Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey My name is Marc. I just bought an 07 Mazda 6. 2.3 5 speed. the motor is done. I know the fusion is a good swap but I found a 2010 Mazda 3 with super low miles at local junkyard. at first glance it all looks the same except the oil filter. can anyone confirm if this will fit without any crazy mods.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey My name is Marc. I just bought an 07 Mazda 6. 2.3 5 speed. the motor is done. I know the fusion is a good swap but I found a 2010 Mazda 3 with super low miles at local junkyard. at first glance it all looks the same except the oil filter. can anyone confirm if this will fit without any crazy mods.

I don’t know much about it personally but I hear a lot of people do the 2.5 conversion on those apparently it makes more power and is almost a direct swap, but like I said I don’t really know much about the swap but you might be able to find something on here about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't think you will be able to swap the 2010 mazda 3 engine with your 2007 mazda 6. I believe only the engine for your 2003-2008 gen may be compatible. Here's a genuine OEM Mazda page showing fitment towards the bottom of the page https://www.mazdapartsprime.com/oem/mazda-short_block-aj0302200r00.html

I'd scratch the 2003 from the simple swap list, the ignition system is different => 2004 and later use coil on plug while the 03 uses a twin coil pack and wasted-spark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look at the US Miata forums. There is a lot of talk there about doing the reverse - fitting a Fusion 2.5 to the Miata. The Mazda 6 2.5 would be similar.

The Front timing cover between Ford/Mazda is different in earlier models. The earlier ignition systems were different. The Timing cover will swap between 1.8/2.0 but due to a change in deck height the 2.3/2.5 is 14mm high from sump to head. The Crank Pulley and the Crank Angle Sensor changed too different - you'd need the Mazda timing cover to be able to put your old crank angle sensor back on, ford has a different sensor. Some timing covers actually had oil galleries early on, later covers did not. Some engines routed dipstick from the sump, some through the block. The RWD Miata and FWD engines have different oil pickup locations due to cross member differences, so a sump swap is needed. And the intake cams need attention - some are VCT, some are not. Some have differences in the Cam position sensor pickup wheel in earlier years - but from about 2008 onwards they became more standardise. But yes, a swap from 2.3 to 2.0 has been done heaps of times before. It's just more interesting to do it the other way around!

Luke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Lukeyson
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing