Mazda 6 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 1308 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
It would be awesome if someone here had some connection with someone at the aftermarket companies like Pioneer or Kenwood, etc and let them know that there is a market out there for the new 6 if they can develop an aftermarket HU that would work with the commander switch and the steering wheel buttons. Can't be that hard, right? Wishful thinking?

·
Registered
742 Posts
It would never be cost effective to make a unit that soley work in the 6 and keep the commanders knob features and such. My thing is I don't like paying for something and it not work. My Bluetooth and usb has stopped working all together, going in on Tuesday for the dealer to work on it. The other day I realized my auto switch for the driver window has stopped working. And sometimes one of my door locks sounds like it's going bad. I have never owned a brand new car before and I'm surprised by all the issues I have had with this one. Of course I would probably buy it again if I had the chance.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
It would never be cost effective to make a unit that soley work in the 6 and keep the commanders knob features and such. My thing is I don't like paying for something and it not work. My Bluetooth and usb has stopped working all together, going in on Tuesday for the dealer to work on it. The other day I realized my auto switch for the driver window has stopped working. And sometimes one of my door locks sounds like it's going bad. I have never owned a brand new car before and I'm surprised by all the issues I have had with this one. Of course I would probably buy it again if I had the chance.
Strange...one of my door locks, passenger back sounds like it is going bad as well.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It would never be cost effective to make a unit that soley work in the 6 and keep the commanders knob features and such.
It wouldn't only be for one car. It could be for many A commander switch harness would be very similar to a steering wheel harness and who is to say Pioneer couldn't develop one for the 6, BMW's iDrive, or Audi's MMI?

(I understand many BMW's and Audi's make it impossible to replace a headunit today, but iDrive and MMI has been around for a while and there are tons of slightly older cars that could use it.)

All that being said I'm sure someone will come up with a hack to use steering wheel harness for the commander switch someday.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if we could see what software version our head units have?
You can! Here's how:

NOTE: You are entering a part of the head unit you are not supposed to be using. Be careful, don't click things unless you know what they do. There are a few places that allow you to RESET parts of the radio. Mode 85 allows you to READ/WRITE from the memory (don't do that unless you know exactly what you are doing and the risks involved).

Turn car on
Turn head unit ON
Press and hold power button
Press and release SEEK UP
You will now be in FAILURE ANALYSIS mode
Enter 10 and press ENTER
There are your software versions.

Mine are:
SH GHP9-UC_A25
R32 GHP9-UCRA25-AD
USB

I think USB is for satellite radio which is why mine is blank.
I have a Touring plus Tech package (Bose, Navi)

Mode "38" also has some version numbers for "HF", but I'm not sure what device this is referring to.

What are your software versions?

Just for fun:
After you read your software version, press the power button once, type 92 and press ENTER
You can now see through your backup cam even in Drive :)

EDIT: The 2015 Mazda 6 manual has these directions which also cover non-touchscreen head units:
http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/emazda/dealersystem/service/esi/en_us/SM/2015/Mazda6/p6/books/p6w09/html/id0902f6804500.html#id0902f680450009
To access this page you must DISABLE JAVASCRIPT

·
Registered
305 Posts
just signed it. Thank you.

I just wondering when Mazda will take this seriously and provide the update.
As I mentioned in another topic, the petition is a great thing, but my experience with large companies is that you're going to get much more traction if you can get even a fraction of the people who signed the petition to send an email directly to Mazda customer service. Customer Service groups log items that are getting multiple complaints, and those items are the ones that get surfaced to more senior people as issues.

Also, there's a cost involved in every customer service reply, so companies work to address issues that are causing frequent customer service contact.

So by all means, please do sign the petition. But if a bunch of you who have signed the petition also call or email customer service with specific issues, you're much more likely to trigger a response.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As I mentioned in another topic, the petition is a great thing, but my experience with large companies is that you're going to get much more traction if you can get even a fraction of the people who signed the petition to send an email directly to Mazda customer service. Customer Service groups log items that are getting multiple complaints, and those items are the ones that get surfaced to more senior people as issues.

Also, there's a cost involved in every customer service reply, so companies work to address issues that are causing frequent customer service contact.

So by all means, please do sign the petition. But if a bunch of you who have signed the petition also call or email customer service with specific issues, you're much more likely to trigger a response.

Thank you DennyA, I have just sent an email to the address. Hopefully, it can get some attention.

Those issues should be easy to fix with a software update. Anyway, looking forward to it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if we could see what software version our head units have?
You can! Here's how:

NOTE: You are entering a part of the head unit you are not supposed to be using. Be careful, don't click things unless you know what they do. There are a few places that allow you to RESET parts of the radio. Mode 85 allows you to READ/WRITE from the memory (don't do that unless you know exactly what you are doing and the risks involved).

Turn car on
Turn head unit ON
Press and hold power button
Press and release SEEK UP
You will now be in FAILURE ANALYSIS mode
Enter 10 and press ENTER
There are your software versions.

Mine are:
SH GHP9-UC_A25
R32 GHP9-UCRA25-AD
USB

I think USB is for satellite radio which is why mine is blank.
I have a Touring plus Tech package (Bose, Navi)

Mode "38" also has some version numbers for "HF", but I'm not sure what device this is referring to.

What are your software versions?

Just for fun:
After you read your software version, press the power button once, type 92 and press ENTER
You can now see through your backup cam even in Drive :)

EDIT: The 2015 Mazda 6 manual has these directions which also cover non-touchscreen head units:
http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/emazda/dealersystem/service/esi/en_us/SM/2015/Mazda6/p6/books/p6w09/html/id0902f6804500.html#id0902f680450009
To access this page you must DISABLE JAVASCRIPT
Thanks for the link. Are we able to access the rest of the manual?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #214 (Edited)
Did some thorough testing of the failure analysis system, and tried every number from 01 to 99.

I will be cross-posting this information to the main 3rd Gen Forums in a minute so people who don't subscribe to this topic can use these as well.

The results are below:

Failure Analysis Testing Codes
(WARNING, FOR TESTING ONLY. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE RESULTING FROM USING THESE CODES)

01 Red Screen
03 Test Each Speaker (Cycles automatically)
04 Radio Signal Strength
06 Maker Code
07 Check Amp
10 SW Version
14 Rotary Encoder
15 Vehicle and Navigation Check
16 Connect Info
17 Configuration Summary-- FixEQ, Emergency#, Antenna Type, Proj, Speak Type, etc
37 HF ACU connection
38 HF Soft Version
81 Software Update
83 Calibrate Screen
84 BD Address
86 Lines? (not tested, warning!)
87 Unknown?
88 Check SW Info (blank)
89 BER Test
92 Camera Test

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #215

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just FYI I just received a call from Mazda USA based on a survey/feedback form I sent in, and he just wanted to let me know that Mazda is 100% aware of this issue and they know there is a petition and on facebook, etc.

He said it is not falling on deaf ears and Mazda is currently working with the manufacturer of the Infotainment system, and is/will be working on an update.

He said it should be coming in within the next few months hopefully.

He documented all my notes, and it seems like they are finally going to do something about it. Let's just hope we don't have to wait too much longer!

He did say there is a GPS TOM TOM Update at the dealership the next time I go in that deals with the Safety Lock feature when driving, and the restrictions it has. He said that is being addressed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just FYI I just received a call from Mazda USA based on a survey/feedback form I sent in, and he just wanted to let me know that Mazda is 100% aware of this issue and they know there is a petition and on facebook, etc.

He said it is not falling on deaf ears and Mazda is currently working with the manufacturer of the Infotainment system, and is/will be working on an update.

He documented all my notes, and it seems like they are finally going to do something about it. Let's just hope we don't have to wait too much longer!

He did say there is a GPS TOM TOM Update at the dealership the next time I go in that deals with the Safety Lock feature when driving, and the restrictions it has. He said that is being addressed.
I really hope this is the case. The car has been out for over a year while the Mazda3 has been out for about 4 months and has had 2 updates already on its unit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
the shuffle feature is not random

signed. just got my 6 four weeks ago and boy does the head unit firmware need work.

One of my pet peeves is the shuffle function -- it doesn't remember where it left off when you restart the car AND they used an infantile randomization algorithm with a fixed initial random seed. Every time you select shuffle on the USB, the songs are played in the SAME shuffle order. You would think their programmers would know enough to pull the date-time group from the GPS to use as a non-constant initialization vector for shuffling!

·
Registered
105 Posts
One of my pet peeves is the shuffle function -- it doesn't remember where it left off when you restart the car AND they used an infantile randomization algorithm with a fixed initial random seed. Every time you select shuffle on the USB, the songs are played in the SAME shuffle order. You would think their programmers would know enough to pull the date-time group from the GPS to use as a non-constant initialization vector for shuffling!
That really bothers me too. It's probably a really simple fix:
Code:
//srand( 42 );

·
Registered
55 Posts

FYI if you pull the SD card and update tomtom yourself, you'll get the safety lock rework. It's somewhat better, doesn't seem to cancel your input, just pauses it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

201 - 220 of 1308 Posts
About this Discussion
1.3K Replies
238 Participants
jsouth
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing