Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I believe the the smallest rims that can fit are 17's due to brake clearance.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Shop Tirerack. They'll have winter package specs. I do believe that 17's are the minimum fitment, though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The smallest rim you will be able to put on will be 17s, the MS6 rotors measure 12.6 inches in front, 12.4 inches in back. Your rotors are about 0.8 and 1.0 to big for 16s. The non MS6 have rotors measuring 11.8 in front and 11.0 in the rear. Get some 17s and go with a wider tire if possible.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The smallest rim you will be able to put on will be 17s, the MS6 rotors measure 12.6 inches in front, 12.4 inches in back. Your rotors are about 0.8 and 1.0 to big for 16s. The non MS6 have rotors measuring 11.8 in front and 11.0 in the rear. Get some 17s and go with a wider tire if possible.
[/b]
Skinny tires would actually be better in the snow. Get some pizza cutters for your 6.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
yeah the skinnier tire for winter the better

·
Registered
595 Posts
while everyone here is correct that skinnier tires are better for the snow - I would have to ask where you live and how much snow you get. I live in St. Louis, MO. Gets pretty cold, here but not that much snow. I am mounting some snow tires on my stock rims, but I am going to go with the stock 215 width because for most of the winter, we dont get snow. We do get alot of freezeing rain though - so lots of ice. Much of the winter is just the cold temps, in which the stock summer tires would be hard as a rock and useless even without any snow/ice/rain on the ground - so I am going with a winter tire that is more performance oriented and still has the speed capability I will need for highspeed driving.

If you do drive in snow 3+ days a week throughout the winter, get some skinny 17's. But you have to remember, when there is no snow on the ground - your car will handle like a POS. Tradeoffs

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am going with a winter tire that is more performance oriented and still has the speed capability I will need for highspeed driving.

[/b]
Which performance winter tires will you get. I may have to get some and have not begun to shop.
Leadogg

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in Detroit, which the cold is worse than the snow. (especially for my commute) We occasionally get a bad storm, and sometimes the main roads have a thin layer but rarely anything terrible. My goal is just to get through the winter, I do not need to have high performance or anything like that throughout the winter. I think I may end up being happy with a set of all-seasons on some 17's as I really don't want to drop $134/piece for a nice set of Blizzaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts