Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all this is my first post.

I picked up a Mazda 6 for good money but I'm starting to worry. The gearbox is very clunky going from first to second and a little notchy going up into third.

It's fine when you go down the box it's just up wear it grinds into second if cold it seems.
The car will be getting its very expensive 75000 mile service at the end of the month and I understand the gearbox oil gets changed.

I thought it would mean the syncromeshs had gone but I'm starting to here stories about how the gearbox and clutch is faulty an this could happen with only 20000 on the clock.

Can anyone shead light on this before I book the car in for new syncromeshs and it doesn't fix anything.

I'm based near Sheffield if someone can suggest anything.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The 1st to 2nd change being clunky is very common when cold, a change of gear oil to a good quility one will help, going to change mine very soon as my old car which was a mazda had the same problem and the oil change worked wonders.
The one thing i would get checked out is the oil strainer pick up in the sump, these have been know to block up, then starve the crank and turbo of oil.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have also bought a diesel mazda 6 recently and have this issue: when cold outside I have problems going from 1st to 2nd gear (and 3rd to 2nd), is very clunky, feels like hanging something; I can also feel it when going 2nd to 3rd, but less. If I use the car for 30-40 mins it gets better, after one hour the problem goes away.
The car has 120k km (about 75k miles) on board so I'll take it for the big maintenance service (timing) and will also add a gearbox oil change. In the manual it says it should've been performed at 100k, but I know the former owner didn't change this oil.

Would anybody recommend going for a different gearbox oil than Mazda's usual?

·
Registered
2 Posts
just as an update, I have changed the gearbox oil this weekend, no changes when going 1->2 or 3->2 .. might be the syncro's in my case..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all this is my first post.

I picked up a Mazda 6 for good money but I'm starting to worry. The gearbox is very clunky going from first to second and a little notchy going up into third.

It's fine when you go down the box it's just up wear it grinds into second if cold it seems.
The car will be getting its very expensive 75000 mile service at the end of the month and I understand the gearbox oil gets changed.

I thought it would mean the syncromeshs had gone but I'm starting to here stories about how the gearbox and clutch is faulty an this could happen with only 20000 on the clock.

Can anyone shead light on this before I book the car in for new syncromeshs and it doesn't fix anything.

I'm based near Sheffield if someone can suggest anything.
Hi All,

I too seem to have this exact problem at 78000mls. Anyone have an update as to whether it is a syncromesh issue?

Andy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts