

I have yet to be able to reproduce this problem with a tech in the car, :swearin: but I fear that the problem is with the valve body in the tranny. To me, it feels like it can' t quite make enough pressure to complete the shift smoothly. Once the pressure builds up, it "pops" into 3rd gear.

I've noticed it on 2-3 upshifts when cold, and the 4-3 downshift under certain conditions.

I have a '04 6s V6, that I took delivery of in April of 2003. To anyone else with this problem - what vintage is your '6? Perhaps it was a bad day at the tranny factory in Mexico...

Let us know what you find out mym6!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Guys - I have PRECISELY the same problem. The "1-2 Shift Shock" TSB update didn't help the problem either.

I have yet to be able to reproduce this problem with a tech in the car, :swearin: but I fear that the problem is with the valve body in the tranny. To me, it feels like it can' t quite make enough pressure to complete the shift smoothly. Once the pressure builds up, it "pops" into 3rd gear.

I've noticed it on 2-3 upshifts when cold, and the 4-3 downshift under certain conditions.

I have a '04 6s V6, that I took delivery of in April of 2003. To anyone else with this problem - what vintage is your '6? Perhaps it was a bad day at the tranny factory in Mexico...

Let us know what you find out mym6!
[/b]
The most reliable way I've found to cause the shift shock is to slowly accelerate going down a slight hill. When you do this the car will accelerate on it's own a little bit from the hill. It's all about timing, you want to accelerate until you think the car will want to shift to third and then let up but only enough to maintain the speed you are going, if you let up completely it won't do it. It's weird that it takes such a precise set of conditions to make it happen, but those conditions are almost always met for me making left turns when crossing a 2 or 3 lane road (coincidence? :p )

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wow - sounds like we're driving the same damn car. The only exception is that I can replicate the problem on level ground as well. A hill accentuates the problem.

I have 80,000 kms (about 50,000 miles) and it's been getting worse.

It's going to be a pain in the ass, but next oil change (in about 3 weeks)I'm going to try to co-ordinate it so that I can best demostrate this to the tech.

I'll post if I have any success.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can reploduce this easily, did it multiple times. After three reflushes it is still the case, and tranny is much slower reacting now than it used to be.
Here is how to do this. On an ampti road start driving, then break almost to the point of stopping the car, but not just. Then accelerate, not too hard, but not too soft either. After five to ten cycles this will happen.
P.S. Mine is 6s 2004 wagon with five-speed ATX.

·
Registered
467 Posts
On an [empty] road start driving, then [brake] almost to the point of stopping the car, but not just. Then accelerate, not too hard, but not too soft either. After five to ten cycles this will happen.
[/b]
This aligns with what I've seen - I invariably get this only when in moderate slow, traffic like a very long line before a red light.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Thats weird, my service techs have no problem reflashing the shift shock and the msp10. I have to admit, the msp10 really decreased and almost eliminated the shift shock in my case.

If you can get your service guy to reflash those two simple bulletins, I'd take it elsewhere and tell them that they have lost your service business with them. You are the consumer and you are to be made happy. Why not just take the car and flash it to just make you happy? Its warrantied, its a Mazda known issue, whats the big deal? I dunno, I would have raised hell if they wouldn't do the reflash. I just got it reflashed and the bulletin shown as being done not too long ago. I just request to be done and they had no quams in doing it.

Well good luck to you. I need sleep. Been on the road for most of the day traveling!

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Ever since I installed my transmission cooler and switched to Redline D4, the occurance of shift shock dramatically decreased. I highly recommend it to anyone with an ATX. All this and no reflash involved.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thats weird, my service techs have no problem reflashing the shift shock and the msp10. I have to admit, the msp10 really decreased and almost eliminated the shift shock in my case.
[/b]
Personally, I had no trouble getting the re-flash done. In my case, it didn't help.

Ever since I installed my transmission cooler and switched to Redline D4, the occurance of shift shock dramatically decreased. I highly recommend it to anyone with an ATX. All this and no reflash involved.
[/b]
Good to know. What seems weird, though, is that several wagon owners have reported the same problem, and they already have tranny coolers.

My spidey-sense tells me it's the valve body...or worse...maybe one of the bands is slipping...but I don't race, tow, or otherwise beat on it (much).
Thank God it's still in warantee.

So we'll see what happens after the next service.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Personally, I had no trouble getting the re-flash done. In my case, it didn't help.
Good to know. What seems weird, though, is that several wagon owners have reported the same problem, and they already have tranny coolers.

My spidey-sense tells me it's the valve body...or worse...maybe one of the bands is slipping...but I don't race, tow, or otherwise beat on it (much).
Thank God it's still in warantee.

So we'll see what happens after the next service.
[/b]
Took my car in this morning and got it to happen fairly rough on the first try. I explained the other stuff about how sometimes a 4-3 shift would suck and now I even have it happen in manual mode (2->3). I'm bringing it back tomorrow so they can hook something up to monitor the pressures while driving, hopefully something will be found.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I've noticed recently on my car that sometimes (I haven't narrowed done the conditions yet) when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, the tranny takes so long that the revs rise in between the shift, the cars acceleration slows, and then it sorta bumps when it finally goes into third.

This is what you guys are talking about right?

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I believe so. If you are gradually accelerating do you get this more often than just gunning it? Also happens if when you press on the brakes to make a right turn and try to accelerate off the turn gradually. Well that is how me and the wife narrowed it down by.

But for me, once they did the surge, shift shock and msp10 flash, this has decreased the number of times it bucks in gear when gradually accelerating.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts