Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, everybody.

I've been the owner of a 2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring for almost three years now. In the last two years, a noticeable rattle started to occur emanating from what sounds like the rear deck lid, or rear window.. This rattle only occurs when the car is driving over road imperfections that generates vibrations. It's not as noticeable when going over speed bumps, and you don't hear it at all when the road is smooth.

The Mazda dealership where I live attempted to fix the issue for me. They thought that maybe there was something loose in the trunk, or maybe it was some loose screws for the rear deck lid. However, nothing they did worked, and when they reached out to Mazda for advice they were told by Mazda that they had no idea what was causing it. I had one of their service professionals lie down in the trunk (I dropped the rear seats down) and I drove the car around for approximately 30 minutes, and he still could not find the source of the rattle.

The sound goes as follows: "tat-tat-tat.......tat-tat-tat.....tat-tat-tat-tat-tat..................tat-tat..........tat-tat-tat-tat...." it's all random, and heavily depends on the conditions of the road.

The Mazda dealership believes it may be something to do with the rear deck lid, but I'm not so sure. I read another post from another user saying that their rear rattle was because a small pebble got up in the rear suspension, but the ratting noise I'm experiencing sounds as though it is coming from within the cabin, but my ears could be deceiving me. I also read a post from the owner of an '08 6 who said that their rear ratting sound was because of a rod in the C-column.

Has anybody had this problem, and if so, were you able to fix it? Please let me know because the noise is driving me crazy! :)

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Hah! I just found what I think is a fix for this the other day and was going to post about it, but wanted to wait until I got a chance to verify that it worked. Here's you a quick and dirty of what I did:

1. Go stick your head in your trunk and angrily root around for something loose and rattle-y. Look up under the deck. See those cables for the back seat release? See that one on the left? It's anchored to the side panel with a little tab. Great!

2. Now check out the one on the right. Yep, just dangling like a damn fool. Slap that bad boy around a bit and hear how it makes the plunger bracket rattle. Son of a!

3. Tie that sombitch down! I was just going to grab a zip tie and just tie it to the thick black wire going across the deck*, but I found some zip tie anchors in the box and decided to [reluctantly] do it the right way. Drilled a hole in the felt side panel and anchored that little shit down tight.

*note that the thick black wire looking thing is part of the hinge for the trunk lid -- it rotates when you open the trunk. It should be fine to zip tie the cable to, assuming you don't open the trunk 20 times a day. I only did it the way I did because the anchor piece was right in front of me. I wouldn't have even bothered looking for it.

Let me know if it works!

·
Registered
709 Posts
One thing I had was one of the rear seats wasn't locked into the latch properly. It looked like it was locked in.. But pull the seat and it was loose. Sound was the latch bouncing off the rear hook on bumps.

But I like Donkey's explanation better for the source of your issue.

Sent from my S7E .. RIP N7.. ='(

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am going to have to look at that too.

I think my issue is similar as well.

Bye.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yeah also have this. Will try the release cable fix. Really annoying especially given the otherwise silent interior. Best every in any Mazda I've owned.

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
Hah! I just found what I think is a fix for this the other day and was going to post about it, but wanted to wait until I got a chance to verify that it worked. Here's you a quick and dirty of what I did:

1. Go stick your head in your trunk and angrily root around for something loose and rattle-y. Look up under the deck. See those cables for the back seat release? See that one on the left? It's anchored to the side panel with a little tab. Great!

2. Now check out the one on the right. Yep, just dangling like a damn fool. Slap that bad boy around a bit and hear how it makes the plunger bracket rattle. Son of a!

3. Tie that sombitch down! I was just going to grab a zip tie and just tie it to the thick black wire going across the deck*, but I found some zip tie anchors in the box and decided to [reluctantly] do it the right way. Drilled a hole in the felt side panel and anchored that little shit down tight.

*note that the thick black wire looking thing is part of the hinge for the trunk lid -- it rotates when you open the trunk. It should be fine to zip tie the cable to, assuming you don't open the trunk 20 times a day. I only did it the way I did because the anchor piece was right in front of me. I wouldn't have even bothered looking for it.

Let me know if it works!
Excellent (and funny) walkthrough sir. Adding it to my 3rd gen 1 stop shop.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A few things you could try:

1) Fold the rear seats forward and drive around. Does the problem still exist? If not, it might be the seat back latches, or the seat backs weren't latched fully as mentioned above. Is the rattle louder? If so, it might be coming from inside the trunk. If it's the same volume, that might indicate a rattle inside the rear deck area (CHMSL housing, speakers, etc).

2) If you can get someone to drive your car around with you in the back seat listening, that would be ideal. You might try using an automotive stethoscope or even a length of vacuum hose to listen around for the source of the noise.

Good luck! There is little more annoying than a rattle...

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts

Let me know if it works!
Excellent (and funny) walkthrough sir. Adding it to my 3rd gen 1 stop shop.
Nope! Didn't fix the problem. Still hear a rattle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had the same intermittent problem in my '16 touring for the last few thousand miles. I took a look at the tray above the back seats and it seemed a little thin. Pulled the pins and had a look underneath, but everything looked pretty solid. I noticed that the three trim pieces for the child seat anchors were just sitting pretty loosely in the tray along with the third brake light. Try pushing/pulling all the trim to the front or back of their respective cutouts and see if that stops the problem. I think mine was actually the third brake light. So far so good, but I don't know how it will fare long term. Might be able to stick some additional insulation between the tray and the body to prop it up a little and keep it from rattling.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Had a similar rattle. Turns out it was the third brake light cover on the rear deck. I was able to lift it up with out any resistance. Apparently there should be two tabs the grab and hold it down. Looks like they are broken. To confirm, I balled up some duct tap and put it under the cover to cushion it. Haven't heard it since. Been about a month. I can't see the tape and haven't heard the rattle, so I haven't bothered to figure out a more eloquent way to fix it. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does it happen more frequently when the car is cold (ie has been sitting outside in cooler weather)? If so, you may want to investigate Mazda TSB 09-025/14 as well:

My 2014 had noise in the back window due to the plastic alignment pins that would occur more obviously when the weather turned colder. As i drove it over bumps or uneven parts of the road, it would creak and groan quite loudly. It all went away once I fixed the alignment pins on the rear window.

Or it could be something in the trunk like everyone else suggested, just wanted to share my experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my '14 I had a similar rattle that the one you described. It turned out to be some plastic stuck to one of those metal rods that are attached to the trunk hinges. it was stuck is such a way that the 2 rods were banging on each other on rough roads and making the rattle When I finally investigated the problem I found the plastic removed it and additionally put some felt on the rods to eliminate some future issues. I haven't had an issue in about a week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts