Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few threads out there about lost keys, but most are about the older style and don't necessarily apply to my situation. My 6 has the "switchblade" style integrated key and fob. I took my family to Hersheypark over the weekend for their Christmas Candylane event (basically, they leave all of the kiddy rides open and maybe one or two for the adults). Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, my keys fell out of my jacket pocket. It could have been on a ride, but I really don't know. I don't remember seeing or feeling them from the time I parked the car. Fortunately, my key ring has a discount card from a local grocery chain on it and if dropped into a mailbox, they will be returned to me. I called Guest Services and requested that they give me a call if any keys show up in the lost and found. So far, I've heard nothing.

This really sucks because I have a number of keys for the datacenter at work and network closets that are very difficult to get duplicates to - not to mention that my stainless steel Lexar USB keyfob was on that chain with quite a bit of data (some of it personal, like my resume) on it.

But what sucks most of all is that I lost my 6's key. I called the dealer today to see how much a replacement would be and they're quoting me (get this!) $212 with labor - over $110 just in labor to reprogram the key and fob. And that's just for the Mazda key - my wife's Toyota has a DEI remote start and I highly doubt I can get another fob for that.

OK, enough griping - now for the point of this thread. I see a ton of key fobs on eBay. I take it that I can pick one of those up and easily program the keyless portion of the system with the guides on this forum. But what about the chip on the key? Is there a procedure out there that I can do myself? I can't imagine it's that difficult - or does it require specialized tools?

Anyway - I'm curious to see what you guys would do. I'm thinking I'll wait at least a week to see if I hear anything, but I'm not hopeful. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Unfortunately, no. Mazda uses a computer for that whole process, and while it's simple to do, they charge you an arm and a leg, as you can see.

My dealer charged me $30 for a key to be cut, and $140 to program it.

You can get the keyfobs off eBay if you want, but you can't program the keyfob until you program the chip...

Sucks, I know.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, no. Mazda uses a computer for that whole process, and while it's simple to do, they charge you an arm and a leg, as you can see.

My dealer charged me $30 for a key to be cut, and $140 to program it.

You can get the keyfobs off eBay if you want, but you can't program the keyfob until you program the chip...

Sucks, I know.
[/b]
Damn, that does suck. So, I guess $110 for the programming isn't exactly out of line then. Sheesh. Thanks for the head's up.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Damn, that does suck. So, I guess $110 for the programming isn't exactly out of line then. Sheesh. Thanks for the head's up. [/b]
Yeah, but I forgot to add this;

My dealership charged a flat rate for programming any number of keys. So, I could program five keys if I wanted to for $140, but I'd have to pay to cut each key ($30 per key).

So, just in case this doesn't happen again, if I were you, I'd probably cut like 3 keys w/ fobs lol.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that suck i kinda want to switch my key to the switchblade and i would like to know how much thy charge u guys?
[/b]
Here's the breakdown from my local dealership:

Labor: $118
Transmitter: $46.43
Key: $47.95

Total: $212.28

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In a stroke of luck, I got a call from Hersheypark security today - they found my keys and were able to track me down via my grocery discount tag. Thank God...

Thanks for everyone's input, but I am sure am glad I won't have to replace them. In fact, I picked up a belt clip/key chain to keep them tethered to me for next time ;)

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,573 Posts
Oh that's very cool you found the keys.

So I have been thinking.. how did you move the car if you lost the keys in the park?

·
Registered
605 Posts
In a stroke of luck, I got a call from Hersheypark security today - they found my keys and were able to track me down via my grocery discount tag. Thank God...

Thanks for everyone's input, but I am sure am glad I won't have to replace them. In fact, I picked up a belt clip/key chain to keep them tethered to me for next time ;)
[/b]
So where did they find them in the park.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh that's very cool you found the keys.

So I have been thinking.. how did you move the car if you lost the keys in the park?
[/b]
Thanks - my wife had her keys (fortunately).

So where did they find them in the park.
[/b]
No idea - I was wondering the same thing, but the security guard I picked them up from didn't really know.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks - my wife had her keys (fortunately).
No idea - I was wondering the same thing, but the security guard I picked them up from didn't really know.
[/b]
Still the most important thing is that you got them back. I wonder if they looked at what you have on the USB drive?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still the most important thing is that you got them back. I wonder if they looked at what you have on the USB drive?
[/b]
Somehow I doubt it. The security guard I spoke to was about 60 or so and didn't look like he could tell a USB flash drive from a cigarette lighter ;) Apparently Giant (it's a local food store chain for those of you not familiar) gave them my contact info since I had a Bonus Card on the keychain. Although, they probably could have found my info on my resume.

Anyway, it's all good now. Hey - if you see a maroon 6 wagon honk at you one of these days, that's me. See you around...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So did you get on the fast red roller coaster that launches you up fast?
[/b]
They mainly have the kiddy rides open in the off season. Besides, I'm too much of a roller coaster pussy to get on that, although my wife loves it. I'll get on a lot of them, but not that particular one (The Storm Runner) :blush: 0-72 in 2 seconds is only cool when I have control of the car and it's on a level surface! LOL...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
They mainly have the kiddy rides open in the off season. Besides, I'm too much of a roller coaster pussy to get on that, although my wife loves it. I'll get on a lot of them, but not that particular one :blush: 0-100 in 3 seconds is only cool when I have control of the car and it's on a level surface! LOL... [/b]
LOL my friends went on that over the summer. He was facing to the right, and got a little bit of whiplash during the launch.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL my friends went on that over the summer. He was facing to the right, and got a little bit of whiplash during the launch.
[/b]
I corrected my post, but you beat me to it. It's actually 0-72 in 2 seconds. It wouldn't surprise me if someone had a sore neck, although it looks like they keep your head pretty secure. I remember my wife saying that the worst part is your head banging side-to-side against the headrest during the snake roll segment. The 90 degree vertical up and down goes by in a flash - she said you barely realize you're doing it.

Not for me, thanks - I like to keep my feet on the earth as much as possible. I'll fly if I have to, but only if taking the car is absolutely impossible ;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
They mainly have the kiddy rides open in the off season. Besides, I'm too much of a roller coaster pussy to get on that, although my wife loves it. I'll get on a lot of them, but not that particular one (The Storm Runner) :blush: 0-72 in 2 seconds is only cool when I have control of the car and it's on a level surface! LOL...
[/b]
That sounds like me. I won't ride the storm runner either. I rode the Great bear once and didn't like it. But i do like the lighting Racer, Wildcat, The super dooper looper and trail blazer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts