Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have lured my parents to buy a 6.. Or... Well they like it and hopfully they buy one..
:D

If im very very lucky we might even get a 2.3... Probebly the hatchback, maybe the estate.

Well - to the real issue.

In Sweden at least, the 2.3 comes standard with 17" alloys. The thing is that I'm having trouble seeing the difference between 16" and 17". Are the 17" the chubby 5-spokes one the yellow hatch (the one in the "MazdaAtenza.com Forums" logo); or is it the normal 5-spokes one all the other pictures? Couse I like the ones on the yellow hatch better :D.

More things I wonder about the car:
- is the sideskirts standard on the 2.3? It isn't listed on mazda.se's equipment list.
- does it have dual pipes?
- is it only the hatch that have them visible - is that standard?
- does the Bose system have a casetteplayer?
- Is the body-colored grille standard on the 2.3?
- Is it available on the 4D? Have only seen it on the red estate and "the yellow one".

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

Originally posted by Blackbird

Hi!

I have lured my parents to buy a 6.. Or... Well they like it and hopfully they buy one..  

If im very very lucky we might even get a 2.3... Probebly the hatchback, maybe the estate.  

Well - to the real issue.

In Sweden at least, the 2.3 comes standard with 17" alloys. The thing is that I'm having trouble seeing the difference between 16" and 17". Are the 17" the chubby 5-spokes one the yellow hatch (the one in the "MazdaAtenza.com Forums" logo); or is it the normal 5-spokes one all the other pictures? Couse I like the ones on the yellow hatch better :D.

More things I wonder about the car:
- is the sideskirts standard on the 2.3? It isn't listed on mazda.se's equipment list.
- does it have dual pipes?  
- is it only the hatch that have them visible - is that standard?
- does the Bose system have a casetteplayer?
- Is the body-colored grille standard on the 2.3?
- Is it available on the 4D? Have only seen it on the red estate and "the yellow one".[/b]
Hi.

I'm from Sweden also, and I have ordered a 6. (Lucky me!)

Can't tell about the alloys for sure. Anyway, sideskirts are standard on the sports model (2.3) as far as I can understand. All models have dual pipes, and they are visible on all models, but there is a pipe enlarger that is optional. The Bose system can have a cassette player, but it is a modular system. Your choise. Body-colored grille comes with the sports models as standard. You can have it on any of the bodies.

/Steve

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

Wow, a Swedish invasion! Welcome aboard Blackbird! How old are you? I hope your parents follow through and get the 6. Will that be for them or for you? I don't think many of the pictures around show the 16" wheels. If you see them you'll notice that they have a higher profile tire than the 17" wheels.
By the way, are you guys both native Swedes? I ask because you both have excellent English writing skills. Sadly better than many who grew up speaking it. :( :(

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic '17'

Hmm :)

Sorry to say, im 20. :)

But I haven't had the mental power to take a driving license yet... But now I have started, and as I see it, I will not have the money to move from home in a while, so I think that I might see to that they buy a good car that I can borrow :D

My father first said that we might get a Volvo S40 2.0T. That car costs, with NO equipment at all (no alllys, no stereo, no interior selected.. nada) 194.900 SEK (crowns). The 6 I want costs 218.500 - 20 000 SEK more expencive. But.. Then you get a 2.3 Sport hatch with anti-spin, DSC, ACC, BOSE 8 speaker stereo, wing, Xenon, 17" allys and more. A Volvo S40T with almost the same equipment (16" ugly alloys, sportchassie with automatic hightadjustment - otherwise much the same as the 6) costs 278.025SEK!!!!
I love Volvo but HEY! Almost 280 000 SEK for a 4D small-size sedan!!!! The Mazda have the most bang-for-the-bucks for sure!

Love it!

- When will the 5D and estate come to Sweden?

Edit: Yes I live in Sweden and have always done... or no.. Adopted from India... but well.. you get the idea.. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

The 16 and 17 look almost the same, but the 16 is uhm.....how should I call it?... "flatter"?. I'll show you a picture of a 6 sedan with 16 (or it's 15, but these almost no difference) and a red 6 SportBreak with 17"

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replying to Topic '17'

OK... f**ck - then the neat ones on the yellow car will cost like 1000$ extra or something! :(

The 16" looked very tiny... :( Well.. Thanks for the info anyway! :hoho

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

Originally posted by kenoka

By the way, are you guys both native Swedes?  I ask because you both have excellent English writing skills.  Sadly better than many who grew up speaking it. :( :([/b]
Thanks.

Yes, despite my somewhat english-sounding name, I am also very much a native swede. My name is (it's a sad story) a result of my mother's love for the american actor Steve McQueen in the sixties... <sigh>

The fact that we have mastered the english language at least a bit is probably due to our long education in your language. English lessons start in the third grade, or at least they did when I went to school. So including high school and university I have studied english for...well...13 years. Explains a bit, doesn't it?

Anyway, there's quite some work still for me to get it perfect. But as they say: practice makes perfect.

Regards,

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

Originally posted by Blackbird

- When will the 5D and estate come to Sweden?

Edit: Yes I live in Sweden and have always done... or no.. Adopted from India... but well.. you get the idea.. :)[/b]

The 5D and estate has already come to Sweden. You can order them today, but you won't receive it until later this year. I have ordered a 5D hatch, and I have been promised to get it in october...

They say that if you're waiting for something good, you can't wait too long. Oh, they're so wrong...

/Steve

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

Steve, you should change your nickname to "Bullitt"! :D :p :D
Seriously, why is it sad that your mom loved Steve McQueen? He was a badass.
Blackbird, if you mean the thick six-spoke wheels, they're probably saving that one for the MazdaSpeed.
Once again I must commend you both for your command of the English language, especially you Steve. With your American sounding name I seriously thought you were a Yank abroad! Reading the incredibly poor grammar and spelling that is demonstrated in many bulletin boards just makes me ashamed of our entire educational system. Then you have punks who revel in being ignorant and make their inability to use their own language into an elitist group; excuse me an l33tist group. :sarc
It disgusts me that someone born in another country has spent more time in study of my language than my fellow Americans. Ugh, I guess I slipped into rant mode and didn't notice it. :hoho Just ignore me people, I'll just slip into a corner and grumble to myself.

***grumble mumble hell in a handbasket mmmble grrr ignoramuses***

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

Steve, you should change your nickname to "Bullitt"! :D :p :D  
Seriously, why is it sad that your mom loved Steve McQueen?  He was a badass.  
Blackbird, if you mean the thick six-spoke wheels, they're probably saving that one for the MazdaSpeed.  
Once again I must commend you both for your command of the English language, especially you Steve.  With your American sounding name I seriously thought you were a Yank abroad!  Reading the incredibly poor grammar and spelling that is demonstrated in many bulletin boards just makes me ashamed of our entire educational system.  Then you have punks who revel in being ignorant and make their inability to use their own language into an elitist group; excuse me an l33tist group.  :sarc  
It disgusts me that someone born in another country has spent more time in study of my language than my fellow Americans.  Ugh, I guess I slipped into rant mode and didn't notice it. :hoho Just ignore me people, I'll just slip into a corner and grumble to myself.

***grumble mumble hell in a handbasket mmmble grrr ignoramuses***
:D[/b]
LOL. Well, just let me tell you: a drive in a brand new Mazda6 cures everything. Well, almost. Don't know for sure about cancer. But I'm darn sure it cures that too.

Thanks again for the compliments on my english. Didn't wish to put you into that rant mode, but I guess I can't help it either. Does it make you less sad if I tell you that I was among the top students in the english class??

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replying to Topic '17'

Well I must also thank you for the english comments! As Steve said - we get a lot of english education in school. Starting in... I think 4th grade (~10 years old). I must also agree that it really sounds that Steve is american! Although I can see that it must be a little strange to be namned Steve in Sweden. Pretty cool though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

Kenoka,
I will try to redeem American's as capable of stringing together the occasional coherent sentense with gud spelling. I've bean speeking English (oar as I like to call it Amerrricn) since I could talk. I even went to publick skool two. ;-)

You've just got to realize that in a country where half the population probably couldn't identify their city on a map of the nation, you can't have your hopes up too high. Just wait until the public school system gets gutted with Dubya's voucher system....I cringe for the future.

Oh well...on the positive side, at least the rest of the world speaks English because it sure is not going to happen that American's bother to learn foreign tongues. So all you Europeans and everyone else out there...thanks for putting up with us even though we annoy you to no end. And probably couldn't find your country on a globe.

MM--i'll see about starting a Pacific Northwest 6 Appreciation Club when the dang cars finally come out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

and of course i made a typo in my last post:

Americans are not going to learn foreign language. Of course, not "American's"

I guess I just made Kenoka's case!!

Off to study Strunk and White again.

MM

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

Okay, it's time someone stood up to defend the americans. I might just as well do it, I'm a Swede!

I don't think it's as bad as you describe. What you have to remember is that the language is a living thing. It evolves constantly. The people defending it against these changes will always in the light of the history seem backwards-striving.

Just think about how people spoke as little as a hundred years ago. They would be horrified if they could hear us now!

Actually I saw that only seven percent of the american youth could point out USA on a map. That was of course bad, but probably mostly a case of that USA has been quite Introvert so to say. What goes on outside the nations boarders is only interesting in US media if it effects USA. It's kind of an unintended censorship, actually.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of America, and I live in Sweden which is by many americans considered to be more american than USA itself. We have a very similar culture, we see the same TV as you do. We laugh at Seinfeld and Jay Leno, we praise Bartlett in his West Wing, we eat McDonalds burgers, we drive a lot of cars, we have great roads (free, though).

You really have to come here and see it to understand.

I've been to the US, and I felt just like home.

Although some of you spoke quite a strange english, I must admit. Have to be something in the educational system. But then again, such a comment would only be remembered in history as stupid. Wouldn't it?

/Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

As a disclaimer, I must say that I've never been to Sweden, met a Swede, or known of a Swede. I had no idea that Swedes even watched Jay Leno. I might be an anomaly of some sort, but I don't even watch Jay Leno (never have). What I find surprising about English right now, is that not only can citizens of foreign countries speak the language with surprisingly good grammar and syntax, but that they can use the language casually in a form of slang that definitately sounds American. Impressive!

I think Americans will continue in their isolationist culture for a while - that's probably not changing anytime soon. I guess they really believe that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Now I'm certaintly one to believe that the educational system in America (especially where I'm from in Texas) needs a lot of improvement. And while I'm still dubious on whether the voucher system would instill a sense of competition between schools and apply the necessary push towards improvement as the advocates of the voucher system say it will, I do think that something needs to be done. But what?

Ok, I feel like I've gone completely off-topic. Forgive me...:-(

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

Still OT, but what the heck:

Here in Sweden, we have the same kind of debate you guys have. "We need to do somethin' 'bout our educational system". "Kids of today ain't as good as..." and "It used to be a lot better..."

You feel just like home? Well, it gets even better.

We're presently discussing the introduction of a (hold your hats, ladies and gentlemen) voucher system. Very unique, indeed. Some say it will improve the system and increase competition and thus the students will benefit from a better education. Others say it's not that simple - it will drain resources and scatter them while it would be better to put all resources in the same place (that is: the public schools).

There's nothing new under the sun.

And as far as TV-shows go: I only watch Jay Leno on occation. But I do see West Wing, a well-played and interesting series. Presently I also watch a re-run of "V", and I follow "Stargate" (a huge Sci-Fi fan here!!).

Okay people. Anyone who still remember the topic of this thread? Damn if I do!!

/Steve

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

Wstar-Steve's command of American idiom was one of the things I was most impressed by. Most people who learn a second language have a very difficult time leaving the formal book use of the language unless they actually get immersed in the culture. Were you a foreign exchange student Steve? You mentioned that you have been over here; for how long?

Steve-I love sci-fi too! As far as your educational system goes, it is demonstrably better than ours. One third of our population is functionally illiterate. Out of the other two thirds, the majority of them have a fourth grade reading level (see our newspapers). Our school systems don't even teach proper spelling and grammar anymore because we don't want anyone to feel bad about themselves. Apparently it's better to graduate them with no writing skills than to make them feel bad. :sarc
If you frequent a fair number of bulletin boards then you will see the end results of our low standards. People who cannot distinguish between "their" "they're" and "there", or between "it's" and "its" or "to" "too" and "two".

What WERE we talking about? Oh yeah, wheels! Uh, Blackbird your parents will probably not be willing to shell out another $1000 on cool wheels so just wait until you get the car as a hand-me-down and upgrade then. :D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic '17'

Wstar-Steve's command of American idiom was one of the things I was most impressed by.  Most people who learn a second language have a very difficult time leaving the formal book use of the language unless they actually get immersed in the culture.  Were you a foreign exchange student Steve?  You mentioned that you have been over here; for how long?  

Steve-I love sci-fi too!  As far as your educational system goes, it is demonstrably better than ours.  One third of our population is functionally illiterate.  Out of the other two thirds, the majority of them have a fourth grade reading level (see our newspapers).  Our school systems don't even teach proper spelling and grammar anymore because we don't want anyone to feel bad about themselves.  Apparently it's better to graduate them with no writing skills than to make them feel bad. :sarc  
If you frequent a fair number of bulletin boards then you will see the end results of our low standards.  People who cannot distinguish between "their" "they're" and "there", or between "it's" and "its" or "to" "too" and "two".  

What WERE we talking about?  Oh yeah, wheels!  Uh, Blackbird your parents will probably not be willing to shell out another $1000 on cool wheels so just wait until you get the car as a hand-me-down and upgrade then. :D  [/b]
No, I wasn't an exchange student. And even though I've been to USA, it was for a mere four weeks of holiday. Two years ago, I might add. But it was a great time, I got to see New York, Washington and spend the better half of the time in Orlando.

Quite frankly, I think I could settle down in your country and feel just like home anytime. Not merely because I manage the language fairly well, but rather because our culture is so much alike. This means I don't have to learn a new way to think - we share exactly the same basic ways. The only really big differece is that you are Christian based on the catholic church, and we are (thanks to Luther) protestants.

Anyway, even though you don't speak swedish - you might try out Sweden. Practically everyone here (and I mean EVERYONE) speak english. So you'll have no problem getting around...

And getting back on the topic: I agree with you. It's smarter to lure the parents into buying the car first. Then lure them to buy the bigger alloys. The cake might be too much for them otherwise...wouldn't like them to choke, would we now?

Take care, ppl!

/Steve

1 - 20 of 35 Posts