Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I inherited a 2007 M6i 2.3l from my daughter. Im starting this project cold with almost zero knowledge of the car and its various problems. Among the issues is a complete loss of power steering. The PS pump is blown out leaking from somewhere (yet to be determined) and has been replaced once already. Supposedly. I filled the empty tank and went on a drive, but the PS never kicked in. Light driving, heavy cornering in S-turns, PS never even felt like it would come back. Almost like driving a 40's semi with crappier steering.

I have no idea where to start. Please tell me it's not the rack and pinion. That looks like a real PITA to change out. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I washed out the engine compartment today and took it for a test drive. The PS is shot, and the PS pump won't hold more than half a tank, but it doesn't appear to be leaking from the pump as originally thought. The main line on top may have a small leak over time, but nothing major. Probably a line coming out of it somewhere, but I can't follow the line under the engine as the car is lowered until I get it into work where we have a pit in the shop.

I was told that one of the lines got melted at one point and was replaced, but no clue which one. Do any of the PS lines run under the manifold in the rear?

·
Rally Racer
2,539 Posts
I washed out the engine compartment today and took it for a test drive. The PS is shot, and the PS pump won't hold more than half a tank, but it doesn't appear to be leaking from the pump as originally thought. The main line on top may have a small leak over time, but nothing major. Probably a line coming out of it somewhere, but I can't follow the line under the engine as the car is lowered until I get it into work where we have a pit in the shop.

I was told that one of the lines got melted at one point and was replaced, but no clue which one. Do any of the PS lines run under the manifold in the rear?
Thanks for the mention @Archerfish

Everything is running around the sub-frame. If you have a leak anywhere and have taken air into the system then it is likely to not work well. Bleeding the air out is pretty easy once sealed up. With the front wheels in the air and engine off, turn the wheel from lock-to-lock (without hitting the end point of turning) 50+ times. Be sure to check fluid at points along the way.

Mazda 6 (GG, GY) Power Steering Torque Spec L3 Motor.jpg Mazda 6 (GG, GY) Power Steering L3 Motor.jpg Mazda 6 (GG, GY) Power Steering Air Bleeding.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, man. This is going to be great help. The mechanic at work is going to help me go over this thing Wed. when we get done. I'll post up my findings and the fix when I get to it.

I still have to find where its leaking gas from, cause I can smell it with the windows down, but it's coming from the back of the car by the tank. Weirdest issue I've ever had with my vehicles.

Anyway. I appreciate the response.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If there is a leak the system won't build the pressure it needs to "assist" the steering rack.
Fix that first, then properly drain and purge the system as suggested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there is a leak the system won't build the pressure it needs to "assist" the steering rack.
Fix that first, then properly drain and purge the system as suggested.

There's definitely a leak. I'm going to get it over the pit today and see what I can find. This is why I stick with trucks and not lowered cars. LoL So hard to get under them and work on it.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I had one of the rigid high pressure lines develop a corrosion leak. I have a V6 so the lines runs will be different, but I'd try taking a look at those. I would never have suspected a rigid line failure so it took a while to get to that point. Also, you may need to replace that pump after you have all this sorted out. Running them dry is very hard on them. Keep us posted on your findings. We always like to hear what ended up being the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would appear I have two separate leaks. The high pressure line on the passenger side under the front of the oil pan, and the return line just under the radiator. Both appear to come from the mounts. From the videos I've watched and the reading I've done, it's common for the lines to wear under these mounts and rub a hole or simply break under the pressure over time.

The high pressure line looks easy enough to fix, but that return line looks like an absolute bitch to fix. Do I have no choice but to buy a whole line and replace it, or can I get away with cutting the end off, flaring it, and putting a new rubber line in its place?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, please keep in mind I'm not restoring this car or turning it into cross country cruiser or anything fancy. This will be my youngest daughter's first car, which shes probably going to wreck eventually anyway. ? I just need it to last for a year or two. Max.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts