Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody notice a difference in ride quality, handling, tracking, hydro planing between the sport and other 6's? I have the 19's and unfortunately it tracks every groove in the road and hydro planes pretty badly. Not to mention a stiffer ride than I'd like. I haven't tried 17's with this vehicle so don't know if there's an appreciable difference to change. I'm not sure why the auto industry has gone in this direction. Popular demand because they look good and possibly corner better? Any input appreciated. Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,503 Posts
The smaller wheels can make an improvement, but I'd also consider the tires, they can make a huge difference with tracking and hydroplaning also.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm not sure why the auto industry has gone in this direction. Popular demand because they look good and possibly corner better? Any input appreciated. Thanks!
Popularity (aka customer demand) based on appearance. The 19” wheels do not handle better.

·
Registered
'16 M6, 2.5L, ATX
57 Posts
I've driven 1000 kilometers in snow on 19" (summer tires) and for the rest of the Winter 17" (winter tires) was installed. A few weeks ago I changed it back, didn't noticed any difference at all on highways, maybe a bit stiffer on the countryside, but not annoying.

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
it's more likely than not that you're actually feeling the (horrible) electric steering more than anything. It makes minor adjustments when in snow/rain that can make you feel like you're not in full control of the vehicle because it makes you overcorrect. It's one of the very few things I cannot stand about this car.

·
Registered
Mazda 6s 2007
7 Posts
Anybody notice a difference in ride quality, handling, tracking, hydro planing between the sport and other 6's? I have the 19's and unfortunately it tracks every groove in the road and hydro planes pretty badly. Not to mention a stiffer ride than I'd like. I haven't tried 17's with this vehicle so don't know if there's an appreciable difference to change. I'm not sure why the auto industry has gone in this direction. Popular demand because they look good and possibly corner better? Any input appreciated. Thanks!
iissue.i dont k
I dont know if your talking about the first gen mazda 6 or 3rd generation but for me i have the first generation and that car handles like a monster and bigger wheels isnt better for handling its actually better if you dont mess with the diameter of the wheels of the car because say you get the car with 17 inch its better to keep the wheels like that but instead of focusing on the diameter of the wheels get wider rims say from 215 to 225. Those can improve handling much better. Also i almost forgot that moving from 17 inch to much bigger diameter rims Can slower the car and causes false reading on the instrument guage but not noticeable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts