Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so after 1100 miles I figured I'd share my thoughts about the car. I'm going to concentrate on the negatives because overall I love the car.

When I first got the car I was very impressed with its looks, its power and its braking ability. Braking is still exceptional, although brake dust is annoying, but I really think it could use some more power. I still love the work, and am having a hard time coming up with things to do to improve upon the stock look.

The audio system is weak, period, in my opinion. I have the Bose system with the 6 disc changer. It lacks punch, the speaker placment is terrible (no rear deck speakers, besides the sub?) and the cd player does not read text. TERRIBLE. It sounds decent, but terrible for the extra $700 it cost.

The interior seems to be poorly put together - even minor bass hits at certain frequencies cause everything to rattle. HIGHLY annoying. As for other noise, wind and road noise are not quiet, but they are acceptable. With everthing open (windows/moon roof) there is too much noise around the B pillar and moon roof though.

Space and room for occupents and to carry stuff (trunk and elsewhere) is great.

The rear mirror could be a little bigger, IMO.

I still can't figure out how to make the headlights auto-shut off, and there needs to be a 1 touch open/close on the moon roof.

Lumbar support needs to be improved in the seat... this 3 stage stuff is lame... and the heated seats are iffy and outdated.

The sound of the car could be improved. It heats up really quickly though - that is nice. I also like the fact that it runs on regular fuel.

The transmission is great - I have the 5AT. It'll bring you right up to red line if you demand that of it. Of course in M you can go pretty much as high as you want.

Alright, that's all I can think of for now. Let me stress that overall I LOVE THIS CAR, and I don't think I'd trade it for anything in the price range. These have just been my annoyances. If I was to do it again, I wouldn't get the Bose system, I'd replace all the speakers/etc myself, but other than that I'd get everything!

Steel Grey 6s / 5AT / Moon Roof / Black Leather / Sports Package / Comfort Package / Bose + Side Air Bags
MSRP ~ $26,500
Paid ~ $23,500

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Replying to Topic '1,100 Mile Review'

Originally posted by MZ6ZoomZoom

I still can't figure out how to make the headlights auto-shut off, and there needs to be a 1 touch open/close on the moon roof.[/b]
Just leave the lights on, close all the doors, lock/alarm the car and walk away.. 30-45 seconds later the lights will shut off.. Whalaa!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Reading Topic: 1,100 Mile Review

Nice review! I am approaching 1000 too :)

The Bose system isn't bad, but not great. I still can't seem to find the perfect setting. It sounds good for light music like jazz and classical, but weak for pop and rap. When the bass kicks in, I can see the side mirrors rattle... Would changing the speakers improve the overall sound quality? Or do we need an equalizer?

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Originally posted by Lex2Maz

Nice review!  I am approaching 1000 too :)

The Bose system isn't bad, but not great.  I still can't seem to find the perfect setting.  It sounds good for light music like jazz and classical, but weak for pop and rap.  When the bass kicks in, I can see the side mirrors rattle...  Would changing the speakers improve the overall sound quality?  Or do we need an equalizer?[/b]
Well.. being a bose salesman at an electronics store here...

Good luck changing out the speakers. Bose uses a proprietary speaker connecter to all their speakers. You will have to get an adapter to get it to work right. And who knows if that adapter is even out yet (more than likely it will be able to use a universal one and not one specifically made for the 6). Moreso, you don't even know how much power the Bose amp is outputting... Bose keeps their power output from most of their systems very secret.

One thing about Bose is they make very efficient speakers. So if the speaker they make sounds the same running off 30 watts then it does 80 watts, why put an amp in the car that will power all speakers to 80 watts? Which means that if you do decide to change out speakers, be careful that the amp hooked up to them may not power them correctly and giving you even worse sound.

While I don't have the Bose sound system, the best way for non-Bose people is to run a LOC to an aftermakret amp then out to all new speakers.

For thos with a Bose system... You can probably do the same thing, however, you will need to bypass the Bose amplifier all together. Get new speakers and hook them up to a new amplifier.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

My car barely rattles even with techno music bumping. As far as the side mirrors are concerned, it did that in my shite Intrepid with not even a little bass, so I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Originally posted by Lex2Maz

Nice review!  I am approaching 1000 too :)

The Bose system isn't bad, but not great.  I still can't seem to find the perfect setting.  It sounds good for light music like jazz and classical, but weak for pop and rap.  When the bass kicks in, I can see the side mirrors rattle...  Would changing the speakers improve the overall sound quality?  Or do we need an equalizer?[/b]
Side mirrors shaking (and rear view mirror) is normal. I have no problem with that. Heck, that's the sign of a GOOD system.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Yah, I have 3500 miles on my 6s and have never heard a rattle as a result of a bass hit from the stereo. I listen to all types of music in my car. If you are having probelms with it, you should make the dealership take care of it for you. IMO, the Bose stereo sounds decent for a $700 option. Its not an audiophile system, and I wouldn't expect that in a mid-sized family size vehicle they would put a slamming stock stereo in it to begin with. The sound is on par with the top stereo's the competition offers for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts