Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to Thunder Valley Raceway (in Oklahoma) for the first time and I quickly realized that the street and the track are completely different. I have a Mazdaspeed6 and I was horrible. Granted it was my first time so I'm not tooo mad but I have a lot to learn.

I wound up running a 15.26 @ 92.26 mph(which is way slower than my car should run) but I never nailed my launch, I had to use 91 octane(instead of 93) and for some strange reason I couldn't get 3rd gear. The bottom line is I need help. Any and all pointers are welcome. Anyone have any advice has to how I can lower my 1/4 mile time.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sorry bro, but there are plenty of topics already made on this. Just press the "Search" button at the top, and type in the keyword "1/4 mile".
:search:

Also, here is this link to tips to which you are looking for http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=16071

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
im going to try and help you out alittle but i have afew questions about your run

first off-
you said you nailed your luanch - did you mean the lite or luanching the car, if its the car what was your 60 foot time? was the DSC off ? did you slip the clutch ? did you flat shift the car?
did you use the clutch when shifting into 4th?

second-
did you ride out 4th or did you throw it in 5th? my best times have all been from rideing out 4th

third-
you missed 3rd, i know how you feel 3rd in this car can suck, so get a motor mount, it fixed every complaint i have had about shifting in this car. the mount will keep you form streaching out your linkage when you are hard on the gas.

fourth-
you need good gas - most tracks have 93 nonoxy, this car love octane 110oct will not give you more hp but it will reduce knock and that will keep the car from pulling timeing due to heat soak and knock counts, because it will lower your knock count 110 is better for your motor

fifth-
rpm is important - shift before 6k, i try to always shift before 5800rpm anything after that is fall off in my speed6

sixth-
your top mount must be cool, try putting a bag of ice on your ic before you run to cool it down as much as possible, this is a big deal if you heat soak you will be slower

seventh-
air temps, track temps,humidity,barometric preasure,altitude and wind can play a big part in a run - so what was it like

eigth-
i dont clutch between 3rd and 4th its called rip shifting and if done wrong its a very bad thing, when done right its a thing of beauty, another big part is flat shifting (also known as power shifting) to do this you dont lift off the accelrator between gears. if this is done right it should be seamless and smooth. DO NOT try either of these things untill you are very good at shifting the car, if you screw up you could damage the car. many people argue that even when done right you will damage the car, i dont agree, i have done this on many cars and i havent ever broken anything - yet

with pratcice come perfection noone ever runs a perfect pass the first much less the fifth time. also keep in mind the track will make a big diffrence in your time as well, there is such a thing as a fast track. also trap speed is much more important than elapsed time. By useing all of this, keeping in mind right now my car is stock except for the motor mount,my personal best has been 13.98 at 104 but my average is 14.00 at 101 my cars not a factory freek i think the prep has alot to do with getting a good trap speeds.

good luck next time at the track i hope this helps you get a better times :drive:
i didnt post this to start a disscution on my praticeses and track methods i posted this to teach you one way to get the best out of your stock mazdaspeed6.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i hear that you need a motor mount to be able to control your shifting with ease... missing a gear because of such an event is really a kick in the ass!

·
Registered
176 Posts
flatshifting will damage your clutch/tranny, maybe it wont kill it the first few times you do it, but it will damage it...do it a few more times and it will indeed destroy it. I have seen STi clutches shred to pieces.

ripping shift? wow...wont even comment on that. I personally go to the track to see what my car is capable when well driven, not when ripped the shit out of...if i wanted that, i would just dump the seats, doors, hood, 1000shot of nitro and C4 and 4 NASA combustion rockets...but to each their own.

·
Registered
272 Posts
IMO -
The two most important things.
1. the launch, < 2.0s 60' is a good launch. It can yield you 13s. At the track, it is very sticky, I personally don't line up in the lanes where the others do, I line up ofset by 2 feet to get the least amount of traction.
2. Shifting, learn to shift the car like you stole it. Gas/clutch/shift should must be flawless and quick. There is video on streetfire it you want. Also the shift points I use are 6000-61000, 5800-5900, 5700-5800, 5800. I always go into 5th, I've run many times in the 13s.
[email protected] with shifting into 5th.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
flatshifting will damage your clutch/tranny, maybe it wont kill it the first few times you do it, but it will damage it...do it a few more times and it will indeed destroy it. I have seen STi clutches shred to pieces.

ripping shift? wow...wont even comment on that. I personally go to the track to see what my car is capable when well driven, not when ripped the shit out of...if i wanted that, i would just dump the seats, doors, hood, 1000shot of nitro and C4 and 4 NASA combustion rockets...but to each their own.[/b]
your the type of person that i was talking about at the end of the post, i left a warning about doing it and how when done wrong it will destroy a transmission but don't be so narrow sighted to say if done right it will dammage or destroy a car because it won't. :nono:

i have had 50 or more passes at the track with my stealth TT all of them flat shifted all of them rip shifted into 4th and my stock trans and original clutch are still fine 100k miles latter, that car is capable of dropping the transfer case stock, people who are damageing there cars doing these thing are doing them wrong, peolpe have been flat shifting since the days of 3 on the tree and some people rip shift every gear in their car at the track.

Karma how many times do you think my speed can go down the track my way 5,10 because its been 21 times now and i havent had any problems in fact 50% of my milage is auto X and 1/4 mile.

if you think the 1/4 mile is ruff on a car try autocross. after every race day i do a poor mans tear down and rebuild (that is where you tear down the motor clean and inspect everything then relube and reassemble) i would find the damage if there was any before it became a real problem.my speeds motor has been out of the car longer than it has been in the car, i bought my speed6 to race it not to run to the dealer crying , if i blow the clutch it me, if a sensor goes out its the dealers problem.

many fast people dont give out there secrets they let you belive there cars are factory freeks or you just think they are hideing mods because when they tell you something they do to be faster you just call them a morron and say you know better than me

since you are going to pick me apart Karma hunden i have some questions for you
do you clutch every time you shift? do you know that you dont need to and its actualy better for your car not to

do you under stand what a throwout bearring does and how much stress you put on it when you shift at high rpm into your higher gears.

mazda even said that to get the best performance out of the speed6 it needs to be flat shifted 1/4 mile - does that make it ok - no not if you dont know what you are doing

Karma drag racing is hard on a car its part of the sport, every time you slip the clutch you take a risk even when just leaveing a stop lite hard. to me its a test of what the car can do stock if i wanted to dump the seats, doors, hood, 100shot of nitro and C4 and 4 NASA combustion rockets i would, and other than the NASA aero spike (thats what thas called by the way)i have done it, but not to the speed6. the challenge is getting everything out of the car stock that i can and then modifying it after i am sure it won't go any faster.

the point is this he asked how to improve his time i told him afew ways to do it :slap:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'm pretty sure they invented the clutch for a reason - it's probably wise to use it when shifting.

As to the OP: Just drive you car and learn it. And if you are going to a track find some decent gas. There is no point in evening showing up at a track with 91 octane in the car. With 93 octane you could pull a 15 second 1/4 mile without even launching the car and shifting at redline.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im going to try and help you out alittle but i have afew questions about your run

first off-
you said you nailed your luanch - did you mean the lite or luanching the car, if its the car what was your 60 foot time? was the DSC off ? did you slip the clutch ? did you flat shift the car?
did you use the clutch when shifting into 4th?

second-
did you ride out 4th or did you throw it in 5th? my best times have all been from rideing out 4th

third-
you missed 3rd, i know how you feel 3rd in this car can suck, so get a motor mount, it fixed every complaint i have had about shifting in this car. the mount will keep you form streaching out your linkage when you are hard on the gas.

fourth-
you need good gas - most tracks have 93 nonoxy, this car love octane 110oct will not give you more hp but it will reduce knock and that will keep the car from pulling timeing due to heat soak and knock counts, because it will lower your knock count 110 is better for your motor

fifth-
rpm is important - shift before 6k, i try to always shift before 5800rpm anything after that is fall off in my speed6

sixth-
your top mount must be cool, try putting a bag of ice on your ic before you run to cool it down as much as possible, this is a big deal if you heat soak you will be slower

seventh-
air temps, track temps,humidity,barometric preasure,altitude and wind can play a big part in a run - so what was it like

eigth-
i dont clutch between 3rd and 4th its called rip shifting and if done wrong its a very bad thing, when done right its a thing of beauty, another big part is flat shifting (also known as power shifting) to do this you dont lift off the accelrator between gears. if this is done right it should be seamless and smooth. DO NOT try either of these things untill you are very good at shifting the car, if you screw up you could damage the car. many people argue that even when done right you will damage the car, i dont agree, i have done this on many cars and i havent ever broken anything - yet

with pratcice come perfection noone ever runs a perfect pass the first much less the fifth time. also keep in mind the track will make a big diffrence in your time as well, there is such a thing as a fast track. also trap speed is much more important than elapsed time. By useing all of this, keeping in mind right now my car is stock except for the motor mount,my personal best has been 13.98 at 104 but my average is 14.00 at 101 my cars not a factory freek i think the prep has alot to do with getting a good trap speeds.

good luck next time at the track i hope this helps you get a better times :drive:
i didnt post this to start a disscution on my praticeses and track methods i posted this to teach you one way to get the best out of your stock mazdaspeed6.[/b]

With this being my first time at the track, I didn't pay attention to the wind speed. All I can tell you was that it was a strong headwind. I didn't flatshift, just speed shift but I found myself consistantly looking for 3rd. When I said I never nalied my launch I was talking about the car once the light went green. On my third run I rode out fourth and got a slightly better time.

I do have one question though. I am familiar with speed and power shifting but what is rip shifting???

·
Registered
960 Posts
what were your 60 foots? Thats going to be your most important thing. When it comes to getting it into the gears I dont think we can help you there. Just shift slow at first then when you get the hang of it shift faster and faster

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what were your 60 foots? Thats going to be your most important thing. When it comes to getting it into the gears I dont think we can help you there. Just shift slow at first then when you get the hang of it shift faster and faster[/b]

I cant remember exactly but my 60 foot was around 2.2. Do you know what rip shifting is??

·
Registered
998 Posts
can you explain rip shifting? not being a smart ass, I'm curious as to how it's done correctly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can you explain rip shifting? not being a smart ass, I'm curious as to how it's done correctly.[/b]

I'm trying to find out. I have no idea what this is.

Here are my 1/4 mile times from my first three runs at the track. As you can see I need all the help/advice I can get.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today I went to Thunder Valley Raceway (in Oklahoma) for the first time and I quickly realized that the street and the track are completely different. I have a Mazdaspeed6 and I was horrible. Granted it was my first time so I'm not tooo mad but I have a lot to learn.

I wound up running a 15.26 @ 92.26 mph(which is way slower than my car should run) but I never nailed my launch, I had to use 91 octane(instead of 93) and for some strange reason I couldn't get 3rd gear. The bottom line is I need help. Any and all pointers are welcome. Anyone have any advice has to how I can lower my 1/4 mile time.[/b]
Click here to see Video

Here is the video of my first run. It's horrible but we all have to start somewhere. It doesnt start until the 24 sec mark.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Rip shifting is shifting without the normal use of the clutch, it is clutchless shifting, I personally would not recommend it but I have never done it so I am choosing not to speak on its pros or cons. My car will never be shifted this way though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well your times look high but the fact you beat the Mustang GT is a little weird. They normally run 14s stock. Was everyone running high times there?[/b]
People were telling me that they were running about .5 slower than normal. It was very windy that day, so maybe that had something to do with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.