Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided two weeks ago to buy the 791 XV from viper. I brought the system to auto sound and security in new rochelle, ny to get installed. In case you don't know already you must sacrifice a key to put in the steering column to operate the remote start.I had two options, sacrifice the 2nd flip key set (419.00) or have the mazda dealer cut and reprogram a valet key). I called my dealer to order one and I was told there IS NO valet key for my year. I called two other dealers and this was also confirmed. Two dealers told me I was stuck but the third said I could just get the key done and not buy the whole box. Cost of new key and reprogamming: 150 plus tax. This brought my total price to over 700.I left the dealer and tried once and for all to finish this. Everything went smooth until I got a call that the remote start still couldn't be done!!! The back part of the key still couldn't fit through the programming slot. He literally dismantled the computer board, sodered some parts back together, spliced wires together and 45 minutes later it finally worked. I tipped him 25 bucks and went on my way. Its been a day and no problems. Anyone else with an 06 experience anything like this? Please share your misery with me...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
pretty typical. if your car has a passive alarm, like PATS, the key must be present to start the car. as part of the install you must buy a universal key box & wire it up to the steering column & the RS. be prepared to have the teeth ground off your spare key.

you can also buy a non-dei product to act as the transponder. i found this with google, but have no personal experience with it: http://bypasskit.com/product.aspx?prodid=PKF3&catid=15

it shows compatibility with M6 & other newer mazdas. any decent installer can wire it up to your dei alarm. expect to pay about $30-40 to have it added, plus the cost of the transponder $40. that's still much less than the cost of a key, say $80 versus $190 (key$150, box, $40 install $40)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pretty typical. if your car has a passive alarm, like PATS, the key must be present to start the car. as part of the install you must buy a universal key box & wire it up to the steering column & the RS. be prepared to have the teeth ground off your spare key.

you can also buy a non-dei product to act as the transponder. i found this with google, but have no personal experience with it: http://bypasskit.com/product.aspx?prodid=PKF3&catid=15

it shows compatibility with M6 & other newer mazdas. any decent installer can wire it up to your dei alarm. expect to pay about $30-40 to have it added, plus the cost of the transponder $40. that's still much less than the cost of a key, say $80 versus $190 (key$150, box, $40 install $40)
[/b]
Thanks for the tip, I unfortunately spent the extra money and had it finished already. The transponder was installed the first time when the main system was put in. They are a viper authorized dealer so I went the route they told me to. Still have the two sets, everything works fine. I'm crossin my fingers that it continues to work.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I decided two weeks ago to buy the 791 XV from viper. I brought the system to auto sound and security in new rochelle, ny to get installed. In case you don't know already you must sacrifice a key to put in the steering column to operate the remote start.I had two options, sacrifice the 2nd flip key set (419.00) or have the mazda dealer cut and reprogram a valet key). I called my dealer to order one and I was told there IS NO valet key for my year. I called two other dealers and this was also confirmed. Two dealers told me I was stuck but the third said I could just get the key done and not buy the whole box. Cost of new key and reprogamming: 150 plus tax. This brought my total price to over 700.I left the dealer and tried once and for all to finish this. Everything went smooth until I got a call that the remote start still couldn't be done!!! The back part of the key still couldn't fit through the programming slot. He literally dismantled the computer board, sodered some parts back together, spliced wires together and 45 minutes later it finally worked. I tipped him 25 bucks and went on my way. Its been a day and no problems. Anyone else with an 06 experience anything like this? Please share your misery with me...
[/b]
I realize you were doing a pretty sophisticated alarm/start system, but in case anyone doesnt know this, Mazda has an excellent remote start kit for the 6. I had my selling dealer install one when I bought my 2006 6S and it works perfectly, immobilizer and all. No, it doesnt require sacrificing a key either.
Total cost from the dealer was $450, parts and labor. Yep, I could have gotten an aftermarket one for less but the whole key hassle just wasnt worth it.
And, this is a Mazda part installed by a Mazda dealer at the tme of delivery, so its covered under the car's bumper-to-bumper warranty.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realize you were doing a pretty sophisticated alarm/start system, but in case anyone doesnt know this, Mazda has an excellent remote start kit for the 6. I had my selling dealer install one when I bought my 2006 6S and it works perfectly, immobilizer and all. No, it doesnt require sacrificing a key either.
Total cost from the dealer was $450, parts and labor. Yep, I could have gotten an aftermarket one for less but the whole key hassle just wasnt worth it.
And, this is a Mazda part installed by a Mazda dealer at the tme of delivery, so its covered under the car's bumper-to-bumper warranty.
[/b]

Im glad its working out for you. Unfortunately my salesperson, or anyone else at that time, could tell me who made it or anything else but that it had a immobilizer and remote start. I assumed it was garbage as did my other friends that had dealership alarms installed. I live in the Bronx and security systems are the most important mod you can do (if ya really care bout ya car) and i needed to do my research before investing. The time and energy, after a day, seem totally worth it as well as the money spent. Hopefully i'll be saying this in a year lol Thanks again dude!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have an 06 6s hatch, and I also have the factory remote start. I didn't want to give up a key just to get this feature. Dealer installed $425.00 parts & labor. Aftermarket systems (depending on features) are really cool, BUT they are only as good as the installer. Transponder keys, programming and such can be a real PITA. That said, all 06 Mazda 6's have vehicle immobilizers. They WILL NOT START/UNLOCK WITHOUT THE TRANSPONDER KEY. Aftermarket systems that use bypass boxes can be a nightmare! So choose your systems and installers carefully. The day my sys was installed, there was another 6 that had to be towed to the dealer because it could not be unlocked or started(aftermarket remote start) Don't get burned!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
pretty much any big box, like best buy & circuit city, will be able to install a RS on the 6. DEI alarms/RSs & install are warrantied for life of the car if installed by an authorized shop.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I believe the Mazda6 line of cars do use PATS.
I installed a 791XV in a Ford with PATS and used a PATS bypass module, no extra key required.
Worked great, you zip tie the little 'chip capsule' to the key cylinder, then program it per instructions.

Heres the link...it was long...

If someone can verify that the Mazda6 uses PATS for sure then this is the ticket.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i don't think the dei 555f/555w will work with the 6. to work without a key in the 555u you'll have to get a transponder from another manufacturer. i'm a big fan if dei/darrell issa, but they don't make products for every car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well bottom line for 06' owners. If you want the VIPER 791XV you have to buy the universal transponder (any authorized dealer would have them) $40, an extra reprogrammed key, $140 and custom installation of that key (sodering required). Save up 700-800 bucks for a warrented install.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Well bottom line for 06' owners. If you want the VIPER 791XV you have to buy the universal transponder. . .
[/b]
the are MANY transponder manufactures out there. most other manufactures' transponders will work with a DEI alarm. you just need to find a shop that knows what they are doing. transponders typically "learn" the code contained within the two keys; both keys are used during install, but neither remain in the car. i'm guessing you bought the universal key transponder & extra key because that's what the install shop sold you because that's what they sell. it's not the only way.

my advice to others is do research & shop around. glad to hear your install is working though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well bottom line for 06' owners. If you want the VIPER 791XV you have to buy the universal transponder (any authorized dealer would have them) $40, an extra reprogrammed key, $140 and custom installation of that key (sodering required). Save up 700-800 bucks for a warrented install.
[/b]
this is absolutely untrue, and sorry to say it, this car is quite basic of an install. Been doing them, for 16 years, and honestly this install for a 791xv would be 499 plus the transponder integration. at the MOST it should be 599.99 installed. If you paid more than that, you got taken. Let me give you a little hint, autopage,(and a couple others) has the piece available that learns your keys, no need for extra keys. If you all want me to write up how this vehicle is done and where everything is and specific part #'s, let me know. I'll be more than happy to do it. here is the piece from Autopage that works in the Mazda 6 (06's included):

KEY-OVERRIDE-SL
Overview
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PATS data bypass kit for Ford, Mecury, Lincoln, Mazda, Toyota & Lexus. 5 simple T-connections at the ignition column, no wires to cut. Self learning, no additional programming required, no key required.

Features/Functionality
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Data Transponder
No Key Required
Push Start Compatible
Self Learning
Theft Protection

Description

For Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Mazda, Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

PATS data bypass kit via encrypted ignition data line.

Already verified on 2007 models. Expected to function on new releases for several years to come.

A High speed 40 Mhz CPU and software written in assembler for our industry standard of quality and performance.

The first bypass kit of its kind where all connections are made right at the ignition column. No need to make high-risk connections at the ECM.

5-wire hookup on all vehicles. No need to cut any of the vehicles wires, only T-connections are required. If the remote-starter fails or the module accidentally becomes unplugged the vehicle will continue to function normally.

Maintains the integrity of the vehicle\'s security on push-to-start ignition systems.

Simplified and fool-proof installation instructions.

2 step programming procedure.

Self-Learning algorithm allows the module to self detect the type of vehicle and adjusts automatically.

There is no need to waste time downloading firmware. Plug & Done. Unit supports over 200 different vehicles right out of the box.

Estimated install and program time is less than 10 minutes.

Vehicle Compatibility

Ford '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '05 '06 '07
Contour
Crown Victoria
Edge
Escape
Escape (Hybrid)
Excursion
Expedition
Explorer
F150
Five Hundred
Focus
FORD GT
Freestar
Freestyle
Fusion
Mustang
Ranger
Sport Track
Taurus
Thunderbird
Windstar

Lexus '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '05 '06 '07
ES 330
GS 300
GS 430
GS 450
GX 470
IS 250
IS 350
LS 430
LX 470
RX 330
RX 350
RX 400
SC 430

Lincoln '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '05 '06 '07
Aviator
Blackwood
Continental
LS
Mark LT
Navigator
Town Car
Zephyr

Mazda '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '05 '06 '07
B3000
B4000
CX-7
Mazda 3
Mazda 5
Mazda 6
MazdaSpeed 3
MazdaSpeed 6
MX-5
RX-8
Tribute

Mercury '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '05 '06 '07
Cougar
Grand Marquis
Marauder
Mariner
Mariner (Hybrid)
Milan
Montego
Monterey
Mountaineer
Mystique
Sable

Toyota '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '05 '06 '07
4 Runner
Avalon
Camry
Camry (Hybrid)
Corolla
FJ Cruiser
Highlander
Matrix
Prius
Rav4
Sienna
Solara
Tacoma
Yaris

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
They did the same thing on my 05. Cracked it open and soldered the chip in into a bypas module or whatever. I think thats pretty normal. How was it a nightmare though when You didn't even do anything?

also, I agree with the above poster. you paid WAY to much. Mine, for the bypass module, extra key and programming from the dealer, alarm installed by an authorized Viper Dealer, INCLUDING extra modules/actuators or whatever they are called so I can control my windows up and down verly broke $500.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts