Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd throw up a build thread for my new toy here since there seemed to be some interest when I posted that I picked it up. The starting point is a rust free 1971 Datsun 510 2 door with plans to build her up in a 70s or 80s style with a hopped up L16 and eventually a L20b with a period 5 speed. No forced induction, no fuel injection, and as many period parts as I can find. It's 100% stock atm but wont be for much longer ;) Picked up my first aftermarket part today a Edelbrock intake manifold from the late 70s unused and still in the box! Score!

Time for some pics.

A picture of both my babies

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not gonna lie, while it's not my color and looks like a brick on wheels, I would ride the hell out of it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<---very jealous.

please keep everything to period. They are such a rare gem it would be horrible to waste.
Don't worry that's the plan, I'm not hacking it up at all they're just too hard to find especially in atlantic Canada. This is actually the only one I've ever seen around. I'm leaning towards not even swapping for a bigger period engine anymore and just building up the stock motor with period parts.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
if it was mine, an FJ20 would be the only option..... well maybe a L28ET, but I'm dying for an FJ right now. it is what i really want the wife to do in her S13..... I have this feeling it is going to end up RB which I won't loose any sleep over, but FJ's are just so awesome.

Given that you want to stay carbed however those options are far more difficult to accomplish. I have seen some bad ass L16s, but they are just not my thing.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if it was mine, an FJ20 would be the only option..... well maybe a L28ET, but I'm dying for an FJ right now. it is what i really want the wife to do in her S13..... I have this feeling it is going to end up RB which I won't loose any sleep over, but FJ's are just so awesome.

Given that you want to stay carbed however those options are far more difficult to accomplish. I have seen some bad ass L16s, but they are just not my thing.
Funny you mentioned L series motors, My dad actually had a 510 back in the day and had a L24 in his. He said the thing was shoe horned in so bad he had to unbolt one of the engine mounts and jack up the motor everytime he wanted to change the oil. Definitely too much work for me haha. And bud of mine has a S13 with a RB25 and that thing will go but a FJ would be pretty sweet too.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
First aftermarket part of the build arrived today. A unused still in the vacuum sealed bag Edelbrock intake from the late 70s with all the manuals and even the original warranty card. Going to throw a 350cfm holly on it and slap her on once I grab a cam, pistons, and more performance oriented head.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found myself a vintage pair of aluminum slots! I posted a wanted add in the local classifieds and ended up finding some just down the road in the attic of a guys garage. Along with enough 240z parts to basically build a whole new car.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to work on fixing up the rims today. Started out wet sanding with a 220 grit and went up to a 800 since it was the finest I had laying around. Eventually hit it with some polishing compound and a buffing wheel and am pretty happy with the result. It looks alot nicer in person :p
The worst of the four all finished next to one I haven't started yet.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
looks really good! so much nicer to polish smooth metal with not many nooks and crannies. only 3 to go... =)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kinda like the mirror hubcaps and whitewalls but those rims look interesting. how much bigger are they compared to the steelies?
I do aswell, it's just a shame that they're tiny. The stock rims with hubcaps are 13x4 I believe, the slots are 14x6

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bye bye 3 speed auto hello 5 speed manual! Found a 5 speed out of a 280z and took her home for $100, after the first quick lookover looks like it doesn't even need a rebuild! Hopefully will be able to grab everything else I need for the manual swap soon and all together shouldn't cost me too much!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm not going to lie, I'm jelly. I've always wanted a 510.

Great looking car, and the build is coming along quite well!

Kudos!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not going to lie, I'm jelly. I've always wanted a 510.

Great looking car, and the build is coming along quite well!

Kudos!
Thanks for the kind words, I've been looking for a very long time before this one popped up, and I couldn't be happier with it!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ordered a clutch master cylinder today and found a vintage set of AE flat top pistons, I'm hoping to get the rest of the stuff for my manual swap in the next few weeks. In other news after fighting with the city for over 5 years it looks like we might finally be able to build a garage! Looking at a 20' x 24', We'll find out on the 2nd if we're alowed! Fingers are crossed!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You know you're getting JDM parts when this is extra packaging in the box! Still waiting on my slave cylinder and pistons to get here and final word on the garage will be dealt in the morning, so for now I get to hurry up and wait. Started looking at tires and have settled for some 215 60 14 drag radials in the rear and some 165 65 14s up front. I forgot how cheap small tires are looks like a pair will be under $250 lol

1 - 20 of 74 Posts