Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i got my sept issue of MotorTrend and read an article comparing the G35 and the BMW 3 series.. The G35 beat out the 3 in just about every category and was almost 10K cheaper as tested. 306HP vs the BMWs 255. Also in all the acceleration tests the BMWs first run was 16 second quarter mile at a lame 90mph... but after some cooling and "adaptation by both the engine and the driver" they got it down to 6.2 sec 0-60 and a 14.7 second quarter at 94.5 mph.

The G35 on the other hand got an official time of 14 for the quarter at 100.3 mph and a 0-60 of 5.4seconds but the thing about it was that it was consistant and the quarter was only a .3 seconds different in the end then in the begining saying something about consitancy. Also a very impressive 45-65 mph passing of only 2.8 seconds, bout half a second faster then the 3.

Anyway, after a complete blowout in performance and price, they still picked the 3 as the better car based on interior? The pictures of the interior to me were much better with the infinity. Both had navigation but infinit placed it much nicer not to mention more modern while BMW had a ton of ugly ass wood trim and what looked like an aftermarket install of the nav system.

Seems like pure bias to me... but anyway... has anyone heard anything about the G35 coupe for 2007 and if there even is one? I have loved the coupe for a long time and couldnt wait for one after seeing the concept car photos but... now that i see this one i am realizing that they wont have anything close to the concept images. I cn see myself getting a G35 but it would have to be the sexy coupe. :)

On another note.. and a more depressing one.. .the toyota rav4 V-6 had a 0-60 of 6.2 seconds.. and that was an automatic?!? Its an SUV damnit.. make it slow... anyway, its pretty good compared to the mazda CX-7 TURBO which got a much slower 8.0 seconds.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great, the coupe is in 08 .. .. ..

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
So, i got my sept issue of MotorTrend and read an article comparing the G35 and the BMW 3 series.. The G35 beat out the 3 in just about every category and was almost 10K cheaper as tested. 306HP vs the BMWs 255. Also in all the acceleration tests the BMWs first run was 16 second quarter mile at a lame 90mph... but after some cooling and "adaptation by both the engine and the driver" they got it down to 6.2 sec 0-60 and a 14.7 second quarter at 94.5 mph.

The G35 on the other hand got an official time of 14 for the quarter at 100.3 mph and a 0-60 of 5.4seconds but the thing about it was that it was consistant and the quarter was only a .3 seconds different in the end then in the begining saying something about consitancy. Also a very impressive 45-65 mph passing of only 2.8 seconds, bout half a second faster then the 3.

Anyway, after a complete blowout in performance and price, they still picked the 3 as the better car based on interior? The pictures of the interior to me were much better with the infinity. Both had navigation but infinit placed it much nicer not to mention more modern while BMW had a ton of ugly ass wood trim and what looked like an aftermarket install of the nav system.

Seems like pure bias to me... but anyway... has anyone heard anything about the G35 coupe for 2007 and if there even is one? I have loved the coupe for a long time and couldnt wait for one after seeing the concept car photos but... now that i see this one i am realizing that they wont have anything close to the concept images. I cn see myself getting a G35 but it would have to be the sexy coupe. :)
On another note.. and a more depressing one.. .the toyota rav4 V-6 had a 0-60 of 6.2 seconds.. and that was an automatic?!? Its an SUV damnit.. make it slow... anyway, its pretty good compared to the mazda CX-7 TURBO which got a much slower 8.0 seconds.
[/b]

You must of been reading the wrong Mag cause I have it right here in my hands and they picked the 3 series over the G35....but I would take the G35 anyways....there are WAYYY to many 3 series out there, buying a Beamer would mean an M3 and M3 only!

Edit, i found the part where you said the 3 still won!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Yeah, read the article, very bias. Much better performance and cost less ($10k), two of the biggest criteria on most people's list, but yet lost out because of the interior? Ridiculous. I wonder how much advertising support they are receiving from BMW.

·
Registered
531 Posts
That's pretty reasonable for a car with those specs (Infinity). Never cared for their looks personally but that's definately a good bargain. You'll find that bias throughout many auto mags.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,535 Posts
I'd choose the '07 G35 over the Beamer anyday, especially at that price. The interior is a HUGE improvement over the previous-gen.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
G35 has always been a nice car fot the money. The win by BMW in that article was rediculous. My only issue with the G35 is it looks about the same as the last one. Same deal as the new Altima, but I guess that makes sense seeing how they are kissing cousins.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Same deal as the new Altima, but I guess that makes sense seeing how they are kissing cousins.
[/b]
apart from the 3.5L VQ, they don't share any common parts.

I read that article too & was suprised that they choose the 3, but it was more than the interior. IIRC, they also mentioned the handling. I like the new 3, but I'd take the '07 G35S in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
the only reason I would chose the 3 series over the G35 is the look and refinement of the 3. If I was considering a car in that pricerange it would be more for refinement and prestige and performance behind it. The G35 is no doubt a bargain and performs great and looking at a pure performance standpoint the G35 wins hands down.

Anyway motortrend sucks ass in their reviews...bias city

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
3 series and prestige go together like oil and water.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
3 series and prestige go together like oil and water.
[/b]
yeah but BMW and prestige go together like peanut butter and chocolate

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
yeah but BMW and prestige go together like peanut butter and chocolate
[/b]
not when you and about 15 of your friends drove a BMW in high school. friend of mine had an 850 with the v12 :drool:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You must of been reading the wrong Mag cause I have it right here in my hands and they picked the 3 series over the G35....but I would take the G35 anyways....there are WAYYY to many 3 series out there, buying a Beamer would mean an M3 and M3 only!

Edit, i found the part where you said the 3 still won!
[/b]

Yeah, i was saying it sucked that they still picked it. And i agree about the M3 as the only BMW. If the coupe looks half way decent (higher razed back end like the current compared to the sedan) then that is my next car. Its just too bad 08 is the first year. I always wait a year or two to buy a car to avoid new car deprechiation and i'd hate to wait that long.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
the 08' is going to be basically an R35 skyline but legal to drive in the US supposedly. I also heard the price of the 08' coupe might be like 40-45k with different types of option packages. this is all rumors though from my local infiniti dealer.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
now how is that car running a 13.6 with only 300/300 and a 3600lb curb weight? that's what 26 more hp 20lb of torque than the MS6 and that got it down by .2 in the 1/4? awesome if that's right but it seems hard to believe. that or BMW just gets it's traction to the ground better than any other company around.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'm not trying to defend Motortrends pick of the BMW over the Infiniti, but the BMW 330i is estimated at 21/30 MPG. That's quite impressive, and that is actually better than the Mazda6 V6 despite the BMW pushing 35 more bhp.

Then again, if you are paying $30-40K for a car, chances are that the gas prices and MPGs are moot points.

·
Registered
990 Posts
now how is that car running a 13.6 with only 300/300 and a 3600lb curb weight? that's what 26 more hp 20lb of torque than the MS6 and that got it down by .2 in the 1/4? awesome if that's right but it seems hard to believe. that or BMW just gets it's traction to the ground better than any other company around.
[/b]
the new twin-turbo I6 is under-rated according to Automobile mag. They dyno'd a new Coupe....and according to the article its pushing 275/300 to the wheels...about 350/360 at the crank.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts