Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, sadly my Speed6 is gone after 13 years of incredible driving ?, I was fortunate to come upon a used 2017 6GT 6 speed manual with only 31 000 km. and what seems to be a clean CarFax (well as valid as it may be...) at a nearby Mazda dealer in Montreal. The car came with the original 19” wheels mounted with winter tires (with really not much wear) and no summer tires.

I have a set of 18“ RX8 wheels which was my summer set up on the Speed, question I would like to ask and get your learned opinion(s) is, should I purchase a set of 225 45 19’s summer tires to replace the winters on the original mags and then get another set of 19“ mags (or maybe steel rims) for next winter or... purchase a set off 225 50 18’s and have them mounted on the RX8 wheels and use those as my summer set up ?

I did put the RX8 wheels against the car and I must say it looks like a good match to me...

Thanking you for any advices and/or suggestions !
Best regards.
Louis.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would say, yes, keep the 19" rims for the summer tires and put the snows on the 18" rims. I did the same thing, though my 18" rims are from a Mazdaspeed3 (I think).

The 245/45R19 tire size is expensive and not especially common and it will be easier to find summer tires than snows. Plus, I agree with the idea that you want a higher profile and possibly skinnier snow tire, especially if you're regularly driving in real snow. The 18" allows a slightly higher sidewall.

I don't know how snowy it is in Montreal - do you get lake effect snow like Buffalo? If so, consider 17" rims. Or AWD/4WD.

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
I'd also throw on a good set of 3-season tires on the 19"s, and a good set of winter tires on the 18"s.

Or... I probably would sell the OEM 19"s, throw on a good set of 3-seasons on the 18"s, and use the $$$ from the sale of the 19"s to buy a set of 17" winter tires and a cheap set of steelies or used alloys. If roads in Montreal are as bad as they get here in the winter, then 17"s would be a better and safer bet with the taller sidewall...

·
Super Moderator
17,219 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about the speed, but hopefully the 3rd gen will fill the void a bit.

I'm with GreyGhost on this one - I run dedicated winters on 17s and then summers on 20s and I love the setup. The 17s can take a beating while the roads are garbage, and the 20s look awesome for the better weather. It's definitely worth having a bit more rubber to take the beating during the winter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 14 GT. I have Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 summer tires on the factory 19” rims.

For the winter I went minus 1 sizing from the Sport sized 17’s. YES, 16” rims for the winter tires fit absolutely fine with no clearance issues. Buffalo New York potholes can be devastating and the extra sidewall is nice insurance. Yokohama IceGuard IG52. Tires and rims from tire rack mounted and shipped was cheaper than just the crappy OEM Dunlop all seasons.

·
Registered
992 Posts
OEM Mazda 16" wheels fit. They are 16 x 6.5. You want gnarly traction for Montreal's incredible amount of snow... go with top-choice Nokian Tyre Hakapeliitta R3's... 205/65 R16... They have a higher load rating than stock. They are R speed rated if memory serves (which is low for sure) but excellent load-rated (I think 99). Picture attached, of what the car would look like with these specific Mazda 16" rims / tires. All "go" / no "show".

Kal Tire (here in Western Canada) have them; not sure if Kal Tire has outlets in PQ.

I suspect you'll miss the AWD of your Speed6.

For better yet, get same-sized Hakka's in factory-studded version. Though snow removal services in Montreal are great - the city REALLY can get a lot of snow.

Finally, you should tell us your impressions of the ultra-rare '17 6GT with 6MT... only was avail. in Canada...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greetings all, a big thank you for all your good advices and recommendations, latest development: when I traded in my Speed6 for the GT in January, it had 17 in. Mazda 6 mags and winter tires installed and I explained that the tires in the original 18 in. mags were totally worn out even dangerous to dive with and that I preferred to hand in the car with safe winter tires. Then salesperson said it was ok, now he called back and asked to have the original mags (guess it make selling the car easier with the original mags) and would give me back the 17 in. ones.

So I’ll be getting the 17 in. mags for a new set of winter tires for next fall (since the currently installed are 215 50 17) and I am currently shopping for summers to install on the 19 in. GT mags. Canadian Tire currently has a sale on both the Continental DWS06 and the Pirelli PZero All Season Plus at just over 850$ plus taxes, they also got the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 for 780$ plus taxes, decisions, decisions !!

Now for the driving, so far I must say I have not really done much driving due to the current situation. My employer has us all working from home and I obey our government’s recommendation to only go out and drive when absolutely needed, fortunatly, I live within walking distance from the grocery store and the pharmacy.

For the little driving I have done I can say the the manual gearbox is quite pleasing to handle, not as good as the Speed’s on which I had installed the short throw, but still quite good with precise guiding and an nice solid feel. The other thing which really does not allow me go get a real good feeling off the car’s handling potential are the winter tires. Though as I did mention in the original post they they were looking fairly new Kapsen Snowshoes AW33 tires, which in my opinion (please note this is my opinion) is a lesser quality bargain brand tire and from my research costing half the price of a reputable brand winter tire.

I have driven them through one snow storm and can certainly can say that they

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oups... they did not inspire great confidence compared to the likes of Michelins or Yokohamas or Continental that I have used in the past... also a few outing driving on dry open stretch of highway had the car not really tracking strait and more like wandering requiring frequent steering corrections.

Really looking forward to installing the summer tires and putting the car through its pace !! Will certainly report as soon !!

Best regards,
Louis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just as a side note on the tires, they are Chinese made, and there is a very serious consumer television program that recently investigated these bargain price Chinese snow tires being offered on the market. Their investigation revealed that some manufacturers with questionable business ethics would have the “mountain and snow flake“ markings put on the tires at the request of the importer or distributor (also with questionable business ethics) even if it did not go through the proper winter tire homologation process with responsible authorities, buyer beware !! I am a firm believer that in most cases, “you get what you pay for”...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not a lot of snow tires work better than the Nokia Haakapelliita tires. They are outstandingly effective.
Plus, you get to say "My tires are Haaaaaaakapppeeeeeelllliiiiiiiitttaaaaa!" which is a lot of fun to say, even if it doesn't translate well in writing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts