Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I went to the local race track this weekend, www.rockfallsraceway.com.

My best 3 runs were 14.42, 14.31, 14.24. Those were my last 3 runs.

My first 3 runs were 15.1, 14.9, 15.6. Both of the 15 runs, I missed 3rd. The 14.9 I bogged 2nd gear really bad.

I'll post up slips tonight when I get home from work.

Oh...and trap speeds were all either 96.x or 97.x mph.

-Ryan

·
Registered
272 Posts
This should be in dyno & track :)

Those are reasonable times, are you riding out 4th gear? What are the other times on the slip? My first 10 runs I didn't break 14.2, but that was in 86F weather.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This should be in dyno & track :)

Those are reasonable times, are you riding out 4th gear? What are the other times on the slip? My first 10 runs I didn't break 14.2, but that was in 86F weather.
[/b]
Yup, I rode 4th every time.

My best 60' was 1.9xx. My best reaction was .05x or something like that.

I'll post them up later today :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What shift points are you using? It can make a big difference.
[/b]
It happens so quick it's hard to tell you exactly...

I'd say around 6K though.

·
Registered
870 Posts

[/b]
6200, 5700, 5700 seems to work best. Give it a try next time.

Power shifting 2nd also helps a lot. 3rd and 4th aern't affected much by it. You can bog down severly in 2nd if you don't power shift. Easily losing 2 to 3/10th's

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

[/b]

yea... after 6k, iv noticed the turbo boost just drops.... so its pretty much stupid going past 6k

6200, 5700, 5700 seems to work best. Give it a try next time.

Power shifting 2nd also helps a lot. 3rd and 4th aern't affected much by it. You can bog down severly in 2nd if you don't power shift. Easily losing 2 to 3/10th's
[/b]
wait, power shifting? i'm still kinda new to this game...please define lol

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll give that a shot next time :)

As for power shifting...I don't know if I really want to do that. It's kinda harsh.

Power shifting is no clutch...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
but wouldnt that grind the gears? or would it just slip in?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't mean that, sorry.

I meant power shifting as in keeping it floored as you shift.
[/b]

Ah...gotcha. That might be helpful....didn't try that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't like holding 4th because it wants to rev all the way to 6300, by that time you've lost 80hp. At the track, I've still got probably 0.5-1.0s when I go into 5th. Try it next time.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't like holding 4th because it wants to rev all the way to 6300, by that time you've lost 80hp. At the track, I've still got probably 0.5-1.0s when I go into 5th. Try it next time.
[/b]
So...you think it's better to go to 5th? By doing this you think you can gain .5 or 1.0? I dunno about that. I didn't reallly feel the power drop off at the line.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Those are pretty good times. I have power shifted b4 and have noticed that it is a bit better. I do that on the street, haven't taken her to the track yet. I dismantled a 2000 SI Turbo with my stock Speed6 and kept up pretty good with an S4. Got spanked by a CLS 55... Just punched it to see if he would bite! And of course he did... :drive:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
780 Posts
those are some pretty good times. I'd like to make my way down to the track once i get some free time on my hands. hopefully i can pull a 15 flat. ..it says u had a MSP protege; how does it compare to the MSP6? (i was always a fan of the protege.)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
those are some pretty good times. I'd like to make my way down to the track once i get some free time on my hands. hopefully i can pull a 15 flat. ..it says u had a MSP protege; how does it compare to the MSP6? (i was always a fan of the protege.)
[/b]
I liked the Mazdaspeed Protege a lot too, but I think of this car as a grown up version of that ;)

My best run in the MSP was 14.9 at stock boost but just about every bolt on you can get.

-Ryan

·
Registered
236 Posts
When I try power shifting, the car seems to lag a split second and it sounds like the blow off valve is recirculating some pressure. I have better results not power shifting. When you first shift, do you get that split second pause?
I haven't been too alarmed by it, just figured that's how turbo cars behave.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but your shifts are slow. Your 1/8th mile times should be sub 9.0s. I don't power shift, but I do have very quick shifts. Off the gas as you press the clutch in, slam it as fast as you can into the next gear and release the clutch, step on the gas. Should take < 0.1s, and it will easily give you 0.3s in the 1/4.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but your shifts are slow. Your 1/8th mile times should be sub 9.0s. I don't power shift, but I do have very quick shifts. Off the gas as you press the clutch in, slam it as fast as you can into the next gear and release the clutch, step on the gas. Should take < 0.1s, and it will easily give you 0.3s in the 1/4.
[/b]

dude, there is no way you are shifting using the clutch in less than a tenth of a second. I hope you are exagerateing - at least a little. Maybe 2 tenths if you are really fast for a complete shift using the clutch. 3 to 4 shift is probably the fastest and easiest to complete. You may be able to sneak in a faster shift on this one

1 - 20 of 28 Posts