Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the HP is on my old car? I was looking in the owner's manual but it was not listed anywhere, even in the back where it has all the specifications. It's the LX model, no turbo or anything. I'm interested in how the HP in my old 12-year-old car compares to the 160hp in the new Mazda6 I ordered.

Also - my old car is a 2.4 liter 4-cylinder (automatic). The Mazda6 is a 2.3 liter (automatic also). What does this mean?

Yes - I'm a car dummy. :D

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: 1991 Mazda MX-6

Your car probably had a 2.2l engine making 110hp. It weighed 2650lbs, perhaps 2700lbs due to the automatic.

Your '6 will weigh over 3100lbs, so while you're making 160hp, it'll feel like less.

To pull the added weight the same speed as your MX-6, you'd need about 130hp. That leaves 30hp adjusted gain.

However, I'd be willing to bet your old engine made over 110ft-lbs of torque (couldn't find the data); whereas the '6 makes 155ft-lbs of torque. Adjusted, the torque difference is probably only 10-20ft-lbs.

So the difference will definately be there, but not as great as the horsepower difference would lead you to believe.

-Stretch (who came from a 103hp Celica AT that felt nearly as fast)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Replying to Topic '1991 Mazda MX-6'

Originally posted by stretchsje

Your car probably had a 2.2l engine making 110hp.  It weighed 2650lbs, perhaps 2700lbs due to the automatic.

Your '6 will weigh over 3100lbs, so while you're making 160hp, it'll feel like less.

To pull the added weight the same speed as your MX-6, you'd need about 130hp.  That leaves 30hp adjusted gain.

However, I'd be willing to bet your old engine made over 110ft-lbs of torque (couldn't find the data); whereas the '6 makes 155ft-lbs of torque.  Adjusted, the torque difference is probably only 10-20ft-lbs.

So the difference will definately be there, but not as great as the horsepower difference would lead you to believe.

-Stretch (who came from a 103hp Celica AT that felt nearly as fast)[/b]
Yes, you're right that the MX-6 has 110hp. As for the torque, the MX-6 has 130ft-lbs of torque and, according to places I've visited, it does 0-60 in a respectable 7.8 seconds (approximately, with a 5-spd manual of course).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Replying to Topic '1991 Mazda MX-6'

Yep, the old but very reliable Mazda 2.2l sohc inline 4 cylindar!

Here are two great forums where you can find plenty more information if your interested:

www.mx6.com
www.probetalk.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
iggypop
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing