Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
other then part quality are there any hook up difference between parts on the 07 6i and the 07 speed6 like suspension and such

·
Rally Racer
2,715 Posts
The big difference is the speed is AWD so the rear suspension components will be a little different.
You can take the front sway bar, springs, all four brakes (a very nice upgrade). The speed is a bit of a unicorn so unless you already have one, it is likely more feasible to go aftermarket for your 6i.
The brakes however will give you a jump to 320mm (from 290mm) and spending 4x on Brembo or Willwood will only take you to 330mm.

What in particular where you interested in?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for starters upgrading my 4 disc braking to speed braking, strut bar, as much on the steering and suspension as possible. motor wise I'm dropping in the 2.3L turbo 6i motor. then I'm doing alot of cosmetics for it both inside and out. but mechanically that's my starting point

·
Rally Racer
2,715 Posts
You'll love the brakes.
I would go with a non speed set of sway bars. If you don't get snow and want "go-cart" look at the Racing Beat sway bar set. If you do get snow but still want fairly stiff then the Mazdaspeed (not speed6) set is nice.

I would pass on on the strut bar (except for looks) and put a sub-frame brace on instead. Since you have a sedan the speed 6 rear seat cross bracing is an improvement. They make great rear floor bars for the sedan.

For springs a decent set of coil-overs would work great.

As for the motor, swapping in an electronically controlled turbo in place of your NA is a fairly involved process.

·
Rally Racer
2,715 Posts
I would imagine there is a fair bit of difference in fueling and AWD control, not to mention your would be moving from a 5speed to a 6speed.
As long as you can swap computers and wiring harnesses or provide a custom tuning solution. The actual mechanics of fitting it is pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
2008 6i
15 Posts
Hoooly crap I wanted to turbo my own '08 6i and thought I had to peice-meal the entire thing. Thanks for that link, I'm def going to save up for that! What would you expect the HP range of that kit to be? And for someone interested in learning about properly preparing for performance mods, are there other things I should be changing ? (Engine hardening, exhaust?)

·
Rally Racer
2,715 Posts
Hoooly crap I wanted to turbo my own '08 6i and thought I had to peice-meal the entire thing. Thanks for that link, I'm def going to save up for that! What would you expect the HP range of that kit to be? And for someone interested in learning about properly preparing for performance mods, are there other things I should be changing ? (Engine hardening, exhaust?)
I would think that 210-240HP at the wheels (MTX) would be a reasonable possibility. If yours runs like a Swiss watch then lubrication and cooling are top pf my list.for it working out. Any time you pull power you shorten lifespan. Run it until it shows it's weakness then repair/reinforce.
This is likely pretty far from plug-and-play however.

·
Rally Racer
2,715 Posts
In this case it is just swept area. Larger area for more friction equals better stopping.
It's true that a multi-piston would allow for narrower pad to be used that can curve around the outside of the rotor and also distribute force more evenly as well as distributing heat better. Bite feel and modulation is crisper with the multi-pistons as well, (at least they are in my 240z) but since I only really need to stop hard once maybe, (say for random homeless people playing Frogger/Crossy-Road on the highway) the additional pistons are wasted. They would look cool though and If it wasn't an ATX with 185,000mi I would maybe occasionally AutoX it. bleeding them after AutoX events would be much easier, but I have another much funner car for that.

EDIT: I realized I didn't answer your question. They are likely single piston for cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts