Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've posted numerous times I'm about to move to Jax, and I really want a sportier older car for doing business travelling during the week - I'm looking at getting a Mazda MX-3 for under $600, I *think* all it would need is a trip to a mechanic to get the timing right. Does this sound reasonable? The body is in reasonable condition, 130k-140k miles.

Any input is appreciated - I still have to look it over with a fine tooth comb, but I'm really considering it at this point. I don't mind having a car that needs a little work since I like working on cars.

·
Registered
990 Posts
It was a 1.8L V6...130hp. I test drove one when they were new....blast to drive. Not particularly fast, but handled well & sounded really good.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not looking for something extremely fast, if it has as much pickup as my 2.3L then I'll be happy. It's primarily to keep all the miles from driving around Jacksonville for work off my brand new car (and it will only have liability instead of the full shebang), if I can get 60k miles off it I'll be happy.

·
Registered
940 Posts
It was a 1.8L V6...130hp. I test drove one when they were new....blast to drive. Not particularly fast, but handled well & sounded really good.[/b]

You shattered the illusion for me - when those came out and I heard they had a V6 model I thought that thing would haul ass..... Oh well, still neat looking cars.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Drop in a klze 200 hp jspec and it will eat our cars all day long. $900.00 all day long.[/b]
+1 I dropped a ZE into my Probe...and well lets say in stock form, my MS6 had trouble staying ahead. But I have a VAST knowledge of these motors. There is A LOT to check before buying a car with these motors in them. Check all the spark plug wells for oil (front valve cover gaskets are very prone to leaking), check the disty and entire spark system (those distys will crap out w/o notice), the suspension (front and rear mounts), timeing belt tensior, belt, and water pump (like you said)ummm what else. I'm sure I'll come up with more as I get back under the hood of my Probe. But they are pretty good on gas if maintained. Just don't expect to be able to race it and have it stay running for long.

If all this checks out go for it. Otherwise trying to find someone who knows these motors well is hard to do. And if you do need help with maintaince drop me a line. I have no problem helping out.

ßill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Grim6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing