Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys... Here's the details. I've been eye balling this forum now for a about 3 months trying to learn as much as I can about the MS6. I was raised to appreciate Mazdas (I've owned 4 myself, 3 were RX-7s) and I think it's time I invest in another. I watch autotrader like a hawk, waiting to pounce. I'm also a bit of a snob and only want a GT. My issue is that I've been waiting for SOOO long to find an 07 close by with decent miles to no avail. So, there are a few 06 models that are close but still a good hour and a half away. Before I go trudging out to no-where to look at any 06s, what's the big deal with the clutch? I've modified many-a-vehicle and have daily driven some high performance clutches that don't engage until you're close to the floor and that will spring back harder than your sling shot from 5th grade (when your momma bought it new, of course). I've tried doing searches and have seen bits and pieces of the issue talked about, but not much in terms of details. I've also seen people talking about having it replaced under warranty thru Mazda. Can someone fill me in before I go and make what I hope to be one of the best automotive purchases of my life? (Best at this moment was 03 Acura TL)

Thanks.

And please excuse my feeble attempts at being clever and funny...

·
Registered
884 Posts
eh the clutch issue isn't even really an issue to me. You could have the TSB done if you want, I didn't and I love that it's quirky. You can also do an adjustment yourself if you so feel. I'm sure there is a how to some where on this site, but like I said I never bothered so I have no idea how.

I wouldn't worry about getting an 06 vs 07, they're pretty much the same. At the time it was a different warranty and the boost tubes are different. There are other differences but I can't remember. If you go and pick it up you won't be sorry, it's a great car and a lot of fun.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you do pull the trigger, make sure you opt for an extended warrenty if the car you purchase is out of factory warrenty. It will save you $$ in the long run.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
The clutch engagement from the 2006s is one of the most overhyped "issues" with the car, IMO.

It took some getting use to when it was new, but it's become something I actually enjoy over the years.
Alas, it's on it's last leg now...(see sig)

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Did you see that other thread about this recently? I swear it was in the last week or two and went on and on. I gotta disagree with Groceries about the clutch. I think it sucked. I could drive it fine, but it's the only clutch I've driven where you need to really think about shifting, mostly just staring out into 1st, and then into 2nd. I'd look for the other thread but I'm tired and a little hungover. Good luck with both your searches.

Reactions: IHeartGroceries

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I agree. You DO have to think and concentrate, esp from a stop. But, I got use to it quick. It keeps you on your toes! Lol!!

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
OP- Here's the thread I was talking about: http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazdaspeed6/236538-searching-ms6.html

I didn't think it had the word "clutch" in the title, and being new to the site, I figured you'd have a hard time finding it. I hope this helps. It starts out talking about color/etc.. and quickly gets into a lengthy discussion about the 06 pre-TSB clutch. Good luck with your car search.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
i never thought that the clutch was that bad, come drive my drag car and then we can talk about clutches

op

you said you have been studying up on mazdaspeeds, then why are you still thinking of buying one?

Mazda doesn't fix them, often just denying warranty's or blaming the owners for problems and extended warranty's are a scam.

so you you really want one, you better be ready and able to fix it yourself

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Dont listen to the old hags who just replied to your thread. The speed 6 is a great car, as long as you take care of it and drive her like she meant to be. Ppl that breaking things dont drive her like they should, thats my take on it. Im quite modified and drive her pretty aggressively and the only things that ever failed was the idler pulley which I just recently replaced. The clutch thing, eh its over-rated as well. If you know how to drive then you wouldnt have a problem. I did adjust mines though and it wasnt that hard. If you really want a GT well the 07 is the only way and probably the best... Good Luck. Oh btw, been playing GT4 lately and I just got me the speed 6 and im having with it lol...

Reactions: 808MS6

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
i never thought that the clutch was that bad, come drive my drag car and then we can talk about clutches
I'm gonna take you up on driving your race car, that sounds like fun!! We can chat about it afterwards ;) I've driven a couple cars with a race clutches... they weigh a ton and engage in the top 1" of the clutch. Great for racing, but not a blast to drive around town, or in stop and go traffic to work and back. I didn't know about the clutch adjustment back then, but I did get the TSB done, and am happy with that. Maybe OP will like the 06' clutch, who knows. The adjustment is also an option if the he doesn't like it and can't get the TSB done.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Dont listen to the old hags who just replied to your thread. The speed 6 is a great car, as long as you take care of it and drive her like she meant to be. Ppl that breaking things dont drive her like they should, thats my take on it. Im quite modified and drive her pretty aggressively and the only things that ever failed was the idler pulley which I just recently replaced. The clutch thing, eh its over-rated as well. If you know how to drive then you wouldnt have a problem. I did adjust mines though and it wasnt that hard. If you really want a GT well the 07 is the only way and probably the best... Good Luck. Oh btw, been playing GT4 lately and I just got me the speed 6 and im having with it lol...
+1

I have an '06 and 3 years and 40k miles later, this car has been pretty much problem free. My biggest setback was a few months ago when the factory battery finally died. I have the non TSB clutch and even my gf has no problem driving it. I personally like the on-off clutch, I'm used to it.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
AFAIK- main changes from 06-07-
clutch
intercooler piping from intercooler to throttle body
warranty length (07 is shorter)

I have an 06 GT

I love my 06 GT

I would buy an 06 again in a flash, without question.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I appreciate all the input, guys. Good and bad opinions. I'm praying hard to find a GT w/ low(ish) miles and within 300 miles for a good price, so I suppose whatever year it is, I'll probably snatch it up. There are two good looking 06 GTs I'm looking at.

One is 1.5 hours south of me. Main problem I have is that it's being sold from a repair shop. Makes me very skeptical. I don't know... I'm going to call and inquire. My other issue is that I'm hoping to trade in my diesel truck when I buy my car. Here's the autotrader link:
Cars for Sale: 2006 Mazda MAZDASPEED6 Grand Touring in Cincinnati, OH 45245: Sedan Details - 276990200 - AutoTrader.com

The 2nd car is roughly the same distance away and is for sale at a Mazda Dealer. Price is a little higher along with the mileage, but this one is certified. I'd probably prefer black over the burgandy anyway. Link:
Cars for Sale: 2006 Mazda MAZDASPEED6 in Wooster, OH 44691: Sedan Details - 274049974 - AutoTrader.com

More opinions welcome if you feel inclined.

I'm going to call both of them tomorrow and see if I can get some details on service histories. Just wish I could find some affordable 2007s...

·
Registered
710 Posts
I love my daily-driven '06 MS6. I have it modded with bolt-ons here and there. I've never had a major issue with it yet. *knocks on wood* I run it pretty hard every now and then and let it know who's boss but it give it love with plenty of maintenance. The only issue I had was an O2 sensor replacement that was done under warranty. Other than that, a tail light bulb going out. Funny part is, I never knew such a car existed from Mazda so I kinda stumbled on it. It's a fun car. Love at first drive.

Those who complain about the clutch being touchy are bunch of pansies. I got taught from an old '85 POS Ranger with a funky-assed clutch and it makes me appreciate the MS6's.

I know I don't have much say for an opinion because of my low post count, but it's just my $.02 :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had my 2006 since dec 06 and collected 59k miles. Still on stock clutch, stock battery.. *touchwood*
Changed my brakes recently, I believe around 55k miles?

For the clutch, I have to say I do like the "touchy" feel of it..when I test drove other manual cars, I couldn't feel anything and it felt like stomping on soft tofu.
Just my subjective opinion, but I guess I've gotten used to the stock clutch feel and "weight".

If anything, the clutch adjustment helped a ton.

Couldn't be happier, this car has brought me all over including 10 hrs drive straight without issues. As others have said, take care of it, it'll return the favor :)

For some reason the mod bug is bitting hard at 59k miles now. lol.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
FWIW-
I got much better vibes from the certified pre-owned one at the mazda dealer.

Oh, and at some point today another proud owner will chime in and clarify that other one ain't burgundy, that would be BCM- Black Cherry Mica. Although I feel that TiGray is, by far, the most desirable color, BCM is particularly impressive for it's multiple personalities. Doesn't really matter- go bargain at the dealership.

Reactions: IHeartGroceries

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Love my 06 clutch. Wouldn't change a thing.

Reactions: 808MS6

·
Registered
5,342 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE:

The cheaper ms6 with lower miles in Cincy was sold last week, evidently... The dealer in Wooster still has theirs. I just need to get some time to drive up there. Working overtime this week and that really interferes...

·
Registered
142 Posts
UPDATE:

The cheaper ms6 with lower miles in Cincy was sold last week, evidently... The dealer in Wooster still has theirs. I just need to get some time to drive up there. Working overtime this week and that really interferes...
Park Mazda of Wooster? Who are you dealing with there?

I bought mine there in August of 08 and dealt with Rick Preast. Did everything over the phone/internet. Even negotiated my trade.

The whole dealership was great to work with. My only gripe was that I was coming from like 2 1/2 hours away (at my parents in Pittsburgh) and they didn't have any of the paperwork ready for me, which resulted in waiting around for a bit, then having a 5 1/2 hour drive back home to Harrisburg.

I also went with a CPO. In my mind it's worth the couple of hundred dollars just for the power train/turbo aspect of it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts