Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I know there were a few DSM owners on here so I'm looking for some info, considering buying one of these and want some opinions.

it's got 90K miles...how long do these vehicles last (oh and it's completly stock with a brand new Xmsn)

Crank walk...huh? anyone have some insight?

AWD setup: it has a transfer case I think, anyone have any more info on it? (mechanical vs viscous center dif) any drivetrain problems?

I'm not looking to mod it just a vehicle to beat on and put lots of miles on it with road trips for my new job as well as vermont trips. (I really dont want to put 25K a year on my MS6)

any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
DSMs are usualy not considered reliable car, i have owned 2 of them so i know. You probably gonna be spending alot of time repairing it as it will break down here and there. usually crankwalk happens alot earlier if the engine has the problem so you should be safe there but unless u r familiar with dsm, repairing bill will cost u an arm and leg (specaily doing timing belt). If you want a reliable beater to get ur on long distance trips I really wouldn't recommend a DSM. If for modding and speed, that's a whole other story.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DSMs are usualy not considered reliable car, i have owned 2 of them so i know. You probably gonna be spending alot of time repairing it as it will break down here and there. usually crankwalk happens alot earlier if the engine has the problem so you should be safe there but unless u r familiar with dsm, repairing bill will cost u an arm and leg (specaily doing timing belt). If you want a reliable beater to get ur on long distance trips I really wouldn't recommend a DSM. If for modding and speed, that's a whole other story.
[/b]
thanks for the heads up

Just out of curriosity what DSMs did you have? Anything severe go wrong with them?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I say buy it, DSM's are fun little cars. I had a 95 GST that never had any major problems while I had it, but the engine blew up shortly after I got rid of it. Couldn't have been the 21 lbs. of boost I was running...... If you don't mod it you'll be fine, but with the unlimited aftermarket following, it'd only be a matter of time. You might want to think about a less tempting daily driver.

Cam

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
GOD.. lol if you want reliable... DO NOT get a DSM... specially that year.. with crank walk and all. 95-98 had this problem the worst...... It's defiently a mechanics car thats for sure... But fuck are they fun when they do run. I really really miss mine..

I wouldn't mind getting myself a nice first gen gst though... Just to fuck around with and play with. but not with the worry that it hast to be fixed ASAP so I can get to work since I'd still have the 6.....

·
Registered
922 Posts
look at my sig.... i have no issues with it at this point, but i did everything RIGHT and didn't cut corners... in the grand scale they aren't too reliable, but the 4G63 is one of the best motors ever built and the aftermarket is limitless...

as someone posted before, nothin is much more fun than a quick DSM...

my take... scrap the 95-99 models and find a cheap 89-94... those motors don't suffer from crankwalk...

paul

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
look at my sig.... i have no issues with it at this point, but i did everything RIGHT and didn't cut corners... in the grand scale they aren't too reliable, but the 4G63 is one of the best motors ever built and the aftermarket is limitless...

as someone posted before, nothin is much more fun than a quick DSM...

my take... scrap the 95-99 models and find a cheap 89-94... those motors don't suffer from crankwalk...

paul
[/b]
+1

You will have ALOT more problems with a second gen then a girst gen. They don't look AS cool as the second gens though... But yeah. now I want to go find a nice cheap 1g dsm to play with lol..

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1

You will have ALOT more problems with a second gen then a girst gen. They don't look AS cool as the second gens though... But yeah. now I want to go find a nice cheap 1g dsm to play with lol..
[/b]
I take it you had a DSM HedsIc, other than crank walk (which I read up extensivly yesterday) what other mechanical issues are we talking about?

My take on crank walk FWIW: Crank walk is slop or play in the movements of the crank shaft that damages the engine and possibly tranny/clutch. This slop is caused by damage or failure of the thrust bearings that position and allow rotation of the crank shaft. As an engineer I agree this is a sound theory. As a former bearing engineer there are 4 usual causes for premature bearing failure. 1. Not enough lube...plain and simple. 2. Imperfections in the bearing material (not very likely in such a widespread case). 3. Excesive loads, vibration, or misalignment...vibration is always possible in an engine. 4. Debris in the bearing (again not very likely in as many vehicles).

After reading a bunch people tend to lean towards what they refer to as the 2G's "oil squirter" or as it is more technicly know as, the oi jet, that provides lubrication to these thrust bearings. This is a likely scenario since the 1G does not have the same jet or jet type to provide passage to these bearings and the 1g experiences this phenomina much less. The only this one could do to prevent this would be always ensure clean oil is in the engine to prevent clogging or damage to the jet, and possibly us a slightly more viscous oil that will not tend to run as quickly and leave the bearing lubeless.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
did my whoel thing get deleated. dam. I posted a whole thing yesterday. My friends eclipse GST is nice, BUT WOULD BE TERRIBLE TO DRIVE with on express way ect. Its a toy car, and in no way is luxurious or comfortable personanlly. The 6 is both luxurious and sporty. Its perfect. the GST or gsx arent at all one bit my taste at all. The speed and light weight is nice, but for driving it everywhere, that would suck. Driving aroudn town isnt to bad but express way is freaky.

·
Registered
102 Posts
...by the time mitsubishi produces a reliable car (04 eclipse) they replace it with something else bound to fail (completely redisgned late 05 eclipse).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts