Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at winter tire package at tirerack. Since I am on a two year lease, Don't want to speed too much.

I am thinking of going with the Dunlop M3's too (215/50/17). I thinking of getting the SportEdition D5. Would these work with Speed6?
With 17 X7 what is the minimum offset one can go with? Should I be looking for 17x7.5 wheels? (I read in the wheel tire sections that "tires should be on the widest rim possible"). If thats the case what offset is Ok for 7.5 wheels?
The stock wheels, I believe are 18x7 +55mm offset.
I was also considering Perelli Nero's to replace the stock tires. From readin the posts, I don't think both last more than 12-15K miles? Is that correct? I don't go to tracks are anything like that.

Thanks

Some of this is information scattered over the forums but I am still not clear about the offset and the tread life of both the Perelli's vs stock tires.

·
Registered
110 Posts
All the smart guys must be on vacation. Winter tires are usually narrow to avoid building up a "bow wave" of snow. So one would suggest the 17x7s. Toyo reported on another topic recommending +48mm as the excepted minimum offset. I understand the 7.5 inch with +48mm or more "should" be fine. The Mazdaspeed6 OEM is correct at 18x7 +55mm. I have heard things about the Toyo Proxes 4. Wait for further experienced folk to chime in.

Try:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=59279
"It's That Time Again..."

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...mp;hl=Keith_MS6
"OE 17's: 215/50, 225/50 and 225/45"

For the record, I'm going with 17x7 with +50mm and 225/50-17s.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
With a 215/50R17 tire, either a 17"x7" or 17"x7.5" rim should work fine. I'm using a 17"x7.5" because the slightly wider rim *should* provide slightly better sidewall control in spirited driving. Since the OEM 215mm section width is already pretty narrow, I couldn't see going any narrower for winter tires.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the smart guys must be on vacation. Winter tires are usually narrow to avoid building up a "bow wave" of snow. So one would suggest the 17x7s. Toyo reported on another topic recommending +48mm as the excepted minimum offset. I understand the 7.5 inch with +48mm or more "should" be fine. The Mazdaspeed6 OEM is correct at 18x7 +55mm. I have heard things about the Toyo Proxes 4. Wait for further experienced folk to chime in.

Try:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=59279
"It's That Time Again..."

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...mp;hl=Keith_MS6
"OE 17's: 215/50, 225/50 and 225/45"
For the record, I'm going with 17x7 with +50mm and 225/50-17s.
[/b]
Thanks Keith_MS6,

Yeah I was looking for something around + 50 but could not find a proper wheel. I am not an ebay shopper and went to Discount tire and their matching guide mentioned 17x7 +42 would work with 215/50-17's on speed6. With 7.5's I was wondering about rubbing.

Can someone please confirm if its reasonable or I should back out and get rims with more offset. I have put a hold on these. I shall ask him if he has anything in +48 too. I read through a bunch of posts and now all the numbers are circling in my head.

JD42. Thanks to you too. I Wouldn't go any lower and since I am on a lease didn't wont to try 225 but people seem to be fine with it with no rubbing. There's a thread floating around that too.

To wrap up, I have narrowed donw to 17x7 with 215/50-17 Dunlops. The question is the offset. +42 is Way bad?? Should I try real hard to Get +48's or higher?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
To wrap up, I have narrowed donw to 17x7 with 215/50-17 Dunlops. The question is the offset. +42 is Way bad?? Should I try real hard to Get +48's or higher?
[/b]
The 42mm offset would probably work, but I expect you will probably need the rear fenders rolled to prevent rubbing. If you can get rims with a 48mm offset, most likely you can avoid getting the fenders rolled.

My 17"x7.5" rims have a 45mm offset. I haven't experienced any fender rubbing yet, but I also haven't had any weight in the back of the car since installing the winter rims/tires.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 2 cents:

Wheel: Kazera KZ-V - 17x7, 50mm offset, ~17 pounds, $135; OR Kosei K1 TS - 17x7, 50mm offset, ~13.7 pounds, $189. It's for winter, don't need 7.5 width. Finally, the Rota Subzero which is what ms6_zoom has. Nice wheel for the money. Right now you can have any color Subzero you want, as long it's black.

Tire: You pick, 215/50-17. It's for winter, right?
Tirerack will mount, balance and ship to you garage.

Low risk.

I pulled the trigger on my package. Going to 225/50-17. Apparently this size is pushing the envelope. Especially since the Yokohama AVID V4S runs a bit tall. I haven't seen any one running this size. I'll know this weekend.

Keith_MS6

You might a PM to the smart guys.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
With a 215/50R17 tire, either a 17"x7" or 17"x7.5" rim should work fine. I'm using a 17"x7.5" because the slightly wider rim *should* provide slightly better sidewall control in spirited driving. Since the OEM 215mm section width is already pretty narrow, I couldn't see going any narrower for winter tires.
[/b]
As Keith_MS6 wrote, the "book answer" is for narrower tires for winter, though I'm not sure I understand his analogy to a bow wave. The size of a the contact patch will be the same for a wide tire as for a narrow tire, but the shape will be different: the narrow tire's footprint will be longer front-to-back, while the wide tire's footprint will be wider side-to-side. Returning to the "bow wave" analogy Keith_MS6 started, just as a canoe slices through the water when its skinny dimension is in the direction of movenment, when plowing through snow, it is helpful to have the footprint more longitudinal. Going to a wider tire is like trying to move the canoe through the water sideways.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As Keith_MS6 wrote, the "book answer" is for narrower tires for winter, though I'm not sure I understand his analogy to a bow wave. The size of a the contact patch will be the same for a wide tire as for a narrow tire, but the shape will be different: the narrow tire's footprint will be longer front-to-back, while the wide tire's footprint will be wider side-to-side. Returning to the "bow wave" analogy Keith_MS6 started, just as a canoe slices through the water when its skinny dimension is in the direction of movenment, when plowing through snow, it is helpful to have the footprint more longitudinal. Going to a wider tire is like trying to move the canoe through the water sideways.
[/b]
Thanks you all and Keith_MS6. I shall be pulling the plug soon.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,540 Posts
I pulled the trigger on my package. Going to 225/50-17. Apparently this size is pushing the envelope. Especially since the Yokohama AVID V4S runs a bit tall. I haven't seen any one running this size. I'll know this weekend.
[/b]
Yes, please let us know how the 225s work. I'm considering the 225/50s Yoko AVID V4S for my replacement 17" next spring.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, please let us know how the 225s work. I'm considering the 225/50s Yoko AVID V4S for my replacement 17" next spring.
[/b]
Absolutely. Snapdog was considering this size in Jan-06, but I have not heard the results.

I ordered the package yesterday afternoon from Tirerack. They shipped already. Pretty darn fast, as long as they shipped the right stuff.

More to follow, probably under a separate topic title.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts