Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember when I first got my Speed 6 and read the owners manual I read a warning in it that I should never attempt to put the car into 1st Gear when I am going faster than 20 MPH. I noticed a few weeks ago I was doing it alot when I was rolling to a stop sign or stop light, just habit I guess. My question is: Do you think this may be causing the notchy gears and/or pre-mature clutch failure? It was never in issue in any of my last cars so it is just habit for me to put it into 1st as soon as I start slowing for a stop. I now make an effort to not do this but this may be a cause of some of the mentioned transmission woes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
At anything but a dead stop you are going to be putting a lot of stress on the synchros. I know it is habit but there is always time to start new healthy ones. If you are going to roll through a stop just leave it in second gear. Our engine has plenty of grunt to keep you going and the wear on the engine shouldn't be that much. If you are set on putting it into first, learn how to double clutch. Your transmission will thank you :) .

·
Registered
17 Posts
At anything but a dead stop you are going to be putting a lot of stress on the synchros. I know it is habit but there is always time to start new healthy ones. If you are going to roll through a stop just leave it in second gear. Our engine has plenty of grunt to keep you going and the wear on the engine shouldn't be that much. If you are set on putting it into first, learn how to double clutch. Your transmission will thank you :) .
[/b]
yea its the syncrhos they are worried about... my 2 cents for u.. my habit is i never really take it into 1st gear unless i'm starting from complete stop or VERY VERY slow.. (like 5km/h... i'm in canada so i dunno how fast that is in miles) usually if i'm stopping i just leave itin 2nd gear until almost complete stop or so then i will disengage the clutch.... and with above mentioned double clutching... i wouldn't say its a bad thing to do but i wouldn't recommended either.. the first gear and second gear ratio differs quite a bit.. so if u rev ur engine up too little u will probably get that big WAMP and it will seems like u stalled ur car from behind =P...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[/b]
I dont do this, I stopped once I realized I was doing it. My point for this thread is that Mazda specifically states not to do it due to possible damage, I have never had a car before that the manufacture makes this statement. If people are in fact doing this, it may be one reason some are experiencing transmission problems. I believe the manual specifically states clutch damage or failure.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I dont do this, I stopped once I realized I was doing it. My point for this thread is that Mazda specifically states not to do it due to possible damage, I have never had a car before that the manufacture makes this statement. If people are in fact doing this, it may be one reason some are experiencing transmission problems. I believe the manual specifically states clutch damage or failure.
[/b]
It is not that unique - I have seen it mentioned in the manuals for a number of FoMoCo fwd cars I have owned.

·
Registered
829 Posts
[/b]
I think lots of car manuals say not to do it. My ZX2 said it, I am pretty sure. Heck, the "how things work" online said it when I was reading about sticks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[/b]
just my guess tho.. the reason why it specifically stated there its cuz this car is 6 speed right... so i am guessnig ur previous cars were 5 speed.. so the first gear ratio is obviously different and there is probably more stress on the first gear of a 6mtx as compare to the 5mtx since the gear ratio would be a bit bigger cuz there is 6 gears to spread the speed range over instead of 5... just my random thought... and I don't know if many people drives the way u do.. not saying its bad though.. just thought it might be very tiresome cuz your always on your clutch then.. even when ur at a complete stop..?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
You can safely go to 1st below ~10 mph if you rev match it... pretty simple and it slides into gear like your in neutral. Any time you get slight resistance going into gear that tells you that your synchros are working, some time take 1st up to 6,000 rpm then hit 4th, don't force it into 4th but just a gentle pressure, as the RPM's drop you will fee lthe shifter slide right in when the rpm's and sychros all match up...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts