Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone

I have a set of the RX7 16x8 wheels which I plan to use as my primary wheels next season. The only real decision left is what size tire would be best. Here is what I'm debating:

225/50-16 -> This is the same sized tire that I have on my rear staggered setup right now. I would like the tire to be wider than but I like that the tire fits well on an 8" wide wheel. Preferred tire for this size is the Hankook Ventus RS-2.

235/50-16 -> This tire size seems to fit the wheel rather well since the widest wheel it can be mounted on is an 8.5" wheel. The only thing about this size is that there isn't many tires available in this size. Preferred tire for this size is the Toyo T1-R.

245/50-16 -> This is the size I'm considering but I'm not sure if the extra sidewall is going to affect performance. But the larger sidewall means less fender gap. This tire like the previous too is rated to fit on a maximum wheel with a width of 8.5" so it should have some decent tire geometery. Preferred tire for this size is the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

245/45-16 -> This is the other size I have for my staggered setup. The only reason I'm worried about this size for all summer use, is the lowered ground clearance. I have the GT-SPEC 6pt ladder brace underneath the car, and well as it is right now it's about 4" from the road surface, and has been known to rub if I'm not extremely careful. Also with the smaller sidewall the fender gap will be more, and thus drive me nuts causing me to lower the car further (D2 coilovers). Also this tire size is just under the minimum safe overall diameter for the car, although I'm not sure it will make much of a difference since I have races on these tires without any issues. Preferred tire for this size is the Hankook Ventus RS-2.

Let me know what you think?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts