Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well,
I had planned on buying a Volvo S60, and I had one all picked out.

Then I saw this very nice Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon on the lot.

I drove them both... the Volvo had 1/2 the kms on it.

By far the Mazda had a nicer feel, and was overall a nicer car. Plus it was $5000 less than the Volvo.

I bought the Mazda, and I am extremely happy with it.

Now, after I bought it, I have seen information that suggests that my 3.0 is a Ford motor... This concerns me a bit, because I had a Ford 3.0 on my last car, and it was a total piece of crap.

Someone please tell me I didn't buy a Ford! Please!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time owner too ZOOM ZOOM

i just bought a used 2004 Mazda 6, the 4 cylinder, i love the way it handles, and it looks so sweet!

realy really dumb question though - it did not come with the Book, and i want to know what the M+/- on the gear shift means . . . . is it the 1,2 gear that is standard on auto transmissions???

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The M +/- is a semi-manual automatic transmission (M=Manual +/-). Kind of like the Porsche TipTronic.

So you can go up and down the gears (+/-) as you feel like it.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,548 Posts
Well,
I had planned on buying a Volvo S60, and I had one all picked out.

Then I saw this very nice Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon on the lot.

I drove them both... the Volvo had 1/2 the kms on it.

By far the Mazda had a nicer feel, and was overall a nicer car. Plus it was $5000 less than the Volvo.

I bought the Mazda, and I am extremely happy with it.

Now, after I bought it, I have seen information that suggests that my 3.0 is a Ford motor... This concerns me a bit, because I had a Ford 3.0 on my last car, and it was a total piece of crap.

Someone please tell me I didn't buy a Ford! Please!!
First, :welcome9:to the 6Club! :wavey:
Secondly, it is indeed a Ford engine with some Ford internals, but the heads are Mazda-designed, and Mazda did the final tuning before using it for the 6.

Is it supposed to be a good, reliable engine?
There has been some instances of the pre-cats failing, causing engine failure. There's also the PCV valve, which if it hasn't been replaced yet, should be done, for they tend to fail and cause it to lose oil, which can also cause engine failure.

For the pre-cat info, do some research on this forum.

Don't panic though, there are some perfectly good V6's with well over 100K miles and still running strong. I've got 88K on my V6 and have only done regular maintenance, along with a new PCV valve...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mazda 6 VS Infiniti G37

Drove the Mazda 6 S Grand Touring (V-6) last week and really loved it, however I test drove the Infiniti G37 today and all I can say is wow.

I like them both but can't make up my mind. The Mazda 6 is more in my price range and I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are about the G37 is it worth the additional coin?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Secondly, it is indeed a Ford engine with some Ford internals, but the heads are Mazda-designed, and Mazda did the final tuning before using it for the 6.

There has been some instances of the pre-cats failing, causing engine failure. There's also the PCV valve, which if it hasn't been replaced yet, should be done, for they tend to fail and cause it to lose oil, which can also cause engine failure.

Don't panic though, there are some perfectly good V6's with well over 100K miles and still running strong. I've got 88K on my V6 and have only done regular maintenance, along with a new PCV valve...
Do you know of any good links that indicate where the PCV valve on the 3.0 is?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,548 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a pre-cat? My guess a pre-catalytic something?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Drove the Mazda 6 S Grand Touring (V-6) last week and really loved it, however I test drove the Infiniti G37 today and all I can say is wow.

I like them both but can't make up my mind. The Mazda 6 is more in my price range and I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are about the G37 is it worth the additional coin?
Sorry hit the wrong button on previous post which had no quote.

The Infiniti G37 is a nicer vehicle, period. I think only you can decide whether it is worth the additional coin or not. For me, a vehicle is a depreciating asset and never an investment, so I try not to buy too expensive of a car. Plus I hate car payments. But that is only my opinion and to each his own. I think only you can decide if the additional cost is worth it to you or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts